PDA

View Full Version : APEX set-up (wifi etc.) Questions...?

cale262
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I've just ordered an APEX controller....quick question, does it come with the pc connection cable (nec cable?) or is that an item I’d have to order separately?

TIA

xtreme
03-07-2011, 07:50 PM
All you need is an ethernet cable and you can program almost everything through the web based browser.

cwatkins
03-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I've just ordered and APEX controller....quick question, does it come with the pc connection cable (nec cable?) or is that an item I’d have to order separately?

TIA

It's a networked device, so you don't use a PC connection cable per-se.

You plug it into your switch using a CAT-5 network cable, and then connect to it using your web-browser.

If you cannot run a network cable to it, look into getting the "Linksys Wifi gaming adapter". Essentially this can add Wi-Fi support to your Apex controller so it can use your wireless network.

Here is a very good un-official user guide which will help you with all the setup: http://reeftech.webs.com/

trilinearmipmap
03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
You can hook it up using a gaming adaptor and a wireless router. However to update the firmware you will still need a wired connection. If there is a long distance between your computer and your controller, you can get a 100 foot long ethernet cable from the dollar store for about $15.00

cale262
03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanx all,

I have lots of ethernet cable, I just notice in the APEX parts listing that there was a PC interface cable...but now that I've looked closer it is a "serial" cable...I wasn't sure if I needed that or not...not apparently.

On another note, with my RKE I'm using a Mac wi-fi Airport Express, I'm assuming I can use one of these also...If not I have a couple lynksys wireles routers if need be...or would the gaming adapter be easier?

fencer
03-07-2011, 08:33 PM
wireless bridge adapter...gaming adaptors cost more

Milad
03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanx all,

I have lots of ethernet cable, I just notice in the APEX parts listing that there was a PC interface cable...but now that I've looked closer it is a "serial" cable...I wasn't sure if I needed that or not...not apparently.

On another note, with my RKE I'm using a Mac wi-fi Airport Express, I'm assuming I can use one of these also...If not I have a couple lynksys wireles routers if need be...or would the gaming adapter be easier?

Airport express is junk, but it will work.

Welcome to the Apex club, probably the best thing you will ever purchase. Make sure you grab the iphone app for it so you can impress the ladies you can control your aquarium with your phone. Just don't pull it out at parties when you had to many drinks, it can turn bad.... "Look everyone, I can drain my fish tank with one single button"

cale262
03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Airport express is junk,...

I've never had a problem with any of them to date (stereo, home theatre, base station, RKE etc.) Can you elaborate or, Do you have a better option in mind?

I have to go out and buy another of something anyway as all mine are currently in use.

TIA

viperfish
03-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I was using a 2Wire unit from Telus and spent hours trying to get it working with the Apex with no luck. I then picked up a Thomson Speedtouch 516 and a Linksys WRT54G and had it running in minutes! You can find lots of them on Kijiji for cheap.

Milad
03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
I've never had a problem with any of them to date (stereo, home theatre, base station, RKE etc.) Can you elaborate or, Do you have a better option in mind?

I have to go out and buy another of something anyway as all mine are currently in use.

TIA

They are just junk, you cant do anything with them, they are clumsy. They have alot of overhead and very little functionality. I about killed mine when I was trying to hook it up via WDS with the other routers. Linksys is the way to go, easy and you can DD-WRT almost all of them. DD-WRT opens up your router to do things you wish your current router could do and it will do them quickly and easily and its fast.

Also the one I have only has one Ethernet port, WTF is that?!

cale262
03-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Here is a very good un-official user guide which will help you with all the setup: http://reeftech.webs.com/

Best link yet, I'll buy him a Starbucks ...Thanks for the link :thumb:

cale262
03-10-2011, 10:44 PM
APEX Arrived yesterday...

Tinkered with it for a few hours, mounted it on a board...I guess I was expecting a quick install, the RKE is a simple plug and play unit...I had it up, running and programmed in less than an hour...APEX...uber complicated compared to the DA stuff. Two hours later my head started to hurt, then bean came over (saved the day) so I opened a bottle of Patron and just tried to forget about it...

I'll go P/U some network kit tonight and start banging away...

abcha0s
03-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Make sure you grab the iphone app for it so you can impress the ladies you can control your aquarium with your phone. Just don't pull it out at parties when you had to many drinks, it can turn bad.... "Look everyone, I can drain my fish tank with one single button"

That's funny! :lol:

We should start a new thread called "controller disasters". I love my Apex controller, but I'm also terrified that it will be my ultimate demise. My whole system completely relies on it's opperation. So much so, that I actually bought a second one and run two of everything critical split between them.

Anyway... My 3 year old daughter often plays with my iPhone. A while ago she managed to launch the Apex app and started pressing buttons. I saw what she was doing and ran to the tank to make sure nothing bad was happening. She had shut off the return pump (no big deal), but I'm glad I noticed it.

The app is now burried in a folder and no longer on the main page. I'm also very careful to never leave it running.

- Brad

cale262
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Found an old Linksys WRT54G that I forgot I even had, flashed it with DD-WRT and set it up as a bridge, connected the PC and the Apex (wired) to the linksy and was able to communicate...Hooked up my Mac Book to the linksys and tried to communictae with APEX= no joy...tried to get the linksys to communicate with my home network (Mac Time Cap etc.) = no joy..

ATM I am able to communicate PC<>linksys<>Apex but that's where it ends...did some more googling and found some more things to try tonight but after last night I'm almost out of Patron.

All I know for sure is;

MAC+Linksy+Apex=No Joy= Patron

:drinking:

cale262
03-12-2011, 10:38 PM
EUREKA...

It works....Several days later, uncounted hours, 5 different emotional states visited and it was all caused by one faulty network cable!!!! I can't believe it was that simple of an issue.

I'm going to need a week to recover from this experience.

cwatkins
03-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Best link yet, I'll buy him a Starbucks ...Thanks for the link :thumb:

Next time I'm on that side of the Rockies :biggrin:

I loved that Guide. I even downloaded it to my iPhone for future reading.

Cheers.