PDA

View Full Version : low profile cleaning magnet??

christyf5
03-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Anyone know of a low profile cleaning magnet that can handle thicker glass? Some of my corals are getting close to the glass and my current mag float does a number on them. I suppose I could just prune them but a lower profile magnet would be nice too.

lastlight
03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
what sort of time will that really buy you lol? Couple months before you REALLY gotta prune? Talk to Dez he has a super thin 1/8 or 1/16 inch one he uses right now.

christyf5
03-25-2011, 10:34 PM
ya I kow, pathetic. I hardly have any time for the tank these days though. I feed daily ( or most days) and waterchange and scrape the glass every week. Hopefully in a couple months I;l have more time so at least it could get me to then :)

lastlight
03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I'd say you have a very valid excuse =)

Dez
03-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I made my own. I used the wood half of a hammerhead (cause it's a super strong magnet) and I bought a coated flat magnet (1/4" thick) and put the replacement velcro portion of a magfloat on the coated magnet on there. It worked for a few months, but now there's over a dozen spots in my tank where the 1/4" magnet will break coral tips off because it's grown too close to the glass. Like you, I don't do too much and I'm too lazy to get in there and trim. Oh well, flat sps tips it is. For now at least. Hope this helps.

christyf5
03-25-2011, 11:59 PM
I made my own. I used the wood half of a hammerhead (cause it's a super strong magnet) and I bought a coated flat magnet (1/4" thick) and put the replacement velcro portion of a magfloat on the coated magnet on there. It worked for a few months, but now there's over a dozen spots in my tank where the 1/4" magnet will break coral tips off because it's grown too close to the glass. Like you, I don't do too much and I'm too lazy to get in there and trim. Oh well, flat sps tips it is. For now at least. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dez, I'll have a go at it :)

BlueWorldAquatic
03-26-2011, 01:19 AM
I was going to suggest what Dez said, I actually have the kits in store.

Ken