PDA

View Full Version : Go

imcosmokramer
03-16-2011, 06:01 PM
http://reeftools.com/news/coral-reef-cryogenic-plan-in-australia/

This is kind of neat. Does anyone know how you keep liquid nitrogen in liquid form? This is an interesting idea, as long as you can maintain/control the process long-term. Otherwise you're just wasting time.

Aquaria
03-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Broken link

imcosmokramer
03-16-2011, 06:18 PM
let's try that again..did that fix it?

sgreen
03-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Your link is working now.

Aquaria
03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
If I remember correctly it is only stays liquid when under pressure but as I type this it sounds wrong so I prob am to

nlreefguy
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
If I remember correctly it is only stays liquid when under pressure but as I type this it sounds wrong so I prob am to

NO you are right. The natural form for nitrogen in normal atmospheric pressure and exposed to normal room temperature is gas. The only way to reduce the temp of the gas to the point that it becomes liquid is by high pressure.

shrimpchips
03-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Liquid nitrogen stays liquid in insulated containers not under pressure - the rate of evporation is considerably lowered so that you need to replenish it only once every few weeks/months depending on how often the container is opened.

It's how we store cells and tissues for long term storage. Cryopreservation of mammalian cells is well established and routine - it's actually pretty easy to do, and you can store tissues and cells for decades.