PDA

View Full Version : Koralia Evolutions... Click/thud noise

apex82
03-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Just got my reefkeeper lite controller set up with brand new Koralia 1050's. I have them oscillating every 20 seconds. I am hearing a click/thud noise that last less than a second everytime each powerhead turns on. It is annoying and my fish are pretty scared of the noise. Just wondering if anyone else was able to fix this? Do I just have lemons? These are supposedly able to work on wavemakers/timers silently.
-Thanks

asylumdown
03-14-2011, 11:46 PM
I had to stop using koralias after I got a wave-maker for the very reason you're describing.

I'm not sure if the model you have has the same problem, but the Koralia 1, 2, 3, etc. series have magnets that aren't snugly secured in their housing, so that when they start up, the impeller assembly gets pulled up the pin and away from the housing until it creates enough back-pressure from the spinning impeller to push the magnet/impeller assembly back down and centred in place. As the impeller assembly gets sucked upwards in that first second, it rattles all over the place. Sometimes the noise isn't very loud, and sometimes it sounds like the impeller is going to break, but with the models I had, it made a noise every single time they turned on (which, as you can imagine, was infuriating with a wave-maker).

Someone on RC figured out that if you thread a small piece of airline tubing onto the pin the impeller spins around, and put it between the top of the impeller and plastic housing of the pump, it stops that rattling from happening. Unfortunately, it also seems to cause the impeller to spin backwards about half the time.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that's the same problem with that model of pump. Because of that issue with my Koralia 2s, I now have a whole tupperware container of koralia pumps collecting dust in a closet...

apex82
03-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Ya thanks for the reply. I know of that problem and replaced my Koralia 3's with the new EVO's that supposedly do not start in the wrong direction for the reason you described. This new model is supposed to run on wavemaker/timers without the loud chattering... The noise with these is not nearly as bad as turning on/off the old Koralia 3, however, definately not acceptable for oscillating use.

apex82
03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Nobody running these evo powerheads on a wavemaker?

PoonTang
03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Nobody running these evo powerheads on a wavemaker?

I do, and i don't really mind them too much. Apart from a little "Tick" when they start up they're pretty good considering their 1/8 the price of a vortec.

TJSlayer
03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
I have tghe same setup except I went with the 1400's and they do the same thing, has never gone away. But was a bit dissappointing considering they were suppose to be silent on/off....

TJ

apex82
03-16-2011, 03:58 AM
So you guys just learned to deal with it? Just curious on your intervals... I was using 20 seconds and it scared the the fish everytime it switched.

plutoniumJoe
03-16-2011, 05:33 AM
I set mine up with a DIY wave maker I made with an Arduino, I posted it earlier. The original K1400s that I had "EVO" had issues. The bearing would slip and the rubber stopper would come loose. I glued the bearing and it was better, not good but better. I bought another 1400 Evolution and it has a new bearing design and is considerable quieter, a simple click instead of the thud. Right now mine are on a 15second interval, I got a good wave going with 5sec but to much thudding and clicking.

The Grizz
03-16-2011, 05:40 AM
I am not sure if this is correct but I think I read some where that someone took some small diameter tube and put a small piece on the exposed shaft between the impeller and the front stopper. Stopped the clunk of the impeller jumping when start up.

plutoniumJoe
03-16-2011, 05:52 AM
That would make sense. You would have to get the length right as the bumper is there so that when the magnet charges it sends the impeller forward to hit the bumper then engage. This is how they have engineered it so that it will start in the right direction.

I am not sure if this is correct but I think I read some where that someone took some small diameter tube and put a small piece on the exposed shaft between the impeller and the front stopper. Stopped the clunk of the impeller jumping when start up.

TJSlayer
03-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Was looking at mine last nite and on evos there is a little nub on the front plastic cage that has something to do with it (Mine broke off from what I can assume is the prop hitting it over and over on the wave cycle)

Because it hasn't been touched since it was in there.

The good is the sound is gone on that side....

The bad is that it now sometimes starts in reverse.....

Going to ask about a replacement.

Cheers...
TJ

apex82
03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Let me know if the new bushings quiet it down at all. What interval time is everyone running these evo's on? Also, what are you guys doing for placement with these? I like them on the top middle of each side facing eachother down the length of the tank( how most people have the mp40's positioned) However, its an eye sore not having them on the back wall...