PDA

View Full Version : pH range question for those who have a controller

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 03:40 AM
So I finally have my pH probe calibrated on my Profilux 2ex controller. Right ATM it reads 8.14, I have noticed that it jumps from 8 - 8.3ish from morning to late afternoon and then drops down closer to 8ish by late evening.

Is this a normal occurrence?

cale262
03-09-2011, 04:23 AM
So I finally have my pH probe calibrated on my Profilux 2ex controller. Right ATM it reads 8.14, I have noticed that it jumps from 8 - 8.3ish from morning to late afternoon and then drops down closer to 8ish by late evening.

Mine bounces up and down, Usually peaks around 17:30ish (8.3) and lowest at 02:30 (8.1)....outside temps also affects this, I have an HRV with an exhaust vent directly behind the tank, if the furnace runs more in the day my PH is lower, When it's warmer outside the PH is slightly higher...If I turn off the skimmer for any amount of time while dosing (4hrs etc) the PH drops right down to 8ish. If I have people over and they are in the same room as the tank, I can see the PH drop, then raise after people leave...think this is atributed to Co2 levels in the room etc...Fun to look at the graphs and compair to what was actually going on in the room at the peaks and lows.

globaldesigns
03-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Hey Greg, I have been battling the thought of a controller. Do you like yours?

If so, can you use them with a dosing pump. I am looking at automating the vodka dosing, MG, St, Ca and ALK.

abcha0s
03-09-2011, 04:30 AM

During the day, the plant life in your tank will consume co2. This lowers the co2 in your tank and the pH will rise. At night, the reverse is true and your pH will drop. This is why many people run their refugiums on a reverse light cycle. The idea is to balance out the production and consumption of co2.

- Brad

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Hey Greg, I have been battling the thought of a controller. Do you like yours?

If so, can you use them with a dosing pump. I am looking at automating the vodka dosing, MG, St, Ca and ALK.

Hey Rick, so far I love it:biggrin: I still want to get a Redox & Salinity probe as well as a GHL 4 pump dosing unit. With the Profilux you can get 2,3&4 pump units either stand alone units or controller units.

abcha0s
03-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Hey Rick, so far I love it:biggrin: I still want to get a Redox & Salinity probe as well as a GHL 4 pump dosing unit. With the Profilux you can get 2,3&4 pump units either stand alone units or controller units.

IMO - The Redox and Salinity probes are definitely fun toys to have, but i don't pay much attention to these numbers anymore. They tend to be highly sensative and wander all over the place. Even the smallest stray voltage will send these probes way out of whack. I personally love playing with reef toys, but unless your running ozone on your tank, these probes really are just that.

I guess I'm really just suggesting that your money might be better spent on something else.

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Mine bounces up and down, Usually peaks around 17:30ish (8.3) and lowest at 02:30 (8.1)....outside temps also affects this, I have an HRV with an exhaust vent directly behind the tank, if the furnace runs more in the day my PH is lower, When it's warmer outside the PH is slightly higher...If I turn off the skimmer for any amount of time while dosing (4hrs etc) the PH drops right down to 8ish. If I have people over and they are in the same room as the tank, I can see the PH drop, then raise after people leave...think this is atributed to Co2 levels in the room etc...Fun to look at the graphs and compair to what was actually going on in the room at the peaks and lows.

That is kind of what I was thinking as well.

untamed
03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
IMO - The Redox and Salinity probes are definitely fun toys to have, but i don't pay much attention to these numbers anymore. They tend to be highly sensative and wander all over the place. Even the smallest stray voltage will send these probes way out of whack. I personally love playing with reef toys, but unless your running ozone on your tank, these probes really are just that.

I guess I'm really just suggesting that your money might be better spent on something else.
I find that the ORP isn't very responsive to ozone, either.