PDA

View Full Version : Need help to replace MAG pump screws

Biotech
01-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Found one of the screws slightly rusted when cleaning a MAG pump. I would like to replace all the metal screws with nylon (polycarbonate) screws, but have no idea what size I should order.
I found this on-line company:
http://www.plasticnutsandbolts.com
Could some one please tell me which one I should order.
Thanks

UnderWorldAquatics
01-04-2004, 08:56 PM
take one of your screws over to a fastener shop and match it up to a screw there to find out what size it is, then you know what size to order...

StirCrazy
01-04-2004, 08:56 PM
I didn't see any there that would work.. what you have to do is go to home depot with one of your screws and match it up with a simular wood screw to find the size. I doub't you will find one in plastic though. why don't you assemble it and give the screw a very light coat of silicone to protect it if you are worried about it.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
01-04-2004, 08:57 PM
lol nice post steve
beat you to it

StirCrazy
01-04-2004, 08:58 PM
hehe, same post time also

Canadian Man
01-05-2004, 12:19 AM
What I have done in the past is to take the screw to HD and get a similar size Stainless Steel screw. I still put silicone on then though.

BCOrchidGuy
01-05-2004, 04:38 AM
I'd do the stainless as well, with the Mag pumps be SURE not to over tighten them...

Doug

StirCrazy
01-05-2004, 03:08 PM
just for info the screws on the mag pumps are stainless.

you will not find a high grade stainless screw in Home depot as there is only one or two types of stainless that will not rust in salt water. this is why chillers are so expensive as they cannot use stainless.

I would just clean it off and put silicone over it when you re assemble. for what it is worht I never worried about it and just cleaned them once a month or so, when I did my maintanince.

Steve

Jeff
01-10-2004, 05:45 AM
I've always just siliconed over the screws once I'm sure the pump will be there long term and if I suspect them to be a danger. Much easier and safer than opening up a pump IMHO.