PDA

View Full Version : Tank vs. fireplace conflict?

msteele
03-12-2011, 02:28 AM
I have my open top 26g tank in my living room which also contains our fireplace which we use as our primary heat source. While it is a fireplace insert rather than an open fire and the door is closed, when we start the fire smoke does come into the room. While I'm not seeing any adverse effects in the tank, will the smoke accumulate in the water and cause any trouble?

Thanks for any information you may be able to share.

ottoman
03-12-2011, 04:29 AM
gas burning may lead to low O2, make sure you have enough fresh air into the house.

globaldesigns
03-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Another thing to be concerned with is the rooms ambient temp. The fireplace would most certainly affect the aquarium.

I have a fireplace in the same room as my tank. The wife doesn't like the fact that I turned the gas off to the fireplace. But I don't want to take the chance of it making a mess of the tank.

msteele
03-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your comments. It's a wood burning fireplace, not gas. Any issues with wood smoke? The temperature hasn't really been much of an issue, I have been watching that closely but I will continue to monitor it.

Zoaelite
03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your comments. It's a wood burning fireplace, not gas. Any issues with wood smoke? The temperature hasn't really been much of an issue, I have been watching that closely but I will continue to monitor it.

I almost thought you were crazy until I realized that you live in the only part of Canada that doesn't freeze solid for 9 months of the year :lol:.

I wouldn't say it's a beneficial but I doubt it's going to be much of a detriment, I don't burn "Wood" per say but other "Wood related smoke" tends to hit the tank without a problem.

MMAX
03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
My tank is in the same room as my wood burning fireplace. I've lost count of the number of times I've smoked out the room--pain in the ass to heat the chimney. I always wondered myself if the smoke would have any effect on the tank but haven't had any problems.

bvlester
03-12-2011, 09:42 PM
my kids tank is in the same room as our wood burning fire place which heat our house almost all the time. what you can do is turn your furnace fan on to constant and whar the retur vet is go to the top of the wall and cut a hole place a grate over. Then make sure that your furnace is drawing return air from that hole insted of down at floor level. This will drop tha mabient temp level and heat the whole house better

Bill

Hockeyman
03-13-2011, 09:43 PM
My tank is in the same room as my wood burning fireplace. I've lost count of the number of times I've smoked out the room--pain in the ass to heat the chimney. I always wondered myself if the smoke would have any effect on the tank but haven't had any problems.

Take off the bottom clean out on your chimney and run a hair dryer or heat gun up the chimney till you start a good draft then light your stove up.

MMAX
03-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Take off the bottom clean out on your chimney and run a hair dryer or heat gun up the chimney till you start a good draft then light your stove up.

Yeah, I figured that one out earlier on this year...only filled my room with smoke once this winter.