PDA

View Full Version : Apex vs Cerebra? vs Profilux

es355lucille
03-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Ok, so I was reading the Apex vs Profilux thread and I was wondering if there are any new advancements/comments/feedback/recommendations? I have added links below to the other threads.

I am looking for a controller to look after the following:
1. Lighting
a. Main MH lighting
b. T5 lighting
c. LED moonlighting
d. Possible future LED main lighting? (who knows)
2. Automatic top off
3. Pumps
a. Vortechs
b. other pumps?
4. GHL dosing pump(controls on its own now, add to system?)
5. Temperature
6. Salinity
7. Cooling fans
8. Webcam? ( this year while I was on holidays skype helped my son and I talked about repairs to a skimmer....it was nice to see the problem and be able to help from afar. Believe me that was a great help!!) - I have no idea what controllers can do these days.

*Software interface - remote, I need to be able to access and make changes from somewhere else.

** This is the link to the other thread called Profilux vs Apex.http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71270&highlight=profilux+apex

*** This is the link to the Cerebra, that appears to be beta testing.http://reefgizmo.com/2011/02/vertex-cerebra-now-on-beta/

Does anyone know anything about the Vertex Cerebra? Timing on when it will be in production? What it does/doesn't?

I am just looking to see if opinions have changed in the past few months regarding controllers. Is there anything else on the market at this time? Like most electronic equipment some of it will be obsolete by now....and new versions will be coming out.

Thanks in advance for all your comments and advice.

The Grizz
03-21-2011, 04:39 AM
So far I like my Profilux 2ex but ATM all I'm running on it is 4 - 250w MH, 4 - 54w T5's, temp, pH & salinity probes. I am going to add 4 more T5's with dimmable ballast & power bar, heater & fan controls and a doser. With a little help from previous owner and Aqua Digital it was relitivily easy to program.

es355lucille
03-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks Grizz, hey how do you find the software? In talking to a couple of guys they say the software is the downfall as it has been quirky....and not stable. I am reviewing the Profilux III right now as I have downloaded the manual. Just kinda wondering if I spend money on this unit....or go for the cheaper Apex unit. The Cerebra.....I know nothing about and am hoping someone can tell me more.

So far I like my Profilux 2ex but ATM all I'm running on it is 4 - 250w MH, 4 - 54w T5's, temp, pH & salinity probes. I am going to add 4 more T5's with dimmable ballast & power bar, heater & fan controls and a doser. With a little help from previous owner and Aqua Digital it was relitivily easy to program.

Aquattro
03-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Based on all the opinions and research I had done, I choose the Apex. Having run it for a couple of months now, I'm really happy with my decision. I don't use it to it's full potential yet, but I can't think of what I'd need to ever do that it can't do. (not a real big lightning storm kinda guy :))

The Grizz
03-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Some of the PC software versions are a bit quirky but the new version 6 seems to be working good for me. I to am not using to it full potential, like Brads and his Apex. I was doing a lot of research as well at one point but got a good deal on this unit gently used and with warranty, saved a couple hundred $$$.

es355lucille
03-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks Brad.....I found your past thread very helpful and informative. But you know with electronics......is there updates/new stuff out etc.....I am looking to see if I am making the right choice right now.

I am glad to hear you are happy with the Apex. The added cost of the Profilux may not be worth it if I can do everything on the Apex. Any downside to the Apex that you have found? Do you use the software?

Based on all the opinions and research I had done, I choose the Apex. Having run it for a couple of months now, I'm really happy with my decision. I don't use it to it's full potential yet, but I can't think of what I'd need to ever do that it can't do. (not a real big lightning storm kinda guy :))

es355lucille
03-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Nice to hear that they are working on the software side. Are you using the Profilux as your auto top off Grizz? do you have a GHL doser?
Thanks for your input

Some of the PC software versions are a bit quirky but the new version 6 seems to be working good for me. I to am not using to it full potential, like Brads and his Apex. I was doing a lot of research as well at one point but got a good deal on this unit gently used and with warranty, saved a couple hundred $$$.

The Grizz
03-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Nice to hear that they are working on the software side. Are you using the Profilux as your auto top off Grizz? do you have a GHL doser?
Thanks for your input

ATO is next on the list as my plans are rather complicated, I have a doser on hold for me so that is yet to come.

Aquattro
03-21-2011, 06:38 AM
. Any downside to the Apex that you have found? Do you use the software?

No downside that I've found yet, and software is actually built in to the web server. Which means I can connect with my laptop, ipad or phone, as it's all OS independent.
Took me about 2 minutes to get it connected to my LAN and connect from my laptop. another 2 minutes to configure my router to port forward, allowing access from the Internet.
Programing was a breeze, so far I've only need to ask about one syntax in the support forum.
I had a question for Kurt, the owner of Neptune, and he replied to me within 10 minutes on a Saturday night.
Overall, very impressed with the product, and it saved me over 600 bucks vs a comparable Profilux setup.

cale262
03-21-2011, 01:41 PM
I have an APEX, an RKE and a RKL...they're all capable of performing the same functions and all have possitives and negatives.

No Proflux yet, but I may buy a P-three just to try it out...I just have a hard time justifying the expense as it is three times the $$$ to do the same things, and as any electronics go, It will be obselete just as quick as all the others.

APEX > custom progaming.
RKE > simple programing.
Proflux > mucho more $$$
Cerebra > Looks shiney...not available...yet.

Bblinks
03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a Apex and I love it. Easy to use and great customer support.

es355lucille
03-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I have an APEX, an RKE and a RKL...they're all capable of performing the same functions and all have possitives and negatives.

No Proflux yet, but I may buy a P-three just to try it out...I just have a hard time justifying the expense as it is three times the $$$ to do the same things, and as any electronics go, It will be obselete just as quick as all the others.

APEX > custom progaming.
RKE > simple programing.
Proflux > mucho more $$$
Cerebra > Looks shiney...not available...yet.

Thanks for your comments cale262. I wish I knew what price the Cerebra is coming into the market at. Looks kinda cool.

I have a Apex and I love it. Easy to use and great customer support.

Thanks Bblinks! its sure nice to have customer support for all of our equipment. Glad the Apex guys are supporting their product well...this seems to be a common factor I have noted with Apex....its a positive note that goes a long way.