PDA

View Full Version : Back drilled tanks

pelle31
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Looking for some plumbing thoughts for a back drilled tank. All my tanks are bottom drilled and I have one that is back drilled. I'm not sure how to plumb a back drilled tank. Do you put an overflow box in? Or just a bulk head and fitting for a strainer? Any thoughts or even pics would be helpful!!

plutoniumJoe
03-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Depends on what the hole is for. If it is for a closed loop just a strainer, if it is for the sump I would put an overflow so that you can maintain the water level in your tank above the hole.

DiverDude
03-14-2011, 02:57 AM
You could do a coast-to-coast overflow, like this:

http://www.beananimal.com/media/4054/back-wide_500x375.jpg

ScubaSteve
03-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Ditto on the above. I assume you're using a sump, so I highly recommend and overflow of any sort. I recommend the beananimal overflow set up. YouTube it and you'll be sold.

blacknife
03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
if it is side drilled high you could just put an elbow on it and go from there.

if it is low i would go with an overflow.

I would also go with doing something <herbie, bean> to reduce the noise i have a side drilled tank with overflow but there is not enough room in there to build any noise reducing contraption and it is VERY loud and gurgley.

drove me so nuts i took it down a week ago. heh

George
03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
How many holes are there in the back? For 2 holes, you can do a herbie. For 3 holes, you can do a beananimal. Return can be over the top or use one of the holes (if latter, one less hole for drainage). You should build an overflow for sure so that there won't be much water draining to your sump in case the return pump stops for whatever reason.
You can check out my build thread for a herbie and a coast to coast overflow.

pelle31
03-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the reply's. The tank only has one hole in the top left corner.............anything I can do with that?

cale262
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reply's. The tank only has one hole in the top left corner.............anything I can do with that?

...cut two more holes :wink:

All kidding aside, I personally wouldn't feel at ease with only one drain hole...but that's just me.

George
03-14-2011, 09:43 PM

You can install a durso. The following web web site has everything you need to know about durso:
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/
I don't know how quite it is but I do know with only one pipe it won't be a fail safe system in case the pipe gets blocked for whatever reason. See if you can drill at least one more hole.