PDA

View Full Version : peacock mantis with splotchy carapace

reeferious
03-13-2011, 08:57 AM
couple days ago while watching my peacock mantis shrimps chasing feeder crabs around i noticed one of them had what looked like splotches on its back and so today i spent considerable effort luring it out and trapping it. closer examination shows the splotches are actually pitted holes in it's shell. i've heard of shell rot but far as i can see none of the others suffers the same condition. considering they're living in the same tank why just one and not any others? he's been with me for couple years just hate to see him affected so.

The Codfather
03-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Ya, looks like shell rot, try to isolate the mantis. Once isolated, keep your water quality high and encourage a molt. I have had this before in the mantis I had, once it molts, remove the exoskeleton as quickly as possible. I think this is the only way to fix the problem. Just my thoughts on it, hope it helps.
Bob

Northernseacorals
03-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Ya, looks like shell rot, try to isolate the mantis. Once isolated, keep your water quality high and encourage a molt. I have had this before in the mantis I had, once it molts, remove the exoskeleton as quickly as possible. I think this is the only way to fix the problem. Just my thoughts on it, hope it helps.
Bob

Hey mate, I am very interested how you encourage a molt please.

ponokareefer
03-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Excess light and poor water quality are typically what leads to shell rot. You had mentioned that there are others in the same system and don't have the issues. Does this one's burrow have any light that can get in?

born
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
check your iodine as well. See if theres any odd numbers there.

The Codfather
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey mate, I am very interested how you encourage a molt please.

Keep your water quality high(lots of smaller water changes) and feed the mantis often. Remember once the mantis has molted, remove the molt as fast as possible, do not allow the mantis to eat it.

reeferious
03-13-2011, 11:11 PM
thanks for all your helpful inputs. this looks like a case of excessive light causing what might be shell rots. this particular mantis has his entrance built nearest the caloupa field that i'm growing for nutrient export. just had no idea a 175 halide source could cause such trouble.

Northernseacorals
03-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Keep your water quality high(lots of smaller water changes) and feed the mantis often. Remember once the mantis has molted, remove the molt as fast as possible, do not allow the mantis to eat it.

Thank you so much for that mate!