PDA

View Full Version : Ge 1 silicone. Is white ok to use?

lastlight
03-26-2011, 06:43 AM
I spent hours today blading the inside of my used sump tank and cleaning it with acetone for a reseal. She was mint inside if you look past the million scratches in this tank lol.

I had half the tank done and went to load another tube of GE 1. It's white. GREAT. Check the other tube... white as well!

Now it was just a re-seal so I'm sure doing the rest tomorrow would have been ok but I want it all done in one shot and also have my 40g water change compartment panel done so it's all seamless and not in parts.

You can image how it was to try and clean as much out of the seams as possible before ditching it for the night. Have to blade the tank again tomorrow and pickup new silicone.

But is white ok to use? Never seen it done and not worth the risk I thought.

LeeR
03-26-2011, 06:51 AM
it would work but wouldn't look nice. you should do it all at once, silicone dose not stick to its self very well if at all.

lastlight
03-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Yeah the proof was in the re-seal someone had already done to this tank. It was an inhc thick! Peeled right off in some spots and I found water under it.

There was even a piece of slate siliconed to the bottom of the tank (and covered over in more silicone). Def a strange tank but it'll work great once I get 3 tubes of MATCHING silicone lol.

golf nut
03-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I am not totally positive but I believe white silicone contains a mold resistant formula.

cale262
03-26-2011, 01:30 PM
I think the white in the sump would look real damn sexxy with white equip. (Skimmer etc.)...Hmmm...

lastlight
03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Both tubes look identical and are GE 1. Only difference appears to be the colour but I won't be the first to blaze that trail!

The Grizz
03-26-2011, 04:25 PM
I know nothing about GE 1 be it white or clear, I have never used it. I myself would go the safe route and use GE SCS 1200 black, I know where you might be able to get some Brett. :biggrin:

truperc
03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I have used white on a sump that wouldn't be seen. It worked fine. 7 years later not ill affects.