PDA

View Full Version : Home tank placement

DisneyCoralReef
03-11-2011, 08:27 PM
We are in the process of making an offer on our new place, and I have some ideas of where our brand new 75g is going to go, but I wanted to know, what are things I should consider when figuring out WHERE to place the tank. We are located in southern Alberta, so our outdoor temperatures can easily go down to -45 during the winter and no more than 30-31 celcius during the summer(if it actually gets that high). I am assuming a wall near a window would probably not be a good idea?

Any more advice, things to look for, or things to think about/look into. Any advice or things you learned as you set yours up, things you wished you had known when you set your tank up?

sphelps
03-11-2011, 08:46 PM
I always base tank location on personal preference and where I will get the best enjoyment out of it. For example the basement is probably the most practical place for a tank as it's cooler in the summer, away from direct sunlight, away from bedrooms and quite locations, and will cause the least amount of damage if something were to happen. However what good is a nice tank if you never see it which is why I'll place the tank exactly where I want it and design the system to fit into the environment. I would just avoid a lot of direct sunlight if possible as it makes viewing the tank harder during daylight and will require more glass cleaning. An outside wall will make no difference and would actually be better for support.

es355lucille
03-11-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 140g peninsula tank that is between our living room and kitchen. This is a great spot as we spend a lot of time in this area. But there are windows all around this tank that we keep shut all of the time. So although this is the best location for us........we will do it different with the new build.

The new build will be as sphelps has pointed out more practical in the basement for us for a lot of the reasons: safer as the sewer drain will be in the fish room(if something does go wrong), also better to make a fish room where the furances....as its a nice rough room with no dry wall...and we can do what we want etc. I think I will have less issues with algae blooms due to less natural light as the basement area is darker...and we will have more control over the light. I am looking forward to building in the basement. Our basement is undeveloped for the most part so its an exciting prospect. Our tank upstairs since we have upgraded some equipment is starting to spill into the kitchen with auto top off etc.

my 2 cents. Have fun with it !

Brad

Lance
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I always base tank location on personal preference and where I will get the best enjoyment out of it. For example the basement is probably the most practical place for a tank as it's cooler in the summer, away from direct sunlight, away from bedrooms and quite locations, and will cause the least amount of damage if something were to happen. However what good is a nice tank if you never see it which is why I'll place the tank exactly where I want it and design the system to fit into the environment. I would just avoid a lot of direct sunlight if possible as it makes viewing the tank harder during daylight and will require more glass cleaning. An outside wall will make no difference and would actually be better for support.

+1 For practical purposes the basement is the way to go, however, I have both tanks in the family room and wouldn't have it any other way. Even during the Olympics I found my eyes straying over to the tanks. :lol:

Palmer
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
+1 to place where you will most enjoy it. I have mine in the basement not only for how practical it is but its where my bar is located and is away from everyone else... win win

mark
03-11-2011, 10:59 PM
placed my island display on the main floor so would be a bit of a focal point but sump in the basement for ease of maintenance and noise control.

Lance
03-12-2011, 01:55 AM
placed my island display on the main floor so would be a bit of a focal point but sump in the basement for ease of maintenance and noise control.

+1 to this too. I have one sump outside and one in a closet.

globaldesigns
03-12-2011, 01:59 AM
I agree with the others, put it where you will get the most enjoyment. If on a floor other than the basement, figure out where the floor joists are and get as many running under your tank as possible for support.