PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on frag plugs

howdy20012002
03-14-2011, 02:01 AM
hey all.
I am going to make a few hundreds/thousands of frags plugs and wanted to get some advice from people
first, what size would you make them?
I was going to use full size muffin tins and mini muffin tins and pour the concrete into the approx bottom 1/3 of the holes.
do you think a plug about the size of a toonie is better or one the size a bottom of a muffin.
it would be for various corals.
as well, does anyone know what kind of cement to use?
and any suggestions for dying the concrete.
I would like to be able to label the corals as being from me...any suggestions how to dye the concrete.
thanks in advance
Neal

whatcaneyedo
03-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Here is how I make mine http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59760&highlight=frag+disks

I like 2" disks because I generally break large pieces off of my corals. Type 1 portland cement is the most basic type but I've been using type 10 because I couldn't find type 1 for sale here.

paddyob
03-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Personally... I think that all plugs are the devil. I remove them all, as pretty much all I have seen are an eye sore.

I know it is unrealistic to say use rubble and forget the plugs when you are going to make that many... but if its an option.... use rubble.

I would say make them smaller so at least they can be hidden.

VFX
03-14-2011, 03:13 AM
+ 1 on making them smaller. Much easier to hide & easier on the eye if you can't hide them. Don't need them much larger than 2/3" or so as for larger frags I use rubble rather than plugs anyways.

Also, I like plugs with square stalks so they wont wobble around on my frag racks.

Lance
03-14-2011, 03:22 AM
Personally... I think that all plugs are the devil. I remove them all, as pretty much all I have seen are an eye sore.

I know it is unrealistic to say use rubble and forget the plugs when you are going to make that many... but if its an option.... use rubble.

I would say make them smaller so at least they can be hidden.

+1

I like to use the dry rock rubble from BRS. (1/2 gallon for $14.99)

howdy20012002
03-14-2011, 03:30 AM
I really like your idea whatcaneyedo on the rubber mat. that is a great solution..small 1 inch discs would be great.
I can see using rubble for zoas and such.
however, mounting sps I think would be a bit easier on a plug no?
thanks for the input.
any suggestions for dying the plugs?

The Grizz
03-14-2011, 04:01 AM
I purchased frags from whatcaneyedo last year and I must say I like the disks they came on as most of it was covered with zoas, anthia & monti caps. They made it easy to place because of there nice size & did really blend in nicely. I will be more then happy to get frags from him again.

howdy20012002
03-14-2011, 11:33 PM
bumperoo.
any suggestions for dying the concrete?
thanks for the input so far.
Neal

whatcaneyedo
03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your vote of support Grizz. But even I side with Paddyob when it comes to buying frags as I generally remove them from their plugs at some point. However from an aquaculturist standpoint I find them necessary too because I need a solid surface to mount everything to. Otherwise all of my frags would end up blown into a big heap of dead coral. Conventional plugs are too small and require eggcrate which I detest because of its affinity for nuisance algae. Rubble is too irregularly shaped and inconsistently sized for my liking. All store bought frag mounts in general are pretty expensive considering what I can make my own for. I also find store bought disks to be too smooth... Epoxy will not hold them in place very well.

Coraline and or coral growth eventually covers everything so I don't see much point in dying them. However you could use different colors of sand to make yours distinguishable. Maybe just mix in some black sand or use only black sand? I'm not sure what (if any) colors beyond white and black are available.

howdy20012002
03-15-2011, 02:33 AM
i have to admit, I like the thought of the organized look of plugs..but I understand what that people don't like them.
I am more wanting to be able to distinguish the frags as being mine...sorta of a trademark kind of thing.
beyond colour or dying, any other suggestions to distinguish the plugs??
I had thought about the coloured sand thing as well.
does any know of any dyes that would be reef safe?
thanks
Neal

paddyob
03-15-2011, 03:20 AM
bumperoo.
any suggestions for dying the concrete?
thanks for the input so far.
Neal

If you are looking for a way to distinguish your frags... maybe try a different SHAPE plug as no matter what grows over... the original plug will be seen under it.... maybe try a star shape or something for example.

whatcaneyedo
03-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Or how about imprinting the disks/plugs rather than coloring? A person could probably use something like macaroni to imprint a shape and then remove it later while it soaks and cures.

jd949
03-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Or how about imprinting the disks/plugs rather than coloring? A person could probably use something like macaroni to imprint a shape and then remove it later while it soaks and cures.

+1. Or if you are looking at using something metal for the mold, you could always stamp the metal so it molds into the frag plug.