PDA

View Full Version : Picaso Trigger & Blue cheek pair

Newbies
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Looking for opinions on housing together in a 180g 6' tank a Picaso Trigger and a pair of Blue Cheek male/female Triggers. The Picaso is the current inhabitant and the new additions will be the Blue Cheek(Throat) Triggers. I have not found anything online saying no to the houing of them just to be cautious as they like all fish may not like each other but hey how would the odds be of most Humans being compatable in an area of equal size. :lol::twised:.

Thanks for the opinions Im sure to get!!!!

Skimmerking
03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
so you bought the blue throat trigger's

Newbies
03-22-2011, 02:10 PM
In quarantine right now, yeap.

Ryan
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I think your asking for trouble. It might have been okay the other way but it won't surprise me if we see a post in the future with either the blue throats forsale, the Picasso forsale or worse dead blue throats.

Newbies
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Would this be Experiance talking Ryan or just a guess? I should mention the Picaso is about half the size of the Blue Throats and very submissive to the other tank mates even during feeding time, the others are a Moray Snowflake - Cherub angel - Large Scopas Tang - Small Lionfish and a cleaner wrasse plus the usual assortment of snails and hermits and shrimp. Thanks for the input thus far!:smile:

ponokareefer
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Your lionfish or eel will make your angel lunch one day. Both can open their mouths very wide when they want to.

As for mixing triggers, I have no personal experience, but had researched into mixing different types as I have a blue throat(trying to get 2 to pair up right now). It seems like it is pretty hit and miss, sometimes working, sometimes not. It is a risk, but sometimes, depending on the fish, it can work. You do have a larger tank and the current trigger is smaller, so that is in your favor.

Sorry for not giving a more clear answer, but it is similar to asking if dwarf angels are reef safe. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, and even if it is yes, it can change in the future.

Ryan
03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I have kept both and the Blue throats are pretty submissive and timid fish where as HumuHumu or picasso triggers are very aggressive.

Although he may not be too aggressive now it will definatly come with age and size.

Newbies
03-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Good to know! Thanks Ryan.... On a sad note this may end up a non point as the female has not made it thru Quarantine eating fine Tuesday Dead Wednesday morning with just her and the male in quarantine so if a nother female is not found I may place the male with a diffent home as Im hoping on a pair. But thanks all and more opinions more than welcome as Im still leaning this way in the very near future

Ryan
03-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Thats the ther thing I have experienced with Blue throats... death rates.

I have rdered in a total of 3 pairs and have lost every one except for one. It resides in a old customer and friends tank as far as I know.

The Grizz
03-25-2011, 01:48 AM
That's crappy to hear Sam.:sad:

Trigger Man
03-25-2011, 02:41 AM
sorry to hear about your female blue throat, for keeping trigger I kept a niger, crosshatch and picaso for a long time and they all worked out fine. The Niger was the most agressive, and would have to take it out whenever I put a new fish in. I would leave him in either my hospital tank or sump for a week or so, and move some rock around, then re add him and it would be all good.