PDA

View Full Version : Finding Garbage in Royal Nature Salt

BlueTang<3
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
So when i first opened the pail the top of the salt was covered in hair, thought well thats nasty scooped it out and threw it in the garbage. I have since found about 4 peices of black garbage bags in my pail and getting fed up with it. What kind of crap am i using in my tank? Used reefers best for 1.5 years and never found garbage.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/bluetang3/IMG_2213.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/bluetang3/IMG_2212.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/bluetang3/IMG_2211.jpg

Wayne
03-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Hum thats shitty... I have always used IO and IO Reef Crystals without any "extras" in the pail :biggrin:

MitchM
03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
If you start finding fingers and toes, I'd say someone fell into the mixing machine on their way to carrying out the garbage.

Seriously though, that's poor quality control. First time I've heard of that. Can you exchange the pail?

fishytime
03-05-2011, 02:51 PM
I sortta politely tried to warn people about this salt a couple months back when the announcement was made........your not the only one with these issues....

Jintaow
03-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I've not found anything in mine yet. But everything at that place seems very pricing for all cash sales. Just a thought.

fishoholic
03-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow that sucks :sad: I use IO and while it's not the best salt out there thankfully I've never found unwanted extras in it.

Flash
03-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Wow that sucks :sad: I use IO and while it's not the best salt out there thankfully I've never found unwanted extras in it.

I found a t-shirt once!! lmao!!

Wes contact the salt people and send them the pics you have taken! they need to know what's going on!

fencer
03-05-2011, 04:24 PM
refund wes

fishoholic
03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I found a t-shirt once!! lmao!!

Wes contact the salt people and send them the pics you have taken! they need to know what's going on!

:lol: Oh ya I forgot I have found t-shirts, but wrapped in a separate plastic bag, not mixed in with the salt.

lockrookie
03-05-2011, 04:57 PM
maybe its a salt mixture from an area of the ocean they used to dump garbage in.... ad they are going for that realistic reef...

i too would contact the mfg who knows they mmay send yua huge supply of replacement salt.. my sister lwas gets free crap from doing that.

phi delt reefer
03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
lol thats what must make it "unique" :D

Twinn
03-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I've not found anything in mine yet. But everything at that place seems very pricing for all cash sales. Just a thought.

People like this **** me off. Brand new account and only one post. Guessing you own a store that does not sell Royal Nature. :2gunfire: Jintaow

BlueWorldAquatic
03-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Shhhhh!!!

Don't tell the supplier, they may increase the price for the extra trace elements....

Ken - BWA

RedCoralEdmonton
03-05-2011, 07:14 PM
lol that is too funny, maybe you need to roll the bucket to evenly disperse the added benefits bahaha....

Steve

Snappy
03-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear that Wes, as with anything from Coral Master you have a money back guarantee so I will gladly take the salt back & refund your money. This is the first I've heard of any foreign objects being found in the salt but things can happen. I've had "one off" issues with many things over the years but recognize it for what it is and don't let it taint my opinion of the manufacturer or the retailer unless they refuse my claim. I am still confident that the actual salt in the bucket will kick a$$ on anything else out there because I know it is a great product and use it personally as do several other reefers I respect. I would suggest in the future that if you have an issue you may want to let me or whoever the selling retailer is know about the problem so we can fix the issue instead of just airing "dirty laundry" in public trying to stir the pot. Anyway as mentioned if you want to return the salt (please do) I will be happy to refund your money in full. Again I apologize for the inconvenience but if I don't know there is an issue it's tough for me to fix it.

Snappy
03-05-2011, 08:23 PM
People like this **** me off. Brand new account and only one post. Guessing you own a store that does not sell Royal Nature. :2gunfire: Jintaow
Agree 100%

tparsons
03-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the support Gregg!

As the North American Distributor for Royal Nature Salt I can stand behind the salt 100%. We use this salt in our facilities and most of the stores who sell this salt across Canada have switched over to using it for their coral systems as well.

I apologize for the inconvenience and problems.

I am sending this link to the manufacturer - Ron Harel - for his follow-up and quality control.

Please bring your salt back into Greg and he will replace your salt for another bucket or give you a refund, no hassels. I would prefer that you give the salt another chance, as I am as certain as Greg is that this is not a regular issue and that you will be VERY happy with the salt once you have a new bucket.

Please be sure that any products purchased through our supply chain have full customer support and we will never leave you stranded.

fishoholic
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
One other person on reef central found the same as you Wes, 4th post down http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1947927 overall people said they like the salt but.....:noidea:

It's good that the company is willing to replace it, but I don't know if I would trust salt that people have found bits of plastic in. Very well might just be the odd bucket but I would not want to be the one who wound up with it.

Doug
03-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Not to mention, if you're going to come out shooting like that, at least put your location in your profile.

viperfish
03-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Wes, as with anything from Coral Master you have a money back guarantee so I will gladly take the salt back & refund your money. This is the first I've heard of any foreign objects being found in the salt but things can happen. I've had "one off" issues with many things over the years but recognize it for what it is and don't let it taint my opinion of the manufacturer or the retailer unless they refuse my claim. I am still confident that the actual salt in the bucket will kick a$$ on anything else out there because I know it is a great product and use it personally as do several other reefers I respect. I would suggest in the future that if you have an issue you may want to let me or whoever the selling retailer is know about the problem so we can fix the issue instead of just airing "dirty laundry" in public trying to stir the pot. Anyway as mentioned if you want to return the salt (please do) I will be happy to refund your money in full. Again I apologize for the inconvenience but if I don't know there is an issue it's tough for me to fix it.

Way to go Greg! Too bad you had to find out in such an indirect way or I'm sure this would have been settled long before now!

reefan
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Garbage aside how did the salt mix and what are the parameters? I use the salt myself and it is great stuff. A couple of pieces of shredded plastic will not get into your reef unless you are pouring the salt in directly. Again the big question is how did the salt mix and what are the parameters? If I found plastic or something in my salt bucket I would just let my retailer know so they can resolve the issue, not start a "drama" thread.

fishoholic
03-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I believe it was more to create awareness then cause drama, and probably also to see if anyone else has had any issues.

Gooly001
03-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow, it's sad to see that the drama continues. (drama being caused by snyde comments made by competing vendor) I was really hoping that when we left last time it would settle down. Now it appears that there's another victim that they are preying on. Fight on Greg, don't let them get to you.

Cheers,

Paul

jorjef
03-05-2011, 10:25 PM
It's plastic... big deal. One of the supporting vendors has a shipment coming in next week and I'm not about to cancel my order due to a little hiccup in packaging.....Test the salt if it tests good no problem.. as far as "ya but this and ya but that!!" ya buts live in the woods.

Doug
03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Ok, its been taken care of. Lets call it a day.

Snappy
03-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I sent a PM to Wes earlier this afternoon so we can get this resolved.

Aquattro
03-06-2011, 01:42 AM

The regular account holder at this IP address has received a PM about this...

BlueTang<3
03-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Wow I did not expect this, I posted to see peoples reactions as i am almost out of salt and was going to order a large quantity of this. Just wanted to see if i had a bad batch or this was a happening occurrence. I got your message Greg and appreciate your customer service i am not too worried its not like there is garbage in the salt.

cwatkins
03-06-2011, 02:07 AM
The regular account holder at this IP address has received a PM about this...

Perfect. Keep the trolls in the forest where they belong :mrgreen:

fishytime
03-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Wow I did not expect this, I posted to see peoples reactions as i am almost out of salt and was going to order a large quantity of this. Just wanted to see if i had a bad batch or this was a happening occurrence. I got your message Greg and appreciate your customer service i am not too worried its not like there is garbage in the salt.

well if its a bad batch then it was one hell of a big batch......been hearing reports of stuff in the salt for at least a few months

Snappy
03-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Wes am I to assume then that other than the plastic bits, you found the salt itself to be of premium quality since you were wanting a large quantity after using it?

kien
03-06-2011, 02:35 AM
:pop2:

While the presence of a few piece of plastic by themselves pose no immediate harm to your reef, I would still be concerned that those pieces even got in there in the first place. If a few pieces of plastic can find its way into a bucket of salt from a manufacturer, what other unseen foreign contaminants could get in there? What if that plastic bag had previously held something nasty?

And ya, I don't see that Wes has done anything wrong by posting his findings. It isn't like he was bashing on a vendor. He found stuff in his bucket of salt that was unusual and he shared it with the community. Don't we encourage this sort of thing????

Also, this thread has demonstrated the integrity of the vendor that supplied the salt. Kudos to Snappy and the wholesaler for making it right.

dunl
03-06-2011, 02:45 AM

While the presence of a few piece of plastic by themselves pose no immediate harm to your reef, I would still be concerned that those pieces even got in there in the first place. If a few pieces of plastic can find its way into a bucket of salt from a manufacturer, what other unseen foreign contaminants could get in there? What if that plastic bag had previously held something nasty?

Never worked in any food grade type factory, have you?

kien
03-06-2011, 02:48 AM
Never worked in any food grade type factory, have you?

Nope, never have. Is it that bad?? :(

fishoholic
03-06-2011, 02:50 AM

And ya, I don't see that Wes has done anything wrong by posting his findings. It isn't like he was bashing on a vendor. He found stuff in his bucket of salt that was unusual and he shared it with the community. Don't we encourage this sort of thing????

Also, this thread has demonstrated the integrity of the vendor that supplied the salt. Kudos to Snappy and the wholesaler for making it right.

+1

dunl
03-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Nope, never have. Is it that bad?? :(

Not necessarily a bad thing...just explains why you seem to have so little tolerance for something like this. It happens more than you think...especially with food items.

Sour cream and grasshopper, anyone? :D

ElGuappo
03-06-2011, 03:02 AM

isnt this the whole point of a forum????? awareness!!!!!

dunl
03-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Not necessarily a bad thing...just explains why you seem to have so little tolerance for something like this. It happens more than you think...especially with food items.

Let me clarify my comments, BTW. I'm not condoning this, nor stating that it should be a normal part of the process, or trying to explain that the vendor accepts this by any means.

It's just that people can make mistakes - and two people out of the number of members we have on here isn't unreasonable....very likely, they may have bought two buckets from the same batch, one right after the other.

kien
03-06-2011, 03:07 AM

Yes in fact I do have a low tolerance for this sort of thing. I would hope that the foods that I eat is safe. What happened to quality control?

Listeria (http://www.canada.com/cityguides/toronto/info/story.html?id=222b628d-8dc8-46af-b1dd-540864db14b8) anyone? :(

The Grizz
03-06-2011, 03:16 AM
Let me clarify my comments, BTW. I'm not condoning this, nor stating that it should be a normal part of the process, or trying to explain that the vendor accepts this by any means.

It's just that people can make mistakes - and two people out of the number of members we have on here isn't unreasonable....very likely, they may have bought two buckets from the same batch, one right after the other.

It might not have even been do to human error, could have possibly been from any sort of machinery used at the producer. I have found a chunk of black rubber about the size of a loonie in a bucket of Reef Crystals once and did not get an offer to have the whole bucket replaced buy the store so BIG KODOS to Snappy to back the products he sells, goes to show how how good a guy he is and his integrity.

dunl
03-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Yes in fact I do have a low tolerance for this sort of thing. I would hope that the foods that I eat is safe. What happened to quality control?

Like Grizz said, these things can happen. My point is that human workers are supposed to watch out for these things, but then again they are....suprisingly, maybe....only human.

Perhaps you should take try working one of these jobs sometime...I bet you would find that it's not as easy as it looks.

Also, if you want to fool yourself into thinking that every food production employee washes their hands before they work with the food you digest, you can go ahead and think that.

Nothing is perfect.

Edit: Except, perhaps, the customer service given in this thread so far. I haven't seen anything except the best from the vendor.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-06-2011, 03:45 AM
regardless the situation.

Wes did not name the source where he got it. Just the product.

Forums are for infomation purposes and more information for the users to make an informed choice.

If someone has a problem with it, they don't need to hide behind an alias. just make your comment.

There are always things in the production chain where these shards came from there is always a chance of contamination and human error, just like buying a car there is a more likelyhood of issues if it was built on a Friday.

heh, but if there isn't a logical explanation, we can always assume the most obvious, it was taken from the ocean with all that comes from the ocean. j/k

Lighten up folks.

Ken - BWA

The Grizz
03-06-2011, 03:54 AM
There are always things in the production chain where these shards came from there is always a chance of contamination and human error, just like buying a car there is a more likelyhood of issues if it was built on a Friday.

Lighten up folks.

Ken - BWA

And depending on the make of the vehicle it doesn't make a difference what day of the week it was built :biggrin:

dunl
03-06-2011, 03:57 AM
And depending on the make of the vehicle it doesn't make a difference what day of the week it was built :biggrin:

Interesting that you say that....my teenage daughter's former Ford Taurus is sitting in the driveway waiting for the wrecker after blowing a headgasket. :D

The Grizz
03-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Interesting that you say that....my teenage daughter's former Ford Taurus is sitting in the driveway waiting for the wrecker after blowing a headgasket. :D

Problem is it's a POS Taurus, Fords #1 worst vehicle made. And not wanting a brand debate but I am a Ford guy all the way, I have a 87 F150 SC with over 1,000,000 kms, a cracked block and it still turns over and runs :biggrin:

globaldesigns
03-06-2011, 04:27 AM

Kudos to you Greg, very impressed with that type of service. I have dealt with you in the past on corals, and will in the future. Very impressed with your reply and wanted to tell you.

Another reason to support your sponsors!

Mandosh
03-06-2011, 04:49 AM
I pulled black plastic filings out of my last bucket of D&D, it happens. Plus, I just switched to Royal Nature and so far I'm very impressed.

kien
03-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Perhaps you should take try working one of these jobs sometime...I bet you would find that it's not as easy as it looks.

I never said it looked easy. And no, I would not want to try working one of these jobs as it looks quite difficult to me.

Snappy
03-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the supporting comments many of you have made, they are always much appreciated.

Snappy
03-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Interesting observation, I guess what they say that any publicity is good publicity must be true. Because of this thread I have received a few extra orders for Royal Nature salt today. :wink:

I was sure to ask one individual if he wanted extra plastic.:lol:

All kidding aside I still say this salt is primo and mixes faster & cleaner than anything else I've ever used including RBS which is a good premium salt as well.

szymek
03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I've started transitioning to this salt since end of Jan / beginning of Feb. I'm adding more and more everytime I do a water change. i'm at approx 2/3 RN and 1/3 DD. So far I don't see any improvements or any negative impact. But I need to stay.. my mixing tank is getting cleaner. Seems that this salt mixes really well and clean.

I didn't measure all the parameters. I was only concerned about dKH... so I mixed some in a small bucket and I got 9.1. But parameters in my tank did not change - which is good.

There was a thread on another forum and few fellows were complaining about this salt burning their acros. But it turned out one fellow was was using TMP and was dosing K as well. Then swtiched (Iwithout mixing two different salts) directly to RN and continued dosing K.

All in all - it looks like it's good salt to me. I bought it as they had a huge promo on this salt in our area - and I'm glad that I have. So far I haven't found any extras (but i'm still on my first bucket).

Snappy
03-12-2011, 05:09 AM
I got a call from the owner of Royal Nature today and must say I am impressed with their customer service. Ron explained how plastic can on rare occassions get into their salt which makes perfect sense to me. First the salt is made in just 300 kilogram batches so they can maintain the highest quality, to put it in perspective this equates to about 13 buckets per batch. The chemicals are weighed and kept in plastic bags to keep the humidity out and the various bags are then dumped into the mixer manually by a worker. This is where the "shredded plastic" can come into play. Occasionally when the worker is emptying a bag of salt chemicals into the mixer he can let the bag hang a bit too low & the bag gets hit by the mixer blade and puts a few shreds of plastic into the mix. The bags are clean plastic and will cause no harm whatsoever to the salt mix but obviously doesn't look good if there is no understanding of how it happens. Has this happened before, yes---- will it happen again--- more than likely. Is the actual salt itself still the best???? Hell yeah!! If Royal Nature made salt in batches measured in tons like most other manufactures any plastic accidently introduced into the mix would be dispersed over hundreds of buckets but since their batches are so small to guarantee quality control when a bag gets shredded into the mix it's possible that pieces of it can end up in all 13 buckets. Does it hurt anything? Not a chance!

Royal Nature is a fantastic salt that mixes cleaner & faster than any other I've ever used bar none & has parameters that come the closest to natural sea water of anything else on the market. I recently read a thread on another board where someone used some Royal Nature but then complained that after dosing potasium as he normally did with RBS that the K was too high. My response to that is Isn't it better to use a salt where you don't have to spend a fortune on K balance because the salt has the proper levels already? That is a good thing in my humble opinion.

Snappy
03-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Wes I sent you a PM to let you know that for your inconvenience Ron from Royal Nature asked me to please supply you with a free bucket of salt. Please get in touch with me so we can make arrangements to get that to you ASAP.

BlueTang<3
03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks Greg :biggrin:

reefan
03-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the great explanation Greg. Wow those are small batches they make, no wonder the salt is so consistent. I didn't think it was a case of actual "garbage" getting into their system. I agree with you - I have never found a better salt either.

Offering this customer a free bucket for a few pieces of plastic is going above & beyond. I plan to keep using Royal Nature and as you stated it mixes fast & clean with spot on parameters.

Ryan
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I have only heard one one store using the word "garbage" to describe the plastic in Royal Nature salt. They seem to be causing problems for other vendors on the board.

If its good enough for Greg its good enough for me. He hasnt steered me wrong yet with any of the stuff he sold me so why would he start now. I know I will be grabbing a pail off Greg next time I am at his place and I am sure I wont be the only one.

Snappy
03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I have only heard one one store using the word "garbage" to describe the plastic in Royal Nature salt. They seem to be causing problems for other vendors on the board.

If its good enough for Greg its good enough for me. He hasnt steered me wrong yet with any of the stuff he sold me so why would he start now. I know I will be grabbing a pail off Greg next time I am at his place and I am sure I wont be the only one.
Thanks Ryan that is a wonderful compliment, your support is always appreciated.

therealshark
03-13-2011, 04:30 AM

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m26/therealshark25/canofworms.gif

Snappy
03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the great explanation Greg. Wow those are small batches they make, no wonder the salt is so consistent. I didn't think it was a case of actual "garbage" getting into their system. I agree with you - I have never found a better salt either.

Offering this customer a free bucket for a few pieces of plastic is going above & beyond. I plan to keep using Royal Nature and as you stated it mixes fast & clean with spot on parameters.

Thanks for your input. Customer service is very important to me & my suppliers. Ron said he would have been in touch with me earlier but he had been away and dealt with it as soon as he got back. The small batch size surprized me as well and as you stated makes for a very consistant product.

sphelps
03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
So did the manufacturer explain the hair as well? That's probably the bigger issue as plastic I can understand but not hair.

Northernseacorals
03-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Hey this salt looks pretty good from the manufacturers website, who in Eastern Canada carries this... I would like to order it and give it a whirl !