PDA

View Full Version : advice to help prevent a cycle in a tank move

bkelly
03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Im upgrading tanks from 75 gal to 180. Im planning on picking up the 180 which is stocked and 5 hours away then once home tearing down my 75 and transferring both systems into the 180. I will set up a temporary home for the livestock while waiting for me to do everything. If i keep the rock and sand in tank water and in the cab for the move so not too cold would i be able to re use everything and keep from having a cycle. theres also a refugium with sand so it would probably be left undisturbed and re used.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Do not reuse the sane, if you have to clean it thouroughly.

reuse as much as the old water as possible

Stability or start up (prodibio) would help keep the ammonia in check.

Safe Travel (Prodibio) would work, but don't think it is avalable to us.

blkhwk
03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Im no expert but from what ive read its the sand thats the problem,stirring up the sand will release nitrates and gasses and create a spike.most ppl start with new or cleaned and thorough rinsed sand.

The Grizz
03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Like BWA stated if you have to reuse the sand THOUROUGHLY clean the sand. I have done this a couple time's with about 30 lbs of sand, it takes a long time to do it properly. I used a large fish net and only did 2 cups at a time under very hot water.

viperfish
03-20-2011, 05:04 PM
+1 on the sand. Some good info here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/lrshippingfaqs.htm

Wayne
03-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Is the 180 going in the same place as the 75 was?

skabooya
03-20-2011, 06:01 PM
before you start tearing anything out or disturbing anything too much suck out as much water as possible and store it to use in the next tank.
And yes either start with fresh sand or super clean yours. You can sell a few handfuls of your sand to others as Live sand to help seed a system. You can also put a small amount back in your tank to help seed or re seed your sandbed. :)

Cranky When Wet
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
+1 on the sand. Some good info here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/lrshippingfaqs.htm

+1 for WetWebMedia.com !!!!

Do a search of only the site for "moving live sand"

I personally feel moving an old sand bed is dangerous as there's always a lot of die off with corresponding cycle...

You could buy non-live sand (clean) and seed it from the old sand (take a few cups over)... but,

in the end it's all about patience........................

Bunny >:-)

reefan
03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Yep tank cycles even on a smaller scale seem to be inevitable.

bkelly
03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
thanks everyone, ill go the route of new sand and seed with a bit of mine,

yes the new tank is going in the same spot of the 75 so i got to do everything at once - itll be a busy weekend.

I hope my manderine dragonnet finds enough food off the rocks and im not taking what he eats away.

The Grizz
03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
thanks everyone, ill go the route of new sand and seed with a bit of mine,

yes the new tank is going in the same spot of the 75 so i got to do everything at once - itll be a busy weekend.

I hope my manderine dragonnet finds enough food off the rocks and im not taking what he eats away.

That is a good choice if you are nervous about a cycle for sure. If you keep your live rock in water, heated and flow in the bin and you should be fine. If you see any pods when you remove the LR be sure to net them and put with the rock.

Navarchus
03-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Hi
I don’t know what depth your send is/was but if it is over couple of inches I would handle it very carefully and wash it for sure. Don’t touch the send before you get all the livestock and rocks out. In some cases a toxic sulfide compounds can get into the water body and kill everything.

If you are planning to add rocks to the new tank and there are dry rocks you should cycle them in a separate tank/canister before introducing into the main tank.

One should keep in mind that the aquarium is a dynamic living system, cycling is an important part of it….your system always unnoticeably mini cycling and any major change will result in some more substantial cycle.

Good luck

waynemah
03-21-2011, 04:34 AM
I just purchased an *established* tank and a day after the move all of the fish were dead. If I were to do it again, I'd move the livestock to an established location and spend a few days testing to ensure everything will be ok. I'm no expert but it doesn't feel good when you flush $500 down the toilet.

All of the water to be kept was pulled out before disturbance and new sand / stability was used :cry:. The tank is now in a wicked cycle.

bkelly
03-21-2011, 06:03 AM
E god what was the cause of all the fish death, this happened to someone i know too. ive also heard of lots of cases where it goes without a hitch. Both systems are established and i will get as much water from the 180 as i can carry for the trip. (probably 100 gal) I was planning of having an in term system set up or heating some of the water from the 180 once home and putting the livestock in there with circulation then go at the teardown /set up. all rock will remain in water for the trip but the temp will drop. I will have new sand and ill look into Probio stability . Ill test closely. Is it better to wait a couple days and be ready for a big water change before putting any fish or corals back in incase of a crash and let the tank settle and clear.