PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Live Rock?

FaRico
03-19-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm going to be purchasing Live Rock out of someones tank. It has some polyps and assorted SPS and LPS on it. Do I need to cycle it? If I do will it kill all of the good that is on it? Thanks for any tips.

monocus
03-19-2011, 02:31 AM
keep the rock in water and you shouldn't have to cycle very long-you will probably have some sponge die off with a quick air exposure.if it's a new tank ,you will have to wait for the bacteria to adjust.keep monotoring your water peramaters

FaRico
03-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Should I keep lights on it as well?

staceyd72
03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Don't forget, there could also be a lot of 'bad' on there as well :wink: I personally cycle all live rock using a spray bar mounted overhead, with the rock raised up out of the water, most hitchhikers fall to the bottom of the vat. But you will have to observe more closely for other pest (Aptasia, Manjoes, etc.)

I'm going to be purchasing Live Rock out of someones tank. It has some polyps and assorted SPS and LPS on it. Do I need to cycle it? If I do will it kill all of the good that is on it? Thanks for any tips.

Wayne
03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Should I keep lights on it as well?

Yes for the corals. The rock will see a small cycle, "new tank stability" products will help for sure :) GL

FaRico
03-19-2011, 10:27 PM
I guess what I'm wondering now is should I cycle/cure it in tubs before it gets put into a main setup?

VFX
03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I guess what I'm wondering now is should I cycle/cure it in tubs before it gets put into a main setup?

A safe bet would be to remove the corals & let the rock go through it's small cycle away from your main tank.

You can then take the opportunity to scrub off any algae that's on the rock.

Personally I'd just brush off any algae, rinse in salt water & put it straight in my tank. It's what I usually do when I get live rock from a fellow reefer. Not the most risk free way but hasn't done me any harm so far.

Just keep an eye out for ammonia spikes & have some salt water on hand for water changes.