PDA

View Full Version : Go

imcosmokramer
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Great to see someone with fame doing something good

http://reeftools.com/news/yoa-ming-psa-against-shark-fin-soup-graphic-video/

Megalodon
03-07-2011, 01:14 AM
It's such a waste. I'm glad people are trying to do something about it.

untamed
03-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Nice to see. This is an issue that I feel strongly about and have walked out of restaurants that served shark fin soup. I did so as loudly as possible....

Megalodon
03-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Nice to see. This is an issue that I feel strongly about and have walked out of restaurants that served shark fin soup. I did so as loudly as possible....What restaurants here serve that? Yikes!

Good for you!

Eb0la11
03-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Any reefer should watch the movie Sharkwater produced by Canadian Rob Stewart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Stewart_(filmmaker))

It will change the way you view this subject immensely.

reefermadness
03-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Shark fin soup is the devil.

Its amazing some people dont even know about this disgusting practice of waste. No respect for mother nature....

globaldesigns
03-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Wow, very powerful!

lorenz0
03-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Shark fin soup is the devil.

Its amazing some people dont even know about this disgusting practice of waste. No respect for mother nature....

You also have to remember that 80% of the public just don't care about issues and have the "never in my lifetime" view on most topic's. Tuna for instance... I have boycotted tuna no matter how good it is for you.

WildAID is an organization that I strongly support, same with reefcheck.

reefermadness
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Can you fill me in on the tuna problem? Are you just talking mercury or something else....net fishing perhaps?

On a related note have you guys watched "the cove" yet......if not I definately sugest it.

Canuckgod420
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
We watched The Cove last night.....made my stomach turn.

amoreira
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Tuna, particularly the Bluefin species among others, is being overfished by factory boats. The Japanese are stockpiling Bluefin in hopes of cornering the market when it goes extinct. The Americans have been overfishers, as well as the Europeans. Canadians aren't so bad as the regulations are in place and the fisherment follow them. Populations are at 15% of pre-fishery levels as demand for Sushi is high. Recently there's been a push to put Bluefins on the CITES list. Canada has sided with Japan in opposing this. Shame.

I generally avoid eating seafood, but have lapses. I've sworn myself off of Sushi. I'd like to organize protests in front of restaurants known to serve shark fin soup.

Boycott the T Pot Bistro in Calgary. They serve shark fin soup.

Funky_Fish14
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I am terribly opposed to fishing for sharks in this way.

I was at a Chinese restaurant in edmonton and noticed they had shark fin on the menu.... I've eaten a pretty solid variety of seafoods but it was something I never tried. The restaurant was pretty good so i figured it was worth a try. $30 for this dinky little bowl (like when you get 'wonton' soup in the really small bowls with one wonton), and it was not even very good (even though it had crab meat in it as well). Just no flavour, no p-zaz. (I LOVE all seafood, and this soup did nothing for me)

I never plan to order it again, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I dont know why its so popular.

Now I have a question. Somewhere like a restaurant in edmonton... where would the get their shark fins? I realize 99% of shark-fin fishing is done illegally or the chop-and-dump method... which is absolutely terrible... but I imagine legal/normal fishing vessels around these parts must get the occasional shark by-catch... I supposed they might be inclined to harvest the whole animal for additional sales to the fish catch? Anybody know?

Cheers,

Chris