PDA

View Full Version : Do I clean the refugium?

ashley
03-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Ok this may be a silly question, but I've never had a fuge before. I set it up about 2weeks ago and I'm noticing a small amount debris on the bottom. Do I siphon out the refugium as well? Or is that going to disrupt everthing? I've got lots of pods in there and I don't want to take any out...

thanks

globaldesigns
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok this may be a silly question, but I've never had a fuge before. I set it up about 2weeks ago and I'm noticing a small amount debris on the bottom. Do I siphon out the refugium as well? Or is that going to disrupt everthing? I've got lots of pods in there and I don't want to take any out...

thanks

Syphoning out your sump/refuge won't hurt anything. Just make sure you replace you water with fresh salt mixture.

I personally don't clean mine, so I have sponges, etc growing all over it, so mine looks dirty compared to some prestine ones.

naesco
03-19-2011, 12:20 AM
The more gunk and algae in it the more life it sustains. I don't clean it.

ashley
03-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok perfect thanks for the replys!

Navarchus
03-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Do you keep cleanup crew in there?

ashley
03-21-2011, 04:07 PM
no I don't have anything in there at the moment, just macroalgae

naesco
03-21-2011, 09:31 PM
no I don't have anything in there at the moment, just macroalgae

The purpose of the refugium is to provide food for your coral and small fish. pods, bacteria etc.

Snails are OK unless they are bumblebee snails (predators) but hermit crabs are predators.
The eggs and offspring of snails will provide food as well.

ashley
03-23-2011, 02:43 AM
I do have live rock in there as well, and sand. So far theres lots of pods. Should I maybe add some sand stirring snails?