PDA

View Full Version : 210 Reef in a condo

thebrinc
03-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi Guys.

I've spent the last 9 months constructing my dream 210g reef tank with 55g sump, custom stand and hood, auto topup RO unit as well as drainage plumbed into the house's system etc. A couple of weeks ago I'm just about done with the build and filling her up with RO for the first time! My excitement abated slightly when circumstances in my life changed and I now have to sell my house, and buy a condo closer to town in the coming months.

This being said, is there any way I could keep a system this size going in a 700sqft apartment? I'll go for a place on the ground floor for weight concerns but I'm just worried about humidity levels, noise and life in general.

Any input will be most welcome!

TheMikey
03-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I can't comment on noise, but a 210g tank and 55g sump with live rock, equipment, etc. is probably going to tip scales at about 3000 lbs and I'm not sure - without sufficient bracing - if it can be done.

I was going to make a mother-in-law joke here, but given the circumstances humour should probably wait.

thebrinc
03-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I can't comment on noise, but a 210g tank and 55g sump with live rock, equipment, etc. is probably going to tip scales at about 3000 lbs and I'm not sure - without sufficient bracing - if it can be done.

I was going to make a mother-in-law joke here, but given the circumstances humour should probably wait.

On the contrary, humour is all I have left! haha. I hear you on the weight concerns however, it has me slightly concerned too. I've been doing some research, and as long as you place the tank next to a load bearing wall and have a concrete floor it should work, in theory...

sphelps
03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Noise can be easily eliminated with the right equipment so as long as you don't mind spending a little you'll be perfectly fine on that end. A condo building that is concrete structure and not just wood framing (anything above 3 stories must be concrete) will probably be OK if you can position it on or against a load bearing structure. You'll have a difficult time however getting actual permission form a condo board so best keep it on the down low. Humidity will require some work, you can go with lids with low heat lighting which will fix that or a dehumidifier which are noisy and not ideal but work.

hillegom
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Two of the people I know that live in condos, have a humidity sensor in the living room that will turn a fan on when the humidity raises above the setting you have adjusted it to.

lorenz0
03-08-2011, 09:20 PM
what are the dimensions of the tank?

and yes I agree with sphelps about keeping the tank off the radar of the condo board. Most condos will allow a tank up to 75gal and make sure you get insurance, otherwise any damage to the building will hurt your pocket

shrimpchips
03-08-2011, 09:31 PM
+1 on insurance - the first thing I did before pulling the trigger on my 100 was call the insurance agent and find out what the policy was.

As for humidity, you probably won't have a problem. Most condos have a decent amount of circulation of air from the outside of the unit to the inside (unless you've sealed the unit real good), so you won't get much of a build up. In our unit (~600 sqft), the humidity is just fine with the tanks all going.

thebrinc
03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the good advice guys.

It's a 72" x 24" x 29"tall on a 40" white stand, with the hood going all the way up to the ceiling. For lighting I'm running eight T5HO's so that should help cut down on the heat factor slightly as opposed to MH. I was thinking of running a dehumidifier during the day when I'm at work or something...

Just not sure if I'm being realistic in thinking I can pull it off with the move and the Strata guys.

Wayne
03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
IMO I wouldn't do it. I am in a 685 sq ft place right now with about 120 gallons of total water in my various tanks and the humitity is so high I need fans blowing on the windows to keep them from puddling.

If you were to do it I would strongly consider venting outside if possible, led lighting and a dehumidifier. As far as space concerns downsizing might be a better option for you... I hate to be the guy that throws a wrench in, but I certainly don't want to mislead you. :sad:

cathyg_99
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
i know its not ideal because you want to keep your tank but when you sell the house just put a little for sale sticker on it some idiot who thinks COOL I LOVE THE FISH TANK! might pay more for it than what it cost you to get it in the first place, that way maybe you can rebuild a newer tank for the condo that better suits where you want it dimensions wise... i hope that made sense...

marcus
03-19-2015, 06:31 AM
At this post, I had taken great discussion about reef condos. With I knew how to you build condos. I suppose you waste of your time here. There is other better choice; you will be able to get all types of condos for your needs. For sure, I stay in Ottawa, Canada. So, I obtained best condos in Ottawa at cheap cost. However, you can get cheap reef condos from your native place.

hillegom
03-19-2015, 06:37 AM
At this post, I had taken great discussion about reef condos. With I knew how to you build condos. I suppose you waste of your time here. There is other better choice; you will be able to get all types of condos for your needs. For sure, I stay in Ottawa, Canada. So, I obtained best condos in Ottawa (http://www.condo613.ca) at cheap cost. However, you can get cheap reef condos from your native place.

You can't be serious

marcus
03-19-2015, 06:42 AM
I agree. But, there are some possibilities are available to get it cheap rate.

WarDog
03-19-2015, 06:44 AM
You can't be serious

Lol!

Marcus, first of all, the thread that you posted in is 4 years old... and secondly... bad form dude.

marcus
03-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Lol!

Marcus, first of all, the thread that you posted in is 4 years old... and secondly... bad form dude.

May i know

what's your problem?

marcus
03-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Lol!

At first, you should know. There is I am not mention, it is a new thread.

WarDog
03-19-2015, 07:32 AM
May i know

what's your problem?

No problem Marcus, welcome to Canreef! I look forward to you sharing the details of your reef tank with us!

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Who let him in here??

Myka
03-19-2015, 02:42 PM
*edit* Oops this is an old thread...oh well, info is still good.

Most condos are concrete structure, and 210 gallons shouldn't be an issue, especially if you place it near the load bearing structures of the building. Personally, I would probably down-size simply because of aesthetics as a 210-gallon tank is going to be aesthetically awkward in a 700 sq ft condo assuming the kitchen/dining/living areas where the tank would probably be located are probably quite small. You might find that something like a 90-gallon or 75-gallon tank would just look better.

You will need permission from the condo association for ANY pets. That includes fish, reptiles, cats, dogs, horses (haha), etc. The condo association may not allow you to have an aquarium of ANY size. If they do give you permission they will probably specify a maximum size and may require you to get liability insurance.

Regardless of what the condo association says, I would suggest you get liability insurance anyway, even if your tank is small. Even a 5-gallon tank that breaks and has water sitting on the floor for a few hours can cause quite a lot of damage by trickling down to lower levels through ducting and around plumbing, etc. Insurance isn't too pricey, the lowest you can usually get is $1 million, and the lowest an insurance company will write up a contract is usually about $400-450 a year. For that price, you're often better off getting $2 million for just a few bucks a month more. Check it out.

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 02:44 PM
K, everyone, this thread is 4 years old. Pretty sure the condo question got resolved. Marcus OD'ed on crack and went post crazy with his spam :)

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Also, Marcus probably doesn't have a reef tank. And pretty sure Chennai is nowhere near Ottawa :) Also pretty sure I have to step it up a bit approving accounts. f'ing spammers!!

straightrazorguy
03-19-2015, 03:03 PM
I got a much needed chuckle out of it!....

thebrinc
03-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Lol. Well that really clears things up! If only I'd had this info 4 years ago!
Would have been an expensive move though & I hear the winters are a little colder on the east coast :fadein:

Just for the record, I had the 130g with 40g sump in a old woodframe building for many years now & no issues.

canadianbudz604
03-20-2015, 12:37 AM
At this post, I had taken great discussion about reef condos. With I knew how to you build condos. I suppose you waste of your time here. There is other better choice; you will be able to get all types of condos for your needs. For sure, I stay in Ottawa, Canada. So, I obtained best condos in Ottawa at cheap cost. However, you can get cheap reef condos from your native place.

Stick to speaking French buddy.

Aquattro
03-20-2015, 12:46 AM
Stick to speaking French buddy.

He's from India. Not sure they speak a lot of french there :)

canadianbudz604
03-20-2015, 12:54 AM
Really? I work with some french guys and they talk exactly how he types.

Aquattro
03-20-2015, 01:04 AM
Really? I work with some french guys and they talk exactly how he types.

Well ,he posted from India. Maybe he's a French guy on vacation there? lol

WarDog
03-20-2015, 01:32 AM
A French Canadian Realtor from Ottawa, working in India, with a passion for reef keeping... I'm going to win an Oscar with this screenplay!

Aquattro
03-20-2015, 01:34 AM
A French Canadian Realtor from Ottawa, working in India, with a passion for reef keeping... I'm going to win an Oscar with this screenplay!

Can't wait for the book!

reefwars
03-20-2015, 02:59 AM
Bump!! :mrgreen:

canadianbudz604
03-20-2015, 05:58 PM
We get good reef condo for cheap price. Go we will very good. :lol: problem with me what it is?