PDA

View Full Version : Water Parameters Question

Baldy
03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Hello all,

I just recieved the package with the rest of my test kits, and ran all the tests on my tank. It has been running for about 4 weeks now with nothing but substrate in it awaiting LR. All powerheads, skimmer, and canister filter ar working great. My question is regarding calcium and alkalinity levels. I mixed up RODI water with H2Ocean salt to a salinity of 1.0255 according to my hydrometer (yeah i know, a refractometer is next on the list), and my parameters as of today are:

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrites = 0.1ppm
Nitrates = 0ppm
Phosphates = 0ppm
pH = 8.2
temp = 78 deg
salinity = 1.0255
alkalinity = 8 dKH
calcium = 480ppm

Im wondering how my calcium can be so high without a high alkalinity as well. according to mykas guide, i would need an alkalinity over 14 to balance properly. i bought a bottle of each seachem reef fusion (1 and 2), should i dose to bring the alkalinity up to where it should be?

Im picking up live rock today, and plan on starting with a couple clowns and maybe a couple zoa frags in the coming weeks/months, but i will be taking it slow with the additions.

Any advice?

cale262
03-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Just following along here as I just mixed a new batch of RODI and H2Ocean salt and came up with the same numbers more or less...my alk was actually a little lower, 116PPM w/Hanna & 125PPM w/API (6.5-7 dkh)...

mark
03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about trying for an exact number for any parameter but be happy within a range. Also to consider before start supplementing your mix is where your tank will end up once the mix added.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php)

Baldy
03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
cale262:

Im glad to hear that i dont have anything unusual going on compared to others using the same salt, thank you.

Mark:

I actually stumbled apon that chart a little while ago and am using the ranges they specify as the guidelines for my tank. I set up a spreadsheet that i record everything on and i use those rtanges to compare to.

from what ive read though, a high calcium reading like i got isnt a problem for fish and corals, but combined with a lower alkalinity level, i could run into calcium precipitation. I have not had any yet, just a few microbubbles from my remora. just wondering if i should bring the alk up to match the higher calcium level, or leave it alone.

mark
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't bother adjusting Alk. What's the Ca in your display?

Baldy
03-05-2011, 11:42 PM
480Ppm

reefwars
03-06-2011, 12:01 AM
480 isnt to bad i constantly ran my tank at 460 ish ....as long as your alk is staedily at 8dkh you will be fine if you dose be sure to monitor your magnisium and alk so as not to affect their readings too much......all in all though i wouldnt worry about it as it will go down in time with water changes...what are you using for salt??

Baldy
03-06-2011, 12:35 AM
all info here

Hello all,

I just recieved the package with the rest of my test kits, and ran all the tests on my tank. It has been running for about 4 weeks now with nothing but substrate in it awaiting LR. All powerheads, skimmer, and canister filter ar working great. My question is regarding calcium and alkalinity levels. I mixed up RODI water with H2Ocean salt to a salinity of 1.0255 according to my hydrometer (yeah i know, a refractometer is next on the list), and my parameters as of today are:

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrites = 0.1ppm
Nitrates = 0ppm
Phosphates = 0ppm
pH = 8.2
temp = 78 deg
salinity = 1.0255
alkalinity = 8 dKH
calcium = 480ppm

Im wondering how my calcium can be so high without a high alkalinity as well. according to mykas guide, i would need an alkalinity over 14 to balance properly. i bought a bottle of each seachem reef fusion (1 and 2), should i dose to bring the alkalinity up to where it should be?

Im picking up live rock today, and plan on starting with a couple clowns and maybe a couple zoa frags in the coming weeks/months, but i will be taking it slow with the additions.

Any advice?

fishytime
03-06-2011, 01:19 AM
you dont even have rock in the tank yet bud......I wouldnt worry about what your levels are at right now......BTW you need to know what your Mg levels are at for things(the big three) to be balanced:wink:

Baldy
03-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Lol, I actually got the rock in today. Looks so much better than the tank with just sand :P. I haven't read much about magnesium, but I've read into the relationship between alk and calcium. From what I've read if the alk isnt high enough, the calcium will precipitate out of the water. That is what lead to me asking about this in the first place. But I'm not having any problems so far, so I guess I'll just leave it for right now.

Coleus
03-06-2011, 04:22 AM
you should watch this. This explains everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI52IyBtjp0&feature=player_embedded#at=169