PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Mag levels up to par....finally got it!!l

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 03:09 AM
So I did a water change on Saturday of 65 gals using Reef Crystals. Tested every bucket for Mag levels and they were all at 1150 & tank tested at 1050. So I bumped al the new water up to 1700 & today added another 4 cup of mag mix from ChemMasters. Retested after letting the water cycle for an hour and it tested out at only 1000.

Does anyone have it figured out how much mag mix it take to bump from 1000 to 1400 per gal of water. This is absolutely driving me crazy.

HELP!!!

Coleus
03-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Hey Greg

First thing: make sure your test kit is still good.

I used this http://www.reeftime.com/reef-chemistry-calculator.asp to get the correct amount. His Mag is close to magnesium chloride hexahydrate i believe in the picklist

Do you have mangroves in your tank by any chance?

Also I am not sure Mg = 14000 will be safe. That is way too high and you need 132 cups to get there :-)

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Hey Tai,

Test kit is brand new Elos kit & no to the mangroves. I will check out that link, thanks.

14000 would be a little high and expensive to maintain, thanks for catching that.

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 03:51 AM
HOLY CRAP 14 cup to go from 1000 to 1400 I don't think I have enough mag mix. Might have to find some where to buy it local in bulk.

Delphinus
03-08-2011, 03:59 AM
It takes a lot of Mg to raise the levels. 14 cups sounds about right.

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 04:04 AM
I just might have to change brands of salt.

How much mag can I add daily safely?

Delphinus
03-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Bah, there hasn't a single brand of salt I've tried that didn't need something added. Find a cheap source of bulk chems and adjust to needed it will be cheaper in he bigger picture.

I think 100 per day is a good target, or 50.

Thing is once it's up there it's up there. Adjust your w/c water so it's not dropping Mg at w/c time and you'll only have to dose for marginal bumps of Mg thereafter.

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 04:23 AM
Good point Tony, what are you using now for salt? When you say 100, is that 100 ppm? And how do I figure that out, 1400-1000=400 then 14 cup / 4 = 3.5 cup a day?

I was told about a brand of salt that comes in a 5 gal bucket like IO Reef Crystals but makes 240 gals of saltwater @ 1.026 but can't remember the brand. I think it might have been _______ salinity.

I will have to source out bulk chem's locally and see what I can find

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 04:25 AM
And how much RO water do you dissolve in per cup?

randallino
03-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Greg, you know what I find is that Elos tests on the low side for Mg. In my situation I have about 1250 with Elos and Salifert has my Mg at 1400. :confused:

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 04:40 AM
Greg, you know what I find is that Elos tests on the low side for Mg. In my situation I have about 1250 with Elos and Salifert has my Mg at 1400. :confused:

I tried the Salifert kit a while back and got the opposite levels. Plus I found the Elos to be an easier test.

globaldesigns
03-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Hey Greg,

Tony is right, once you get it up to 1350-1400, then it is much easier to maintain.

I don't think you should increase more than 100 per day. Since you are so low, I would probably do 50 per day, and spread it out over the week.

I use Seachem dry mag, as it is cheap... There are other ones as well, but don't use anything that is premixed. you will go BROKE!!!

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Hey Greg,

Tony is right, once you get it up to 1350-1400, then it is much easier to maintain.

I don't think you should increase more than 100 per day. Since you are so low, I would probably do 50 per day, and spread it out over the week.

I use Seachem dry mag, as it is cheap... There are other ones as well, but don't use anything that is premixed. you will go BROKE!!!

Was i correct on how to figure out the amount of mag to add per day in my warier post? What do you think Rick? Tony?

I hear ya on the premixed, after ChemMaster shut it down I was hoping who ever he sold his info to here on CanReef that they would start up selling. I tried to get it but was to late as I would have started where hevleft off.

Dez
03-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Hey Greg, in the first few months of getting my tank up and running I dumped close to 80 lbs of Mg from Chem Master into my tank. I've come to the point where I don't even premix in RO water anymore. I just dump a few cups of Mg from Chem Master right into the sump.

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Hey Greg, in the first few months of getting my tank up and running I dumped close to 80 lbs of Mg from Chem Master into my tank. I've come to the point where I don't even premix in RO water anymore. I just dump a few cups of Mg from Chem Master right into the sump.

Thanks Dez, so would 4 cups a day be to much at once? I was think of doing that but was not sure if it would be safe.

globaldesigns
03-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Was i correct on how to figure out the amount of mag to add per day in my warier post? What do you think Rick? Tony?

I hear ya on the premixed, after ChemMaster shut it down I was hoping who ever he sold his info to here on CanReef that they would start up selling. I tried to get it but was to late as I would have started where hevleft off.

I personally use this site:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It is a great site, and will tell you exactly what to dose.

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 05:26 AM
I personally use this site:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It is a great site, and will tell you exactly what to dose.

That's the same one Tai linked me to and how I came up with the 14 cups.

lastlight
03-08-2011, 05:26 AM
I love and hate Reef Crystals. I never need to bring my Calcium or Alk up with new water but man...you gotta dump that mag in like there's no tomorrow. I use the BRS reef calculator which is rad for dosing their chemicals. So easy to use:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-calculator

Delphinus
03-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Sorry for the slow reply.

I use IO if for not other reason that it's been the most consistent salt for params in the 13 years I've been buying salt and it's cheap and I really have no cause for complaint with it overall. The #'s are on the low side for Ca and Mg but I know where they mix to, and they're not really THAT low. I add about 30ml CaCl (2 tablespoons) to my 24g water change water and about 240ml (16 tablespoons) of Mag mix (5:3 ratio so really 10 tablespoons Mg Cl and 6 tablespoons Mg sulfate).

Now this is going back a few years so I don't remember the details but I used a premium salt that was supposed to have high Mg, but didn't. When I finally figured out it was the salt pulling Mg down I tested a batch and it was like 700ppm. I had use cup after cup after cup for like 10 days straight to raise it 100ppm per day to get back to 1300ish. I forget how many cups it was in 100gallons of tank volume to raise it 100 but it was a LOT. I was sure I was making my saltwater tank into pure brine but it didn't. (It did raise the SG though, watch out for that. I'm still not clear on the concept if 1.025 with added Mg 1.027 should be compensated for down to 1.023 and added Mg to 1.025 or leave it at 1.027).

When adding Mg I just use whatever amount of RO it takes to dissolve whatever I'm adding. Around half gallon maybe? Something like that.

I think the salt you're thinking of is "Seachem Salinity". Heard good things about it.

Is there a Univar in Red Deer? If there is that might be a good place to get your bulk chems..

Good point Tony, what are you using now for salt? When you say 100, is that 100 ppm? And how do I figure that out, 1400-1000=400 then 14 cup / 4 = 3.5 cup a day?

I was told about a brand of salt that comes in a 5 gal bucket like IO Reef Crystals but makes 240 gals of saltwater @ 1.026 but can't remember the brand. I think it might have been _______ salinity.

I will have to source out bulk chem's locally and see what I can find

And how much RO water do you dissolve in per cup?

lastlight
03-08-2011, 05:57 AM
What I've done so far is add my brs magnesium solution to my 10g ro/di and then add enough salt mix to hit 1.026.

MitchM
03-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Hey Greg,
you are probably thinking about Aquavitro Salinity. It has a lower moisture content than other salts. Makes 225 gallons out of it's 5 gallon pail. But it's heavy - 65 lbs/pail.
That's what I'm using. Red Coral carries it.

tooocolde
03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Recently purchased mag chloride (Dead Sea Works) and calcium chloride (94-97%) from Univar. Service was excellent and worked out to just over $1/lb including shipping to Kamloops.

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey Greg,
you are probably thinking about Aquavitro Salinity. It has a lower moisture content than other salts. Makes 225 gallons out of it's 5 gallon pail. But it's heavy - 65 lbs/pail.
That's what I'm using. Red Coral carries it.

Ya I think thats the one, thanks

Recently purchased mag chloride (Dead Sea Works) and calcium chloride (94-97%) from Univar. Service was excellent and worked out to just over $1/lb including shipping to Kamloops.

I will have to check them out, thanks

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM

I use IO if for not other reason that it's been the most consistent salt for params in the 13 years I've been buying salt and it's cheap and I really have no cause for complaint with it overall. The #'s are on the low side for Ca and Mg but I know where they mix to, and they're not really THAT low. I add about 30ml CaCl (2 tablespoons) to my 24g water change water and about 240ml (16 tablespoons) of Mag mix (5:3 ratio so really 10 tablespoons Mg Cl and 6 tablespoons Mg sulfate).

Now this is going back a few years so I don't remember the details but I used a premium salt that was supposed to have high Mg, but didn't. When I finally figured out it was the salt pulling Mg down I tested a batch and it was like 700ppm. I had use cup after cup after cup for like 10 days straight to raise it 100ppm per day to get back to 1300ish. I forget how many cups it was in 100gallons of tank volume to raise it 100 but it was a LOT. I was sure I was making my saltwater tank into pure brine but it didn't. (It did raise the SG though, watch out for that. I'm still not clear on the concept if 1.025 with added Mg 1.027 should be compensated for down to 1.023 and added Mg to 1.025 or leave it at 1.027).

When adding Mg I just use whatever amount of RO it takes to dissolve whatever I'm adding. Around half gallon maybe? Something like that.

I think the salt you're thinking of is "Seachem Salinity". Heard good things about it.

Is there a Univar in Red Deer? If there is that might be a good place to get your bulk chems..

As a matter of fact the phone book says there is a Univar here. :biggrin:

What I've done so far is add my brs magnesium solution to my 10g ro/di and then add enough salt mix to hit 1.026.

Thats a good :idea: to Brett

Delphinus
03-09-2011, 03:52 AM
In my defense, "Aquavitro" is still "Seachem" just their premium brand. :p

Anyhow I like the online batch# param lookup they offer, that's a great idea.

Ya I think thats the one, thanks

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 03:55 AM
So I added another 4 cups of ChemMasters mag mix tonight as well as some calcium as it was a little low as well.

globaldesigns
03-09-2011, 03:55 AM
As I stated, I use Seachem and can say I have no issues with that brand for Mg, Str, Ca, ALK... But if anyone can recommend an even cheaper source of dry crystals?

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 04:01 AM
In my defense, "Aquavitro" is still "Seachem" just their premium brand. :p

Anyhow I like the online batch# param lookup they offer, that's a great idea.

Not to mention this, copied directly from there site.

Other companies tell you what is supposed to be in their salt, but every bucket of salinity™ comes with a laboratory tested* batch specific, guaranteed analysis. Another first in the industry.

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 04:03 AM
As I stated, I use Seachem and can say I have no issues with that brand for Mg, Str, Ca, ALK... But if anyone can recommend an even cheaper source of dry crystals?

Are you meaning for the mag mix stuff Rick?

Coleus
03-09-2011, 04:05 AM
I think you can get a great deal on BRS stuff if you have a group buy. Even with high cost shipping, my personal order stuff from them work out very close to what it would cost me to get stuff from ChemMaster delivery to my door.

Plus, following their instruction has been worked out for me very well lately. I went from weekly testing to monthly testing and my params are still very good and stable. However can't beat that 1 dollar per pound tho.

Coleus
03-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Not to mention this, copied directly from there site.

Other companies tell you what is supposed to be in their salt, but every bucket of salinity™ comes with a laboratory tested* batch specific, guaranteed analysis. Another first in the industry.

I tried this salt before, just find it is more expensive than to use IO + bulk chem :-)

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 04:12 AM
I think you can get a great deal on BRS stuff if you have a group buy. Even with high cost shipping, my personal order stuff from them work out very close to what it would cost me to get stuff from ChemMaster delivery to my door.

Plus, following their instruction has been worked out for me very well lately. I went from weekly testing to monthly testing and my params are still very good and stable. However can't beat that 1 dollar per pound tho.

I am going to check out Univar and see what they can offer for bulk bags and if it decent I might just have to start a distributorship, shipping it out separately ( not mixed ) to prevent the slushy factor :biggrin:

globaldesigns
03-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Hey Tony/Delphinus... You use BRS? I think that is what I saw at your place. You said it was good, but does the mg work the same way as Seachem. I like Seachem stuff as it is only one part dosing, I have never done any of this 2 part stuff. Not really sure what it is.

If BRS is the way to go, I would be interested in doing a group buy, if anyone would be into it also.

StirCrazy
03-09-2011, 12:36 PM

I use IO if for not other reason that it's been the most consistent salt for params in the 13 years I've been buying salt and it's cheap and I really have no cause for complaint with it overall. The #'s are on the low side for Ca and Mg but I know where they mix to, and they're not really THAT low. ..

yup, the only salt I will use. and I don't find the Ca low. as I keep my Ca at 380 (NSW values)

Steve

The Grizz
03-10-2011, 01:42 AM
So after last nights addition of mag and calcium I re tested, Ca. - 400 & Mag. - 1250. Added the second dose of calcium and mag again tonight and will retest again tomorrow but levels are coming back up better then expected.

daniella3d
03-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Hmmm...I use Reef Crystal as well and I have no problem with the magnesium or calcium. Are you sure your test is good? Even if it is brand new, it might still be bad maybe?

I just might have to change brands of salt.

How much mag can I add daily safely?

The Grizz
03-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Yes I am sure it is good and I am sure you are doing more regular water changes then I am able to do ATM. The reason I say this is when I do a water change I have to haul the removed water out to my slew, can't just pour it down the sink as this would fill my septic tank to fast.

Are you using RC in the bucket or box, I have noticed that the levels are not as good from the box as it is from the bucket. I got way better levels from the last BUCKET I had. If I stay with RF I will never by a box again.

lastlight
03-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Interesting I am also using my first box of RC. I never actually tested the new water this makes which is bad I guess. I better do that.

The Grizz
03-10-2011, 09:00 AM
I can't remember where I heard or read about it but the boxes do not have the same parameters as the buckets.

globaldesigns
03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I can't remember where I heard or read about it but the boxes do not have the same parameters as the buckets.

Hey, I switech from Reefers Best to H20 due to the unavailability for Reefers. I can say it is a pretty good salt.

Reefers and H20 mix cleaner and quicker than Reef Crystals. FYI.

The Grizz
03-14-2011, 03:51 AM
Well finally after a week of adding & testing I have ALL my parameters spot on. Will test again in a few days to see how much they drop & add accordingly with the help of the reef calculators.

And with all this hassle I have decided that a GHL dosing pump is next on my list & have made a deal with a fellow top notch reefer to buy the one he is selling :biggrin:. THEN I will have to figure out how to set that up, so anyone with this type of doser be for warned I will be searching for info once I have it.

As well, now that levels are in check it will make it easier to test out the chem's from Eli.

lastlight
03-14-2011, 06:04 AM
It's a good feeling getting those numbers right lol!

And you may think you're buying a doser but you're picking up this freaking pump first :twised:

The Grizz
03-14-2011, 04:08 PM
It's a good feeling getting those numbers right lol!

And you may think you're buying a doser but you're picking up this freaking pump first :twised:

YEs:lol: pump is first on the list for sure Brett

Skimmerking
03-14-2011, 05:38 PM
weird Grizz I have never had a problem with my Mag, it's always up in the 1300's weird what do you think causes the mag to be sucked up so much. is your ALK and CAl going down.

ever since my tranfer to you brother's twin tank the other 96'er :smile: I haven't check the levels , actually that is a lie i checked the alk yesterday. it was 11.6 so my Kalk Reactor is keeping up withthe CAL and ALk demand.

Hey another thing what is your MAG level at now and do you have red turf algae on your rocks.

The Grizz
03-15-2011, 01:38 AM
weird Grizz I have never had a problem with my Mag, it's always up in the 1300's weird what do you think causes the mag to be sucked up so much. is your ALK and CAl going down.

ever since my tranfer to you brother's twin tank the other 96'er :smile: I haven't check the levels , actually that is a lie i checked the alk yesterday. it was 11.6 so my Kalk Reactor is keeping up withthe CAL and ALk demand.

Hey another thing what is your MAG level at now and do you have red turf algae on your rocks.

Well I think so of the issue is the fact that it is hard for me to do water changes as I am on a septic system and can't just pour it down the drain. I am tring to figure out a way to connect a line to my RO waste water line that pumps right out to the field.

ATM my Mag 1450, Calcium 440, have to test my Alk tonight again can't remember what it was.

My Mag was around 950, calcium 360 and I have a few rocks that have some red turf on them

HL649
03-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Just a thought here Grizz;

I am on a septic and I dump my saltwater down the drain. I also have a water softener that dumps a s##tload of salt down the drain. I have talked to a few people about this and the general consensus is that it won't harm the septic action. Most actually stated that moderate salt levels in the septic will actually increase the biological activity in the tank.

I just had my septic tank pumped out this morning after 6 years of use and it was quite clean. It could of easily gone another 6 years.

The Grizz
03-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Just a thought here Grizz;

I am on a septic and I dump my saltwater down the drain. I also have a water softener that dumps a s##tload of salt down the drain. I have talked to a few people about this and the general consensus is that it won't harm the septic action. Most actually stated that moderate salt levels in the septic will actually increase the biological activity in the tank.

I just had my septic tank pumped out this morning after 6 years of use and it was quite clean. It could of easily gone another 6 years.

What type of septic do you have? Gravity gravel bed or in sump pump? My is a gravity gravel bed, the house septic is feed out to the shop septic and then gravity feed out the gravel bed. Major pain in the a$$, has to be pumped out yearly in the summer.

hillegom
03-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Septic systems work on a biological cycle. The more bacteria the better the system runs.
The more water you throughput, the less bacteria left in the tank. They get flushed out to the field.
In the old days we had a septic tank and a soap box. All the water from the kitchen sink and laundry and tub went to the soap box to its own field. (sometimes rockpit) This allowed the toilet its own tank with the least amount of water throughput.
These days all the effluent goes to one tank. Along with all the cleaning chemicals and soap that kill bacteria.
And some households have a garburator that put solids into the tank that should actually be in a compost heap. They take a lot longer to break down.
So now they recommended to suck out the septic tank every year.
I am not on septic anymore. But was for 30 years. The longest I have gone without emptying the tank is 15 yrs. And I could have gone longer that time, but when you order the guy in, you don't send him away.
Sorry for the rant, its a pet peeve of mine. I used to argue with the city all the time.

HL649
03-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I am on a pump out system. I also regularly add bacterial culture to my system (i.e., Septo-Bac). We don't use many chemicals or cleaning agents that would affect the septic action.

As Hillegom stated, the health of your bacteria culture is directly linked to the efficiency of your septic system.

The Grizz
03-18-2011, 04:19 AM
We have to double our dose of Septi-Bac type stuff we use monthly because ALL our waste water goes into the septic as well I found a CLR product specially made for septic tanks that I am going to try.

Tested again tonight and got this:

Sal - 1.026
Ca - 420
ALK - 10
MAG - 1400
pH - 8.10
Phos - untraceable
NO2 & NO3 - untraceable

Going to leave it for a week and see where it's at then.