PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Drilling 10 gallon

jphong
03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi guys,

I need some advice on drilling 10 gallon tanks. I tried on 2 of them already and just as it was about to punch through the glass cracks with the crack extending from the hole to the top edge and near side edge. I tried varying the speed and pressure but it doesnt seem to help. Im about 1" from each edge at the corner.

Any ideas? I tried my 15 gallon which had thicker glass and drilled two holes no problem.

From the looks of it is seems that when I am just about to punch through the thin layer of glass left shears off and in the process induces the cracking.

Thanks for any help I can get, John

sphelps
03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Cut a piece of rigid foam to fully support the glass you're drilling and if possible try drilling from both sides (go 3/4 deep from one side then finish from the other side). Also make yourself a good guide to hold the bit square and in place, this can be done by simply drilling the same size hole in a 3/4" piece of plywood or something similar.

jphong
03-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks will get some wood tonight hopefully home depot and hook me up with a small chunk of wood with a hole in it.

monocus
03-17-2011, 05:08 AM
do not press on the drill-let the weight of the drill do the work-takes more time -but better results