PDA

View Full Version : EBAY METAL HALIDE BULB

Reefpins10
03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I have seen a reef tank that is running a MH SE 400W 14K Artemis brand bought from ebay for $20. It has a beautiful white with a sligtly blue tint on the tank, not like the XM 20K or 15k. All his corals color are excellent. I really want to buy the same one, but no where has it. The owner of this light bulb couldn't find it either. Does anyone else know where to buy this brand bulb ? If not, do you have any good or bad experience with 400W bulbs sold from ebay sellers ? I am thinking of saving money for a new tank if I can spend less on the bulbs instead.

frd72
03-10-2011, 11:05 PM
I have tried this last year, got it from ebay 175W.
I got it for really cheap price, remember you get what you paid for. Only last for maybe 3 months and started dimming.. :biggrin:

Veng68
03-10-2011, 11:09 PM
E-mail these guys and see if they have your brand.

http://stores.ebay.com/Trust-Deals-Lights/400-watt-SE-/_i.html?LH_SellerWithStore=1&LH_TitleDesc=1&_fsub=12605164&_sasi=1&_sid=60008317&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Cheers,
Vic

The Grizz
03-10-2011, 11:41 PM
That is who I get all my bulbs from and they are great.

Reefpins10
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
E-mail these guys and see if they have your brand.

http://stores.ebay.com/Trust-Deals-Lights/400-watt-SE-/_i.html?LH_SellerWithStore=1&LH_TitleDesc=1&_fsub=12605164&_sasi=1&_sid=60008317&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Cheers,
Vic

I had contacted this company before, but they didn't carry Artemis brand. As frd72 had said the ebay bulb started to get dimmer in about 3 months, but the Grizz said they are great, I may just buy one bulb to try if no one knows where to get the Artemis.
Does anyone else know about another brand from ebay ?

The Grizz
03-11-2011, 01:16 AM
There is another seller from Canada called Hobby Light's. If you want a good example of how good these bulbs are just look at Dez's tank, he only uses the cheaper Chinese bulbs from what I read on his threads. I have never had a bulb dim after a few months and even if you change them every 6 months you are still ahead of the game as far as $$$ go.

EDIT: here is the link to Hobby Lights Online store

http://stores.ebay.ca/Hobby-Lights-Oneshop?_rdc=1

Skimmerking
03-11-2011, 01:16 AM
i got my from hobbylighting.com they are on ebay and have the artemis.

Aquattro
03-11-2011, 01:19 AM

hobbylighting.com domain name is for sale, so they might not be around anymore...

The Grizz
03-11-2011, 01:29 AM
hobbylighting.com domain name is for sale, so they might not be around anymore...

Just ordered a few bulbs from them not that long ago, so they are still going strong :biggrin:

Reefpins10
03-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Wow, thank you asmodeus, I will contact the hobbylighting right now and see if they still have Artemis bulbs.

The Grizz
03-11-2011, 02:05 AM
here is the link to Hobby Lights Online store

http://stores.ebay.ca/Hobby-Lights-Oneshop?_rdc=1

Again the link :biggrin:

Reefpins10
03-11-2011, 02:18 AM
I will check Dez's tank, if I can run the cheap bulbs and look like a millionaire tank, I will definitely buy it no matter what the brand is :lol:

PoonTang
03-11-2011, 03:11 AM
I run the ones from hobby lighting on my tank. I like the 14k the best, not quite as blue as a 14k phoenix. I also tried the 10k but didnt like them, too yellow. I had one of the 10k bulbs fail after a month of so also. The warrenty is 3 months but not worth the shipping hassle for a $15 bulb. I am running 250w DE but the guy carries all sizes.

Reefpins10
03-11-2011, 03:19 AM
Again the link :biggrin:

Thanks for the link :biggrin: I have just emailed them.

dsaundry
03-11-2011, 04:46 AM
If that doesn't pan out there is another ebay seller called topdogsellers you could try them too...good hunting:biggrin:

ALang
03-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the link, Grizz, and for this thread. This is saving me bundles in my yearly dreaded bulb purchases.

cwatkins
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I run the ones from hobby lighting on my tank. I like the 14k the best, not quite as blue as a 14k phoenix.

What type of ballast are you running?

My E-Ballast runs the Pheonix 14K's pretty blue. I'm thinking of testing out another bulb to see if I can get it a little less blue.

My blue background doesn't help either :neutral:

The Grizz
03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the link, Grizz, and for this thread. This is saving me bundles in my yearly dreaded bulb purchases.

Here's a few more:

Trusted Deals: http://stores.ebay.ca/Trust-Deals-Lights?_rdc=1
Top Dog Sellers: http://stores.ebay.ca/topdogsellers

and again Hobby Lights: http://stores.ebay.ca/Hobby-Lights-Oneshop?_rdc=1

ALang
03-11-2011, 08:33 PM
So...has anybody any idea as to how long these bulbs will fire up within the acceptable spectrum/range? How often should these bulbs be changed out? Does anyone know how often Dez changes his out?
I agree, though, with $20/bulb, even with a 6-month change-out, that's still a great deal. Usually these bulbs cost me >$100/pc:neutral:
So anyone has a preference who to order from? I kind of leaning towards the Canadian site (Hobby Lighting).

George
03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
So...has anybody any idea as to how long these bulbs will fire up within the acceptable spectrum/range? How often should these bulbs be changed out? Does anyone know how often Dez changes his out?
I agree, though, with $20/bulb, even with a 6-month change-out, that's still a great deal. Usually these bulbs cost me >$100/pc:neutral:
So anyone has a preference who to order from? I kind of leaning towards the Canadian site (Hobby Lighting).

It's not that easy to measure spectrum since you need a spectroradiometer to do it properly and that device is not cheap. If any one knows how to measure spectrum cheaply (a local lab maybe?) let me know.
However, you can measure intensity of a bulb relatively low cost by using something like an apogee light (quantum) meter.
I recently acquired some ebay MH light bulbs and an apogee light meter. I will do some tests to see what is the deal with these ebay light bulbs. So stay tuned. :wink:

George

Dez
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I have been changing my bulbs once per year. My corals have not noticed it and I haven't had any algae blooms. Although my bulbs aren't from eBay. My friend brought a bunch in from somewhere. They were $13/ bulb. Not sure where he got them.

Skimmerking
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I have been changing my bulbs once per year. My corals have not noticed it and I haven't had any algae blooms. Although my bulbs aren't from eBay. My friend brought a bunch in from somewhere. They were $13/ bulb. Not sure where he got them.
well find out dez DUHHhhhhhh:wink:

Reefpins10
03-12-2011, 01:26 AM
If that doesn't pan out there is another ebay seller called topdogsellers you could try them too...good hunting:biggrin:

Thanks, it was good hunting ! I have found the hobbylights.com that carries the Artemis bulbs. I ordered 6 bulbs for $128.67
after shipping and tax.
Thanks everyone :mrgreen:

ALang
03-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Always good to save some money in this hobby!
Let us know how this all goes.
BTW, anyone knows a cheapie place for actinics pc stright pins 96W??

The Grizz
03-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks, it was good hunting ! I have found the hobbylights.com that carries the Artemis bulbs. I ordered 6 bulbs for $128.67
after shipping and tax.
Thanks everyone :mrgreen:

I used that same bulb on my 155 BF and really liked the color and what little coral I had at the time did really well under them. Hope you like them as much as I did.:biggrin:

Reefpins10
03-12-2011, 01:55 AM
I used that same bulb on my 155 BF and really liked the color and what little coral I had at the time did really well under them. Hope you like them as much as I did.:biggrin:

I have a 400W Coralvue ballast, I am using SE XM bulbs, I hope this ballast will work well with those new bulbs I had ordered.
By the way, please tell me if you know where I can get T5 bulbs, compact flourescent bulbs cheap like that too.
I am getting GREEDY now :lol:

The Grizz
03-12-2011, 02:26 AM
I have a 400W Coralvue ballast, I am using SE XM bulbs, I hope this ballast will work well with those new bulbs I had ordered.
By the way, please tell me if you know where I can get T5 bulbs, compact flourescent bulbs cheap like that too.
I am getting GREEDY now :lol:

Did you ask the seller if his bulb will work with your ballasts?
I have never found any GOOD T5's on EBay but also have never searched for CP's as I don't have any.

Edit: found this seller but I know nothing about CF bulbs.
http://stores.ebay.com/Tons-Of-Goodies-Aquarium-Store

Reefpins10
03-12-2011, 02:31 AM
My goodness :redface: I didn't ask about the ballast. The bulbs are called MH 400/T15/14K.
I have to email him back right now.

The Grizz
03-12-2011, 02:38 AM
My goodness :redface: I didn't ask about the ballast. The bulbs are called MH 400/T15/14K.
I have to email him back right now.

They should work but it is always good to ask.

Reefpins10
03-12-2011, 02:55 AM
The Grizz, please don't make me have a heart attack, you scared me :wink:

The Grizz
03-12-2011, 03:31 AM
The Grizz, please don't make me have a heart attack, you scared me :wink:

Sorry about that but that is the first thing I would have asked. :lol:

Reefpins10
03-12-2011, 04:51 AM
While waiting for a return email from ebay seller; maybe until Monday; can someone tell me if the 400W Coralvue electronic ballast is able to run a probe start MH bulb ? Is it a M59 ballast ? I couldn't find any information on Google.
I won't sleep well (until Monday) if I am not able to find out the answer sooner. It's a women's nature.

The Grizz
03-12-2011, 06:02 AM
While waiting for a return email from ebay seller; maybe until Monday; can someone tell me if the 400W Coralvue electronic ballast is able to run a probe start MH bulb ? Is it a M59 ballast ? I couldn't find any information on Google.
I won't sleep well (until Monday) if I am not able to find out the answer sooner. It's a women's nature.

http://www.venturelighting.com/LampsHTMLDocuments/standardmetalhalide.html#400W

This link shows 400w bulbs under the 5th & 6th black line running off M59 ballast so the way I read it you should be good to go. Hobby Lights is usually very good to respond within a day, you should hear from them tomorrow.

Reefpins10
03-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Million ... million thanks to you. You are so SWEET, The Grizz ! Thanks for the link, I feel much better now.

ALang
03-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I've ordered from Hobby Lighting as well. It was a relief that what I paid for 6 bulbs was what I would have paid for 2 bulbs bought else where.
As lighting is the primary source of make-it or break-it in this hobby, my kids will have no meat for two months while I save up enough money each year to switch out my bulbs. So this was a great thing to know.
The other site for PC won't ship to us, though, so we'd probably have to suck it up and order locally. Lenny.

Reefpins10
03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Good to save money for something else :mrgreen:

Samw
03-12-2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.hobbylighting.com/aboutus

I'm sure the EBay website works. But the one given here that Brad is referring to is a Search Engine. So either the original link was incorrect or they've decided to take down their website and sell only through EBay.

hobbylighting.com is partnered with SmartName to bring you targeted search terms designed specifically to enhance the users overall online search experience. hobbylighting.com displays the top advertisers for and more. We've taken the confusion out of searching online, allowing you to find what you want in a timely manner.
We understand everyone searches with different criteria in mind. That's why we've designed hobbylighting.com to be navigated on your terms. hobbylighting.com brings you the most comprehensive group of advertisers in an easily navigated format, giving users a vast range of choices in as few clicks as possible.

Just ordered a few bulbs from them not that long ago, so they are still going strong :biggrin:

Reefpins10
03-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Here is an updated, I have just got an email from hobblylight and they had confirmed their bulbs are suitable for my electronic ballast. I just wanted to let all of you know that this company has an excellent service, I am very happy with them.
And I am especially thankful to The Grizz again, I slept very well last night, your words really calmed me down concerning my worrying. I feel very lucky to have someone like you on this wonderful Canreef site.

The Grizz
03-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Here is an updated, I have just got an email from hobblylight and they had confirmed their bulbs are suitable for my electronic ballast. I just wanted to let all of you know that this company has an excellent service, I am very happy with them.
And I am especially thankful to The Grizz again, I slept very well last night, your words really calmed me down concerning my worrying. I feel very lucky to have someone like you on this wonderful Canreef site.

Oh stop it your making me :redface:. I was confident that they would reply fast as they always did to me and now we know a little more about there bulb compatibilities. Glad I was of some help.

Reefpins10
03-13-2011, 04:51 AM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: