PDA

View Full Version : Threaded bulkhead vs slip.

MarkoD
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I bought some slip bulkheads that need to have pipe glued in..... Now I'm
Thinking it would make everything easier if they were threaded inside.

Any input?

fencer
03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
you can get then threaded inside

MarkoD
03-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Any disadvantages to the threaded bulkheads?

The Codfather
03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Any disadvantages to the threaded bulkheads?

Not that I can think of. Just remember that if you use the bulkheads that have to be glued in, they are made of ABS, not PVC. So you will have to use a transition glue if you are using PVC pipe. Threaded are nice because you can always reuse, I always leave at least one hub depth between fitting and Bulkhead so if I do remove it at some point I can always re-use it. Just my thoughts, HTH,
Bob

MarkoD
03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
thanks for the input... from some research i've read that the slip ones, when glued, seal much better than threaded...... so what i think im gonna do is just add a male threaded piece below the bulkhead so i can easily take it appart.... and it wont leak (because its not under pressure and water will wont be pushing up against the threading)

and on top im just going to slip my stand pipe in (no need for a 100% seal)

cale262
03-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I like using the slips with a union.

MarkoD
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I like using the slips with a union.

lol thats exactly what i was thinking... thanks :)

cale262
03-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Just food for thought...When you add the union, put it in so the o-ring is on the bottom part facing up, that way it doesn't un-knowingly fall out and you end up putting it together (sans o-ring) and end up with water all over the floor...don't ask me how i found that one out :redface:

MarkoD
03-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Just food for thought...When you add the union, put it in so the o-ring is on the bottom part facing up, that way it doesn't un-knowingly fall out and you end up putting it together (sans o-ring) and end up with water all over the floor...don't ask me how i found that one out :redface:

lol awesome thanks :)