PDA

View Full Version : Building a Canopy

Ryan
03-07-2011, 03:12 AM
I got a new tank this weekend and I went with the tried and true 3x4 stand. I am going to skin it with some nicer wood but I am lost on how to do the canopy.

I am going MH with this and because the tank is in the living room it must look clean and be functional.

This tank is rimless and I am wanting to have Pendant MH as well as LED or T5 Actinic supplement.

Could I put a eurobrace on the tank then put my canopy onto that without worrying about the water wrecking the wood?

Any help is greatly appreciated right now guys and pictures would be very helpful.

Ryan

The Grizz
03-07-2011, 04:06 AM
Put a euro brace on the tank and build you canopy so it comes down to the water line by adding a small strip of wood on the inside of the canopy to sit on the euro brace. Stain exterior to your color liking, then paint inside white. Seal both sides and all edges with a double coat of lacquer.

Ryan
03-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Good idea thanks Grizz.

I was talking to a friend about how his old one was made and I was thinking of building my frame then having a couple a glass blocks on the eurobracing that would keep the wood from getting wet.

Then have the skirt come down a little past the waterline.

The Grizz
03-07-2011, 04:16 AM
As long as you seal the inside wood with a good quality exterior clear sealant you will be good to go. Clear silicone would work well on the edges that will be sitting on the euro brace.

Ryan
03-07-2011, 04:18 AM
I use Varathan Diamond Coat on my DIY cages for my snakes. I use it for the low/no VOC would this be safe to use on the aquarium as well?

The Grizz
03-07-2011, 04:32 AM
I don't see why it would not work, it not going to come in contact with the water. I have used that product on canopies as well with no issues.