PDA

View Full Version : Cool ballast??? why?

BCOrchidGuy
01-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Okay so I'm running my 400 watt Ushio 10,000k bulb it gives of great light. The ballast however runs MUCH cooler than it did with my other 400 watt bulb. I ran that other bulb for a year and a half with no problems but the ballast (ballast case actually) was always to hot to touch. If I wanted to move it I had to unplug it and let it cool. This time with the Ushio bulb the ballast is just warm, I can touch the case no problems, any ideas or thoughts?

Doug

robbyville
01-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Hmm, well as your topic says cool ballast? I can tell you that I have a standard PFO dual 250w and I don't cool it with anything other than natural air. Perhaps if I had it in an enclosed space I would, but I figure that it reduces my heating bills by just leaving it as is!

Rob

BCOrchidGuy
01-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Sorry Rob, my question is, why is my ballast so much cooler with the Ushio bulb as the load. It ran very hot with a SunMaster bulb, to hot to touch, now with the Ushio it's nice and cool. Just wondering if anyone has a thought.

Doug

robbyville
01-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Whoops, gotcha!

I certainly don't have a knowledgeable reply to that! However maybe the ballast is better suited to the Ushio's and is not having to overdrive the system? I would have thought that this would make more of a difference to the bulb than the ballast, but maybe not?

Good luck!

Rob

BCOrchidGuy
01-07-2004, 02:31 AM
Yeah kind of odd, the ballast and bulb were from a hydroponics store, don't know why it's running so cool now.. I'm baffled, not complaining, just.. baffled.

Doug

BCOrchidGuy
01-08-2004, 03:27 AM
Bump, I'm still hoping someone can tell me why my ballast is so much cooler.

Doug

Bob I
01-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Bump, I'm still hoping someone can tell me why my ballast is so much cooler.

Doug

As far as I know the heat is caused by the amount of current the bulb is drawing. Therefore if the new bulb draws less, the ballast will be cooler.

BTW I am a Red Green fan, and I have always heard him say "If it ain't broke, you are not trying" I'll watch another episode of the many I have on tape just to check. :biggrin: :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
01-08-2004, 03:52 AM
Yeah Red is a Canadian Icon, I swear he's one of the funniest guys on TV

Doug