PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tub

ponokareefer
03-13-2011, 04:58 PM
I am looking into possibly getting a hot tub and was wanting some assistance in this area. I have been looking on kijiji for a used one, but the ones that are good prices have problems with them, and the slightly used are about the same as a new Costco hot tub. The number one thing about buying used that I have read is to make sure you see it running. Anything else?
I'm looking for just a basic 6 man hot tub for my family and a few friends to come over. I'm not wanting a built in stereo or tv or anything like that, just good quality and preferably a warranty that is good and will work. I figure the less that is in it, the less that can go wrong. Is there any place that are known for great product/price/service specifically? Is there any places to kind of stay away from due to bad reputation and/or price?
I have heard that there are a few specifically designed to be able to handle Alberta winters (-40) that are better than others, but I don't know how true this is.

Ian
03-13-2011, 05:39 PM
GET NOTHING FROM DYNASTY SPAS IN RED DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had nothing but trouble with the product and she ( the owner) is horrid to deal with. She will not back her own warrenty and had lied to my face multiple times so yeah even if it is used check the origin and if you may have to go to her walk away now!

I would say pull off the skirting and check the wiring and plumbing it should be clean and tidy not DIY..also look at insulation is it solid and intact . Our tub cost about 10 buck a month to run on average....take a good look at the cover for this area 4 inch thick is a minimum and the lift for it should assist you as they are heavy( my wife has issues taking ours off unless it is perfectly clear of snow/ice). take a look at the filter(s) they will give you an idea about the maintenance the water has recieved and if you need to be concerned about that area.

yeah..take your time and look real close...

edreinink
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Everything they say about getting one rated for the north is true. You will use much more electricity trying to maintain the heat on a cheap one. If you do buy a costco one then think about insulating the inside before you have it all set up.

The Grizz
03-13-2011, 05:56 PM
If you are looking for a new or used tub go to Harbour Spas, Jim is the owner and he is a great guy I have known him for several year. I would not buy a used one off Kijiji again, been there done that. Unless there was warranty still on the tub and if it came from a good store not Dynasty, totally agree with Ian statement about them.

mark
03-13-2011, 06:19 PM
if you've done the math on these things look used.

I figured the cost of a new unit, power, chemicals spread over 10 years divided by a realistic number of soaks, it gets pricey per dip.

shootingstar
03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
As with most things "you get what you pay for" We have many friends that bought the "made for the claifornia climate" tub's. For my location (very cold winters) it averages about 100.00 month to run them through the winter. That is just keeping them hot, not anything for chemicals or perhaps water changes. About half of them gave up after their second winter and don't even run them in the winter anymore. they can't afford too.
To me this defeated the purpose entirely.

We bought our hot tub 2-3 years ago now. I researched it like crazy and eventually settled on Arctic Spa, they are made in northern Alberta I believe. that thang is amazing, we use it almost every night (even at -40) and when it snows the snow does not even melt off the cover, that is how good the insulation is.
I have tracked it and it costs us about 30.00/month to run.

PLUS - and this was a big one for me. Most of the metal clad southern spas come only one way/configuration. something silly like 6o-some-odd # jets, coloured lights a bunch of crap you probably don't want.

With the arctic spa, you pick the size you want, and then there are 3 or 4 different levels of features/jets etc. We bought the base model first. then once a year or so we ponder and decide it it is good or perhaps you now have a sore hip or back you didn't have before, you just call the store and they come out and add another jet or 2 or whatever you want. Fast, cheap, easy.
Even the base units are plumbed and wired for all the possible jets, they just aren't all installed. You can add them at will whenever you want for a very nominal cost.

Service/maintenance:
On the southern designed spas, they install the components (pumps/wiring etc) then they spray foam the whole dang thing....if you ever have a problem you have to chop or dig all the foam out and hope you can get access to fix whatever broke.
(imagin filling your basement up to the top of the stairs with spray foam)

On the canadian arctic spas the the wood cabinet is insulated (like you would insulate your walls and attic to keep the heat in) and there are 8 access doors all the way around , 2 per side. you can get to and fix anything that might break no matter where it is.

it did/does represent a lot of money so I spent months and months researching them before we made our decision but everyone has to decide what is best for them.

ponokareefer
03-13-2011, 07:28 PM
So it sounds like Arctic Spa gives you the ability to enhance later on. That's good to know. I had no idea that you could do that with a hot tub.

Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with Sun Ray Spas? Seems like an Edmonton based company.

bkelly
03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
if your looking at used take off a few jets they come out, if the person had bad water quality the jets will show it-pH, alk not adjusted right or excessive Chlorine etc. the inners of the jets will help tell that (thell look really worn) and bad water can really be hard on plumbing. definitely get an insulated tub, the other thing is comfort sit in it make sure it feels good for you. I got a Coast Spa its a BC company and very happy with it. i heard bad things about COSTCO tubs.

RedCoralOnlineStore
03-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Shootingstar is bang on accurate about the Arctic SPa! We purchased ours used actually and it worked put very well for us! Exceptional quality! Fantastic through the winters, incredible insulation and cover. Used all winter, no problems! Only costs us $30 a month to run as well! Would highly recommend salt (aquafinesse) over chlorine or bromine.
I would never look at another brand! These tubs are meant for Alberta winters! You would not be disappointed! Do not buy Costco tubs! We have a friend bought one because it was such a great price... Pump died and acrylic cracked in the first month of cold weather!
Best of luck! We love our Arctic Spa!

Duffer2
03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Agree with the artic Spa's comment.

The initial investment is worth increasing as what you are really paying for is insulation. Try to get a 6" cover as opposed to a 3". Spray on insulation of a least 4". Panel insulation in hottubs can be okay, but you may loose significant heat if the fits aren't perfect.

In our experience, those who buy cheaper tubs pay way way more in the long run in operating costs. It really can mean $60-$70 more in cool months in electrical costs if you get a poorly insulated tub. That can quickly add up to $400-$500 a year in running costs x life of a hottub. Really makes the extra money up front worth spending.

Some newer tubs actually state the R value's and it's shocking the disparity between the low end and high end tubs.

My advice: Lot's of spray insulation, 6" cover, get a tub with 1 motor, skip the bubble maker, skip the water fall features, skip the extra jet package stuff.

ponokareefer
03-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with Sun Ray Spas? Seems like an Edmonton based company.

Seems like some of dealers in Alberta are:

Home Resorts, Airdrie

Maple Bay Maintenance Ltd., Red Deer

R & R Mechanical, Sylvan Lake, AB

Has anyone ever dealt with any of these?

Sounds like a lot of happy Arctic Spa customers!

phi delt reefer
03-13-2011, 11:42 PM
i was contemplating a hot tub but the electrical costs are too scary. Have you ever seen those guys in teh summer with tents that sell them? One of those companies actually setup a legit shop here in London Ontario. They have models from $2500 to $12,000 - they also have those fancy gazebos.

since electrical costs are going to continue to climb what about doing something like this. Get a hot tub and have a plumber plumb it inline with a natural gas tankless heater (about $800 for a decent one). Get a good pump to keep the pump recirculating the water through the hot tub then back into the tankless heater. Natural gas is cheaper than electricity. Its just a concept in my head - i am sure someone can point out the flaws and crush my personal hot tub owner ship dreams, lol.

blacknife
03-14-2011, 12:49 AM
I have heard good things about arctic spas too, they are built between leduc and calmar. not sure where the dealers are.

My house came with an add-on with a hot tub in it. old from the early 80s, everything works but you really realize when you go to a public pool or something that it could use some more power. I really like that i can still use my tub when its -30 and not have my face freeze off i just close the windows a little more. they are left open for ventilation most of the time.

oh the point I'm trying to make don't settle for cheap if your going to take the expense get something that you will enjoy for years :)

Ross
03-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Since electrical costs are going to continue to climb what about doing something like this. Get a hot tub and have a plumber plumb it inline with a natural gas tankless heater (about $800 for a decent one). Get a good pump to keep the pump recirculating the water through the hot tub then back into the tankless heater. Natural gas is cheaper than electricity. Its just a concept in my head - i am sure someone can point out the flaws and crush my personal hot tub owner ship dreams, lol.

My brothers house had just that.
From what he was told by the previous owner was that the system worked great, but killed the heater after a few years.
The clorine, bromine or salt corroded the units out.

I have a used 1998 Beachcomber hot tub. It was a spray foam filled unit.
It developed several leaks over the years prior to us getting it.
I was quoted $1000 to re spray foam the bottom.
I replumbed alot of the fittings and lines as the glued joints were desintagrating with age.
What a lot of the Spa forums are saying is to use roxul insulation as it retains it's R value even when wet. So this is how i reinsulated it.

That being said, my electrical bill this winter (our first one with the tub) was alot higher than we we were expecting.
Approximatly $50-$75 a month more than last year.

If you buy used I would expect to have to toss at least a grand into it unless its only a few years old.
IE a 2 speed 3.0 hp pump with motor $500, a pump wet end $150, control module ($500), A cover $400+...

Next year, I'm getting a 5" cover to try to keep that heat in.

Does anyone here use the floating blankets inside there spa?

muck
03-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Helped a friend move a hot tub he picked up off Kijiji. Never again.
It was stoopid heavy. Do yourself a favour if you go that route and hire some movers. :twised:

frizzo1983
03-14-2011, 11:27 PM
We have had a Beachcomber for about 4 years fully insulated made in Canada for the climate, and have not had any troubles at all Knock on wood. Keep in mind that it is the new model with the full 1 piece bottom and made out of the trex deck material. great tub love it and would not give it up. I also have had 2 other friends own the same tub and never had any issues. I did alot of research for about a year and found this to be the best option due to all the pumps being under the steps was a great feature IMO. A true fully insulated Hot Tub. Stay away from Costco brands.

shootingstar
03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Helped a friend move a hot tub he picked up off Kijiji. Never again.
It was stoopid heavy. Do yourself a favour if you go that route and hire some movers. :twised:

HaHa, we did the same thing a year before we bought ours, so we knew how dang heavy they were.
When we purchased ours the store also wanted us to remove 2 whole sections of the fence to bring it in the "easy way".
Hubby nixed that right there, we had just finished the fence one year prior and it was a brutal job because of the lot.
He pulled his cell phone out and ordered up a massive crane. They went right over the top of the house and ever so gently put it right on the deck.
When I went to pay the guy he said the store phoned other customers awaiting delivery and 3 more agreed to go in...only ended up costing me about 50 bucks or so.
Best money I ever spent (other than the Hot Tub itself and the used volvo 760 turbo intercooler i had back oh late 80's early 90's....:cry:...still miss that car)
Side benefit - the crane with the flying hot tub without a doubt convinced the neighbours that we were truly nuts....haven't had to deal with neighbour zuccini's on the steps for 2 years now.

ponokareefer
03-22-2011, 01:16 AM
So I went to Red Deer/Sylvan on Friday to check out all the hot tub places. Arctic Spa did seem to have the best built tub, but the salesman seemed more interested in bashing his competition than selling me a hot tub. I guess he must have realized that I wasn't going to spend 10K+ on a hot tub, so might as well bash his competition as much as he could.

The dealer in Sylvan only had one Sun Ray Spa in, so I decided to go to Edmonton on Saturday to check them out there. They had an ad on kijiji with 4 hot tubs from $3300 to $7800, so I wanted to buy one as they seemed like a really good deal. The salesman asked me early on what brought me here, so I told him about the ad. He had no idea what I was talking about and asked me for a copy of the ad. After about 20 minutes and showing me all their products, he asked me what I wanted to do. I told him I was interested in one of the ones from the ad. He then tried to upsell me to a better hot tub in every possible way, going so far as to call me cheap for only wanting a lower end tub with "pretty much no jets". Needless to say, I walked out without a hot tub. I thought any sale was a good sale? He pretty much drove me right out the door. BUYER BEWARE!

The Grizz
03-22-2011, 01:38 AM
I have had dealing with the owner of Artic Spas her in Red Deer, never again!!! The only people I will ever deal with for hot tubs or my indoor pool is Jim & is great staff at Harbour Spa (formally Beachcombers). They hav a quality product and service is second to none. I have seen them install a tub once, they couldn't get the tub in without taking apart a fence so I thought. Instead the pulled out a long cart tipped the tub on it's side and wheeled it into the back yard and it was winter time to boot. The tub was ready to be filled within an hour. The owner started to fill it while the boys went and installed another tub, they came back a few hours later when tub was full and made sure it was all good. My neighbor was very happy with the service, we have moved since but they still live there and we have enjoyed the tub many time, they have never had an issue at all.

ponokareefer
04-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Ended up going with a used hot tub from Sun N' Fun in Red Deer. It was a really nice hot tub at a good price(compared to kijiji ad's), they delivered at a reasonable price and hooked up the electrical to the hot tub with the delivery. Gerry was great to deal with.