PDA

View Full Version : Remote Deep Sand Beds (RDSB)

es355lucille
03-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I am thinking about setting one of these up on my next system build. I need to hear from someone that is running a RDSB with sucess. If you can post a picture of the setup I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

cwatkins
03-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I am thinking about setting one of these up on my next system build. I need to hear from someone that is running a RDSB with sucess. If you can post a picture of the setup I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

I have a RDSB in the first section of my sump with the extra live rock. It's some pretty fine sand I picked up from J&L. I believe it's about 5 inches deep.
My sump is only 30G, and each section is 1/3.

On top of the sand are 4 or 5 pieces of LR.

I assume it's doing it's job. I haven't seen any negative side-effects.

phreezee
03-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I assume it's doing it's job. I haven't seen any negative side-effects.

Just look for gas bubbles in the sand along the glass to know it's doing it's job. :)

globaldesigns
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I just removed mine a couple months back. Have been having issues with coral death, not saying it was from the DSB, but when I took it out it was disgusting.

DSB has been used for a long time with great success. I personally won't do it again as there are many other things out there to assist, like BioPellets.

es355lucille
03-08-2011, 05:14 AM
:biggrin:Thanks for the comments guys!

High tide
03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Sorry no pics.

I ran a 55 gal. tall with a 9" RDSB on a 125 gal. display for a few years with great success. The RDSB was placed in front of a window and had modest lighting over top as well. It turned into a halimeda farm which helped nutrient export but consumed a lot of calcium and carbonates. It was my 3 in 1 RDSB/refugium/macro scrubber. I think it gave my SPS dominated system stability and a certain je ne sais quoi. I never had any issues with nitrates or phosphates and it was a source of food for my display.

A heat wave came and wiped out most of my collection so I took the system down. When I removed the sand from the RDSB it was black and wreaked like rotten egg. Ticking time bomb or perfectly planned RDSB? I will never know but I have been seriously thinking of adding one to my current system.