PDA

View Full Version : Midas Blenny biting his tail

ScubaSteve
03-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I just recently lost my butterfly to ich and now my blenny is acting funny. As he's swimming around he'll stop and bite himself right in front of his tail like he's itchy. I don't see any signs of ich on him or any of the other fish in my tank and they have fought it off in the past no problem. I've been feeding him garlic non-stop since the battle with the butterfly started. I can't see any outward signs of any disease so I can't really diagnose him. I also can't catch him as he's too damn fast and he likes to hide in the rock encrusted with acros, so it's not like I can move him to quarantine with his home. Oh, and traps don't work with this guy either.

Has anyone seen this behavior in a midas belnny before? What does it mean? How should I treat this guy or should I try to ride it out?

christyf5
03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
I have a lined blenny that does the same thing occasionally. I've never seen any ick on him though. I thought it might be their natural behavior as they can reach that spot, why not scratch it if its itchy?

ScubaSteve
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I've have this guy for a while and this is out of the ordinary, which is why it is worrying me. He's been doing it a fair bit recently.

christyf5
03-24-2011, 09:11 PM
ok I just took a good hard look at my blenny and he has a few spots along his dorsal fin near his tail. His dorsal fin is transparent so its a bit easier to see the spots but maybe try to have a good look at your blenny. Ick isn't necessarily a death sentence, if he's eating well try adding some garlic to your food.

globaldesigns
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I hope your fish is ok, but very cool... A fish that chases his tail. HEHE :lol:

Sorry, had to say it, I was just on a thread discussing dog petitions, and still have that in my head. :biggrin: