PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tunze Osmolator

HL649
03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
I just installed my new Tunze Osmolator topoff system. I can't seem to get it to work correct. The optical sensor will sense low water level in the tank and turn on the topoff pump but it won't turn the pump off when the water level in the tank rises. The pump keeps running until the safety float senses too high water level and the alarm sounds. I have tried both sensors on 1 mount and each sensor on a separate mount with varying distances between them but I still get the same result, turns on but won't turn off. I tried to clean the sensor but that didn't work either. Anybody have any ideas what might fix this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

I have a call into the store where I purchased the Tunze. They are going to get back to me in the morning. I'm hoping that someone here can help me a little sooner.

BlueTang<3
03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Only time i have seen that is when the plastic covering was not removed from the optic sensor.

cale262
03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Mine did the same thing when I bought it,...spent hours trying to figure out why it was happening, the only difference was my float wasn't working either (still doesn't due to the magnet???)...I took it back to where I bought it from and funny enough it worked then no problem...re-installed it back in my sump and it has been working ever since. the float is still an issue though.

whatcaneyedo
03-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Mine begun to do that occasionally starting in December after 4 years of working flawlessly. So I added another water level sensor to my apex and now have the Tunze shut off for 30 min anytime its triggered... In your case I'd try to get it replaced under warranty.

HL649
03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
BlueTang<3:
I don't see any plastic cover on the sensor other than the hard plastic cone. I am assuming that is the cover for the sensor.

cale262:
My float works perfect. It is the only thing that keeps the tank from overflowing. It is the optical sensor that doesn't work.

whatcaneyedo:
The guy I talked to from the store said they would probably have to replace it with a new one. I was hoping that it was just something stupid on my part so I didn't have to change it out.

Maverick00
03-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Im using the same product, never had the issue though. Sorry to hear that, abit of a frustrating situation :|

Bryan
03-11-2011, 01:45 AM
Try gently washing the end of the sensor with soapy water. Apparently new sensors can have a coating on them that causes the problem you are experiencing

HL649
03-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Tried the soapy water wash. I am now giving it a quick soak in vinegar.

I'm leaving for a couple weeks and I was hoping I would have this working before I left. My wife is a little less than adequate when it comes to caring for my aquarium when I'm gone.