PDA

View Full Version : Kent Tech-M Magnesium in Edmonton

mark
03-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Didn't see any in the 3 stores I visited today, any vendors carrying the gallon jugs in Edmonton?

RedCoralEdmonton
03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Sorry but we dont have any currently but if you are stuck we do sell bulk pharma grade mag that you can mix easily....

Steve

mark
03-26-2011, 02:46 AM
planning a little chemical warfare on the bryopsis and all the reading is to raise the Mg using the Kent produce, thanks though

staceyd72
03-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Hi Mark,

J&L usually has it, great price also, they just recently had a 15% off on Kent supplements.

Good luck with the Bryopsis, been there also. Slowly raised Mg to 1800 over a month, kept it there for a month and Bryopsis melted away, thanks to Kent. Snails may move a little slower, but all else should be fine.

RedCoralEdmonton
03-26-2011, 06:20 AM
you can use any Mg supplement to fight off the bryopsis.... but good luck on your search!

Steve

Red Coral Aquariums
03-26-2011, 06:51 AM
planning a little chemical warfare on the bryopsis and all the reading is to raise the Mg using the Kent produce, thanks though

I could send some up Sunday to Steve at Red Coral if you havn't found any.
Kevin

whatcaneyedo
03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Free shipping on orders over $100 from J&L. Thats what I did, but I understand if you're trying to support local business.

Two of us in PG have used it when magnesium salts didn't work to kill off bryopsis. I still amazed that it actually worked. I just wish I did it years ago! I only went as high as 1500ppm by adding about 200ml a day until the jugs ran out.

Madreefer
03-26-2011, 07:09 PM
you can use any Mg supplement to fight off the bryopsis.... but good luck on your search!

Steve

Sorry but I disagree. Many including myself have tried other Mg supplements and they do not work on bryopsis. There is something in the Kent Mag that melts it away if Mg is raised over 1500ppm. My overflow was filled with bryopsis and it was quickly growing on my rocks. After adding the Kent it went away. I've neglected my tank in the last month and I see a very small patch showing up again on my overflow. Time for more.

staceyd72
03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi,

I would have to respectfully disagree; in my case, I used several kilos of Mag salt(BRS), to no avail, the Kent Tech M worked very well for me. However, I did not try any other manufacturer brand :neutral:

Steve

RedCoralEdmonton
03-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Alright, all i know is, I had a small outbreak a few years back and used BRS mag and brought it up....went away....i keep my mag up all the time and havent had it return, in any of my SPS tanks..... so i dunno. I guess the moral of the story is use whatever works for ya?

Cheers!

Steve

fishytime
03-27-2011, 02:41 AM
whats causing the bryopsis?

mark
03-27-2011, 04:57 AM
would say started with neglecting water changes but even though getting back on the tank, since the stuff is established it's hard to get rid of.

fishytime
03-27-2011, 02:21 PM
guess my point is, unless you figure out what it is that is causing your flare ups you will likely be having an on going war with the bryopsis....raising your Mg will work to help get rid of it , but having your Mg that high throws your water chemistry way out of balance..... you should try and think about what is at the "root" of the problem:wink:......