PDA

View Full Version : Clean up crew

corrosionjerry
03-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Ok / think I need a bit of cleanup crew / I am starting to see some hair algae...

I want this tank to be mostly corals and the like / maybe annome and a pair of clowns

What should I be looking at for the cleanup crew... my first salt tank so I have no idea on what would fit with this setup

BlueWorldAquatic
03-06-2011, 03:47 AM
How big of a tank?

btw CUC's are 20% off at the store till closing sunday. Poster on our facebook/twitter accounts.

For hair algae, mexican turbo's or sea hares, depending on tank size and amount of algae.

Ken - BWA

dunl
03-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Get a lawnmower blenny.

Sea hares - don't they starve if you don't have enough hair algae, and don't most people need to move them to another tank usually?

corrosionjerry
03-06-2011, 03:56 AM
Its 75 Gallon / and another 60G with the sump with refugium / not much algae... couple of rocks with it ..... the tank has been running for about 3 weeks with live rock and sand... refugium has chaeto in it.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Sea hares - don't they starve if you don't have enough hair algae, and don't most people need to move them to another tank usually?

Not true, they readly take nori.

:)

10-12 mexican turbos will keep the algae in control.

Ken

hound96
03-06-2011, 03:59 AM
imo lawnmower blenny is the way to go and they are a neat fish to watch

dunl
03-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Good to know, thanks.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-06-2011, 04:14 AM
imo lawnmower blenny is the way to go and they are a neat fish to watch

They are touch and go sometimes. Can become agressive towars other fish also. I had a LB in my 65 for the longest time, but didn't like long HA, had to be trimmed short before he touched it.

I found my Dragon Goby (black barred goby) would teal long HA off the rocks, they work doube douty as sand sifters too. Only bad if you have corals as they like to drop sand everywhere.

Ken

imcosmokramer
03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
make sure your params are in check too.

szymek
03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
if your tank is cycling then some algae here and there is ok - well I wouldn't sweat about it. Maybe start running GFO to get rid of any phosphates that can be leaching from rocks.

If you have DSB - get yourself some nassarious (they're amzing for mixing up substrate and if something small dies in your tank... they will take care of it in no time)

Other than that my fav snails are: Turbos (good for turf algae) but can be little bulldozers if your corals are not mounted to the rocks. Astrea (good all around). Cerith (good for detritus in your tank).

Those are my 3 fav snails that do amazing job in the tank.

spawn
03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
if your tank is cycling then some algae here and there is ok - well I wouldn't sweat about it. Maybe start running GFO to get rid of any phosphates that can be leaching from rocks.

If you have DSB - get yourself some nassarious (they're amzing for mixing up substrate and if something small dies in your tank... they will take care of it in no time)

Other than that my fav snails are: Turbos (good for turf algae) but can be little bulldozers if your corals are not mounted to the rocks. Astrea (good all around). Cerith (good for detritus in your tank).

+1

corrosionjerry
03-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Checked my chemistry all Amonnia . Nitrite and Nitrate all are at 0....:razz:

PH is at 8.1 or so / have been using some reef builder by sechem...

Using RO water / in any case I went to Blueworld at noon and picked up a few of the Turbo snails to clean up the little algae that is in the tank...

Once I put the snails in the tank it came to my mind... are these guys escape artists and will I have to do something with the open top of my tank ... netting? Is there a clear netting that a person can get somewhere for jumpers and climber outers...:question:

Wayne
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Mine usually stop... I had a FW one actaully come out and fall on the floor. Found him a few days later put him back and he lived another few years :lol:

toytech
03-06-2011, 10:01 PM
cerith snails are my new favorite snail , the burrow in the sand and stirr it around (alot more than nass ) and they eat algea of rocks and glass.

corrosionjerry
03-09-2011, 03:26 AM

What is DSB?

globaldesigns
03-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Personally I would look at a clean up crew for cleaning up deitrus, fish poop, excess food, etc... If you are having HA problems, I would look at what would be the cause.

Using seahares, snails, fish, GFO or whatever else is just a band-aid remedy, and if you remove these, then most likely the HA would return. So you should investigate the causes of HA and see what may be the cause of yours.

things you can look at are:
1.) water flow
2.) excess feeding of coral and fish
3.) excess nutrients from heavy bioload. Not enough water changes.

If anybody can add to this list please do.

cale262
03-09-2011, 03:33 AM
What is DSB?

Deep Sand Bed...

cale262
03-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Using seahares, snails, fish, GFO or whatever else is just a band-aid remedy, ...

band-aid remedies like bio-pellets and carbon?

corrosionjerry
03-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Deep Sand Bed... / LOL I should of guessed that... tx

globaldesigns
03-09-2011, 03:45 AM
band-aid remedies like bio-pellets and carbon?

Yup, that can also be a band-aid....

In my case I didn't have HA... I am using BioPellets to assist in making my system ULNS... Basically the same as running Zeo, which I also have done.

For things like algae, HA, slime, etc, usually there is a cause for it... You can treat the symptons or treat the cause. If the system is new, then the algae issues could just be cuz of the new environment, so using GFO may be fine, as with time the HA should dissappear. But if a system isn't new, then you should look at causes.

corrosionjerry
03-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Personally I would look at a clean up crew for cleaning up deitrus, fish poop, excess food, etc... If you are having HA problems, I would look at what would be the cause.

Using seahares, snails, fish, GFO or whatever else is just a band-aid remedy, and if you remove these, then most likely the HA would return. So you should investigate the causes of HA and see what may be the cause of yours.

things you can look at are:
1.) water flow
2.) excess feeding of coral and fish
3.) excess nutrients from heavy bioload. Not enough water changes.

If anybody can add to this list please do.

Interesting the only bio load was the live rock... and the creatures in it / the water flow is moderate to high and I had not done any feeding prior to that algae showing up... to much light?

globaldesigns
03-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Interesting the only bio load was the live rock... and the creatures in it / the water flow is moderate to high and I had not done any feeding prior to that algae showing up... to much light?

I missed your post about your tank being only 3 weeks old. In this case I wouldn't be too concerned. Your tank is new. Personally I wouldn't waste your money on GFO, but if you want, go for it.

With any new system, you will have your cycle, this does also include a time of possible algae, slime, etc. If things are in check, this should decipate.

Of course I still recommend a clean up crew, but as I stated in my first post. To assist in the clean up of your tank, NOT to cure an issue within.

Good luck!!! Have Fun!!!

EDIT: OH YEAH, WELCOME TO CANREEF!

DOMINATOR
03-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Hi guys, ive been reading your posts on HA and found that there is some great advice here, however i have a question on cycling. I am just about to start but am not sure on a coupke of things....Once rock, sand and water are in tank, should lights be off or on? Should i throw a shrimp in there from the grocery store??? Do i get a clean up crew right away? Do i start water changes right away???? any advice would be appreciated