PDA

View Full Version : Reef Scaping

Wayne
03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
How does everyone do reef scaping on a setup system?

I was planning on shutting down the flow pulling the rocks, drilling, epoxy and rod them into the shapes I want then putting them back in as desired. I know that the rock needs to be splashed with water every few minutes so the bathtub is going to be my friend (of course when my wife isn't home) :lol:

I was planning on having a suction tube to suck up any detrius that may get stirred up when I get to the bottom, which at the end will result in a water change. Any other precautions/advice to make this more seemless?

cathyg_99
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
How does everyone do reef scaping on a setup system?

I was planning on shutting down the flow pulling the rocks, drilling, epoxy and rod them into the shapes I want then putting them back in as desired. I know that the rock needs to be splashed with water every few minutes so the bathtub is going to be my friend (of course when my wife isn't home) :lol:

I was planning on having a suction tube to suck up any detrius that may get stirred up when I get to the bottom, which at the end will result in a water change. Any other precautions/advice to make this more seemless?

will you do mine to?? haha ive just given up!

Wayne
03-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I will let you know when I am done :lol: The drilling and gluing can't be that hard, its making it look natural that is the hard part. I have specific ideas that I drew out on paper and I am going to try and recreate with the rock that I have.

If that doesn't work I may be buying some dry rock building it out of the tank then sticking it in a seeding it.

globaldesigns
03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I personally don't use any rods and glue.

I look at it as your most expensive lego setup. You try to interlock things and make it solid. In some cases where there is a little wobbliness, then I use a bit of epoxy glue. That is it.

I guess it depends what you want to do, I have seen some outragous aquascapes. The only way they would work is if rods, glue, ties, etc were used.

And have fun with it!!!

Lance
03-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Drilling the rock isn't difficult, but it is very messy. Wear goggles, old clothes and do it outside if possible. Use a masonry bit and go slow. Too fast and the goo flies everywhere. Drilling too big a hole at once may break your rock apart, so if you need a large hole, step up in drill bit sizes. Have fun! :biggrin:

cathyg_99
03-24-2011, 10:45 PM
my problem is every time i even put my hands in the tank my fiance asks "are you almost done?"

globaldesigns
03-24-2011, 11:04 PM
my problem is every time i even put my hands in the tank my fiance asks "are you almost done?"

That is funny, especially when the answer is always NO! :lol:

reefwars
03-24-2011, 11:20 PM
wayne buddy.... heres some alternatives to drilling holes:)

super glue
duct tape
elastic bands
velcro
pl premium
chewing gum
needle and thread

these are what every one else does lol:):):) cheers budddddddyyy!!!!!

George
03-25-2011, 06:15 AM
I stacked rocks using acrylic rods in both of my tanks. Before drilling, it's better to build a box exactly the dimensions of your tank using some cardboard. The box only has three wall, leave out one long wall, so you can look at your aquascape at eye level.
Use 3/16 rods if you have a smaller tank and smaller rocks. Use 1/2 rods if you have large rocks.
It's very easy if you have a powerful drill. I did my 180g aquascape in an afternoon.

someguy
03-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I did mine with dry rock and fiberglass driveway markers from HD. Once I was happy with the look, or more importantly, when my wife was happy with the look, they went into the tank with a piece of live rock to seed.
It takes a while because you would be starting from scratch, but you get exactly what you want, and it is very stable.
I like using the rods because you can still take out rocks every now and then if you need to do any maintenance.

Diana
03-25-2011, 08:42 PM
For all my aquascapes I come prepared with a general idea of how the shape of the rock will best fit the size and shape of the aquarium. I then pull all the rock (if it is already in there), fit in my base pieces, and then interlock the rocks together making sure they are as stable as possible. Once I have all the rock in place I'll use some underwater epoxy to secure it. Easy, mess free, and the best thing is it will be easy to change if needed. HTH :D

-Diana

Wayne
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Any tips for the underwater epoxy? I have used it before on wet rock and never had good adhesion....

And Denny "super glue
duct tape
elastic bands
velcro
pl premium
chewing gum
needle and thread
"... LOL :lol:

Diana
03-25-2011, 11:56 PM
I prefer the Aquascape epoxy (blue box, has a greenish putty and a pink putty that you mix). I'll roll a ball of it loosely together and then stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it up, and then work it together for a few minutes to completely blend it.

The best way to secure the rock is to drain a good amount of the water out of the tank into large (clean) garbage bins, so your rockwork is exposed (you can aquascape it this way, its usually easier to see) and then put the epoxy in cracks near joins in the rock. Stuff it in and press to form it against the rock. This tends to work better than squishing it between two rocks. I'll use quarter-sized balls all over the rock in as many places as I can and then fill the tank back up with water. It will cure underwater and I'd give it at least a day to fully cure before testing it :).

Its never 100% though, if you ream on it or press too hard even after its cured it could break apart. But I guess its a trade off, its nice to be able to move the rock incase you need to.

:)
-Diana

Wayne
03-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Hum maybe I might just drill and rod the rod and not use epoxy. That way if I want to change it in the future it all comes apart and the rods can be pulled out, holes could be filled with frag plugs with frags on them :lol:

fishytime
03-26-2011, 12:09 AM
personally......I would be really nervous about doing that much work to the rock in an established system.....gonna cause yourself a cycle.....

Wayne
03-26-2011, 12:21 AM
personally......I would be really nervous about doing that much work to the rock in an established system.....gonna cause yourself a cycle.....

That is my greatest fear! But after my tank took its turn for the worst, I have decided to change directions for coral. So I want to make a more desirable reef scape for the new stuff and the fish...

I may do only a few pieces every week with tons of filtration and a water change after each session to help lessen the problems that could arise. Also nothing new in the tank till everything is done.