PDA

View Full Version : Bone Headed Mistake

rstar
03-23-2011, 03:11 AM
In my infinite stupidity today i had my light fixture upside down on the rim of my tank to clean the bulbs and i accidently dropped one end of the fixture into the water. Needless to say i think i shorted out one of the ballasts on my tek 4 bulb fixture. Are they easy to get at and replace? Is there something i can check to see if it is infact the ballast? When i turn the switch on for the two bulbs that wont light the switch turns green so it is getting power.

bignose
03-23-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm sure you can replace the ballast. In the mean time I would use the daylight bulbs on your good ballast until you get a replacement and I wouldn't try turning it on the bad one anymore(fire hazard:redface:).

ScubaSteve
03-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Ya, likely a fried ballast. Just make sure that your fixture doesn't have a fuse. It likely doesn't but that would be my first logical step (otherwise you'll get a new ballast, try to make it work, it won't work, you'll spend hours trying to figure it out until you realize it was a F***ing fuse and you'll feel stupid). You can get Fulham Workhorse ballasts for pretty cheap (like $20 - $40) and they are, ummmm, workhorses... they kick ass. You could swap that bugger in a night.