PDA

View Full Version : par 38 20k led

tang daddy
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
The bulb in question is: http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=698

With summer just around the corner I am thinking this would be a good time to switch to LED, I am just wondering if there is anyone on this site that have tried the par 38 20k on their nano....

I am seriously considering ordering one but would like to hear some results before I take the leap. I currently have a 10g cube with 1 rbta and mostly softies and think 1 par38 with 80 or 60 degree optics should be fine at 12" above the surface.

If you have specs, pics and maybe what corals you are keeping and also what degree lense you used it would help me make the decision easier.

I have read a bunch of stuff online and I want some hard evidence with someone actually using this bulb, thanks in Advance.

sphelps
03-04-2011, 07:51 PM
That one in particular only comes in 40 degree optics so if you can find one with 60 or 80 it would be better as a single light source. IMO one would be enough but two would be better.

phi delt reefer
03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
nethbet has like 3 of them over his tank. He seems to like them.

another user had 5 over his 20 long then tore it down to upgrade to a slightly larger tank. Forget his name though...

OscarMeyer
03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
there are a couple companies that make those, nanotuners, boostled, and there is one more i believe.

I'm planning on picking up 3 to light my 34 gal tank after i setup my new 90.

Northernseacorals
03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
You should look at a site called www.aliexpress.com you can purchase these same or better PAR 30, 38 lights for under $30 brand new from the manufacturer in china, the same places other vendors are getting them from and jacking the price 70%...

Just a heads up :-)

http://www.aliexpress.com:80/wholesale?SearchText=par+38+lamp&catId=0

Keep note that you will need to search for manufactureres that sell single lamps.

toytech
03-04-2011, 09:17 PM
for the price of those bulbs why would you buy just one get 5 for the price of one and keep the rest in stock , those are wickedly cheap .

toytech
03-04-2011, 09:59 PM
hmmm now that i looked at all the bulbs there is no k rating so there probably all for home use (5-6500k ) thats a shame cuz they dont get any cheaper than that . Still might buy a bunch and convert my whole house over to led lighting , then i could get some 400w metal halides to off set all those savings.

Northernseacorals
03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
hmmm now that i looked at all the bulbs there is no k rating so there probably all for home use (5-6500k ) thats a shame cuz they dont get any cheaper than that . Still might buy a bunch and convert my whole house over to led lighting , then i could get some 400w metal halides to off set all those savings.

You wil need to send the manufacturer an email though the site and they will customize any color for you with your desired optics.... No chagre.

Sorry mate I forgot to mention that :-)

lorenz0
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Order the rapidLED par38's

btw people have burt sps with 40 degree, Personally I would look into the 60 degree

still debating between these or a 250mh for myself

btw....

all those "par38" listed on that wholesale site are using 1w bulbs. companies like nanotuners and rapidled use 3w cree bulbs, much better

tang daddy
03-04-2011, 10:13 PM
You should look at a site called www.aliexpress.com you can purchase these same or better PAR 30, 38 lights for under $30 brand new from the manufacturer in china, the same places other vendors are getting them from and jacking the price 70%...

Just a heads up :-)

http://www.aliexpress.com:80/wholesale?SearchText=par+38+lamp&catId=0

Keep note that you will need to search for manufactureres that sell single lamps.

Hi thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately most of those come in a warm white or cool white but I was looking for something more on the blue side. Also while I could try to solder some blue LEDs on there it wouldn't be worth my while to order 3-5 of these and do the work myself. Thanks though!

Northernseacorals
03-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Order the rapidLED par38's

btw people have burt sps with 40 degree, Personally I would look into the 60 degree

still debating between these or a 250mh for myself

btw....

all those "par38" listed on that wholesale site are using 1w bulbs. companies like nanotuners and rapidled use 3w cree bulbs, much better

Refining the search key words will find 3w LEDs Cree also mate :-)

Nebthet
03-04-2011, 10:34 PM
As Phi mentioned, I am currently using 3 par38 bulbs over my 20L tank. It will soon be 4 bulbs, as I just ordered in 2 BoostLed all Royal blue par30's today so I can get that nice flouresent dawn/dusk coloration.

The current bulbs on my tank are:
2 Nanotuners 12k on the left and centre.
1 IceCooLed 10k on the right.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo269/nebthet1/20Long/20Lfts02-22-2011.jpg

The Nanotuners bulbs have more of a purpley affect to them, which is really nice actually. To my eyes it blends in and looks more natural. The red digitata and tricolor frags I have under them appear to be rather happy with that color combination and are growing.

The IceCooLeds 10k bulb is a little too Yellow to my taste, and it seems the corals under then, with the exception of the lower light acan doesn't like it as much either.

In terms of heat from these lamps.. I can touch them with my bare hand after they have been on for several hours and not burn myself. This heat quickly disipates a couple inches away from the bulb.

Here is a video of my 20L (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnTg9tO6PFg)

For a 10g tank, it will really depend on what color you want. I would suggest 2 bulbs for full coverage.
BoostLed has their bulbs on at $70 each right now and they have the most when it comes to color combinations. You would more than likely like the 3blue 2white w/60 degree optics for the 20k look.

For two bulbs shipped to Canada it will be $165usd (which is pretty much on par with our dollar).

RapidLeds new bulbs have amber color in them. I don't know what they look like in person, as I haven't used them, but there are good reviews about them. They are $99 for the 7led bulbs and $75 for the 5led bulbs.

Nanotuners still remains the same with their bulbs.. the 20k and 12k with 40degree optics are on sale right now for $88, but their 60 degree bulbs are still $120.

When my BoostLed bulbs come in I will set them up and take a couple of pics of how they look on their own over the tank, and in combination with 2 of the nanotuners bulbs.