PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my water flow (Long)

Achilles
06-11-2002, 02:14 AM
Okay, so I recently made the plunge in to a 400 watt 10k MH. I have a big refugium setup and a Precision Marine Bullet 1 for nutrient export. I have the light, I have the export, now I need the water flow in the proper manner.

My Ampmaster 3000 is sitting on my coffee table awaiting a job to do. I would imagine it will do the job very well, but what way to do the job is where I'm lacking.

My aquarium is a 90 gallon tank, so it has the regular 48"x18"x24" dimensions. I have an overflow in the back left hand corner. Right now I have a LG 4MDQX returning water at 900 GPH through a 3/4" return.... lots of flow... but it moves my sand in the right hand corner all the time. I hate that!

Here is my plan for the Ampmaster, please add to it. I am going to have around 1800 GPH coming back to the tank from my sump. I wanted to have 2 main returns 1.5" (lots of water movement, but less tissue ripping strength to it), and 2 surge returns located in the tank. The 2 surge returns would operate off of a 15 gallon surge tank hung to the left of the tank... and plumb'd in so that it will surge in to the middle of the tank from both corners. (The tank water level will be set at 20" to handle the extra volume from the surges).

What is your opinion on how I should arrange my 2 1.5" returns?

I want lots of surface water movement, and I want particles that are in the water to be suspended for an extended time period while passing through the tank.

Thanks for your time!

Jeff O'Neill

Troy F
06-11-2002, 02:24 AM
Jeff, sounds good from what I can tell in writing. I have quite a substantial amount of left over 1.5" sched 40 pvc so send me a list of what you need and I'll let you know if I have it.

Achilles
06-11-2002, 02:47 AM
Thank you very much for the hospitality Troy, I will definitly take you up on your offer. Maybe we can work something out with that UV...Ha Ha

You valves for this will cost me an arm and a leg as it is. They will all have to be 1.5"

Anyone else? Where should I position the two 1.5" main returns... and in which direction should I point them? I'm going for currents similar to an upper reef slope here.

Cheers!

Jeff O'Neill