PDA

View Full Version : New Swc cone 160 skimmer!. Any tips?

tony_3a
03-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey guys, i just picked up the swc 160 cone skimmer from oceanic corals, i have it running in about 8.5-9 inches of water, Just in the break in period set it up about a hour ago.

Any tips or anything i should know? Sounds pretty simple according to paul, just set it up let it run for a bit, then adjust the gate valve accordingly.

Thanks
Tony

dsaundry
03-05-2011, 01:45 AM
I just got the swc 180...still fine tuning it but what a pile of crap it pulls..very happy, just monitor it regularly and once its broken in...its great...

globaldesigns
03-05-2011, 01:51 AM
I have the SQC 160, runs like a charm and I never have to adjust.

I find mine runs best at full air in about 9 inches of water. I set the water flow to where it just bubbles at the top of the cone, without the cup on. It is adjusted so the bubbles are just at the top, but no water/bubbles overflowing it.

I get lots of dark skimmate. Nice skimmer.

tony_3a
03-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the input, thats exactly where i have mine set!!!

Im very excited to see how this turns out.

Tony

I have the SQC 160, runs like a charm and I never have to adjust.

I find mine runs best at full air in about 9 inches of water. I set the water flow to where it just bubbles at the top of the cone, without the cup on. It is adjusted so the bubbles are just at the top, but no water/bubbles overflowing it.

I get lots of dark skimmate. Nice skimmer.

asylumdown
03-05-2011, 06:33 AM
I have this skimmer and I love it. Just make sure to semi-regularly take the pump impeller assembly apart and give it a good clean. I didn't do that once in the first 4 months and came home from work the other night to find the pump 'dead'

Turns out it was just that enough crud had accumulated between the magnet and the stabilizing pin to effectively fuse the magnet to the pin and it stopped spinning :redface:. I'm sure if I had left it much longer the pump could have burnt out, but once I took it apart and cleaned it properly it started back up like a gem.

Other than that I just leave mine in 9.5 inches of water with full air (restricting the air makes too many micro-bubbles IMO) and leave it. Once I've got it set at a good foam level I don't ever have to change the dial, even when I empty the cup

Brilliantly easy to clean, quiet, and pulls a TON of crap from the water.

therealshark
03-05-2011, 06:34 AM
i just got a miniS, running since monday. seems to be pulling pretty good so far.

Doug
03-05-2011, 01:30 PM
http://96.31.86.198/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61648

Gooly001
03-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have the SWC skimmers in stock.

Come on in and check them out or call us if you have any questions. These skimmers are by far a great value with extremely good performance and quality.

Also, ask us about the aptasia zapper that we have from SWC. This little tool rocks and is very easy to use to eradicate unwanted pests.

Cheers,

Paul

frd72
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Just pick one up yesterday and install it last night.
Still on the process of break-in, but i tell you it is pretty impressive.It doesn't take too much space on my sump, bubble production was good and of course it is backed up by good support from Oceanic Corals..
Lets support Canadian made hardware!!!!:lol:

Skimmerking
03-13-2011, 09:46 PM
the SWC cone 160 is a wicked little skimmer and a small foot print and powerful little pump that is well under rated for it's spec's