PDA

View Full Version : Aquamedic doser review

Douglas
03-04-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm looking for advice, on the Aquamedic doser, good/bad? Helpful hints on using them. Thanks

lastlight
03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
First post might help you:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=73353

KevinK
03-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Ihave the single unit, wotking fine for over a year,

3 weeks ago the dosing wheel brock down, called AM usa and send me without no fuzz a new one, when it did not came by mail in a week, I called, and with no hassle thy send one again that was here 4 days later.

so at least support from AM is ++

wayner
03-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Doug:

Sent you a PM - though I've never owned one, I have read about people having issues, and their not cheap.

People seem to have the most sucesss with the Profilux or a little cheaper the Bubble Magus.

I use 2 of the BRS dosing pumps and they have been working great so far.

Just my thoughts.

phi delt reefer
03-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi Doug:

Sent you a PM - though I've never owned one, I have read about people having issues, and their not cheap.

People seem to have the most sucesss with the Profilux or a little cheaper the Bubble Magus.

I use 2 of the BRS dosing pumps and they have been working great so far.

Just my thoughts.

+1 BRS Dosers. $100 each... one pump breaks you wont need to send in the entire thing. Group buy price is $90. Wait till Black Friday - $70

Bblinks
03-05-2011, 12:22 AM
I have the aquadoser 4 that I paid over 500 bucks for. It has been running for almost a year without any problem. knock on wood.

IMO here is 2 major flaws for the doser:

First, if there is a power outage, when the power returns it will not restart the doser, you have to manually restart it by pressing 2 of the 3 bottoms at the same time.

Second, any time you adjust the dosing intervals the machine automatic doses right after the adjustment, there is no time clock on it to set it to a certain time to dose. :question:

Beside that it is not to bad. If I had a choice I would go with another brand of doser just because those two reasons. Also if you can spend just a bit more, take a look at the litre meter at marinedepot. Extremely accurate plus no tubes and roller to worry about.

I am looking to sell my unit if you are looking for a good deal...:mrgreen:

reefermadness
03-05-2011, 04:12 AM
It back siphons.......horrible controller as well.

Way better choices out there.

abcha0s
03-05-2011, 04:47 AM
I have the aquadoser 4 that I paid over 500 bucks for. It has been running for almost a year without any problem. knock on wood.

IMO here is 2 major flaws for the doser:

First, if there is a power outage, when the power returns it will not restart the doser, you have to manually restart it by pressing 2 of the 3 bottoms at the same time.

Second, any time you adjust the dosing intervals the machine automatic doses right after the adjustment, there is no time clock on it to set it to a certain time to dose. :question:

Beside that it is not to bad. If I had a choice I would go with another brand of doser just because those two reasons. Also if you can spend just a bit more, take a look at the litre meter at marinedepot. Extremely accurate plus no tubes and roller to worry about.

I am looking to sell my unit if you are looking for a good deal...:mrgreen:

I replaced my Aquamedic dosers with the LiterMeter III system. I really believe this is the best doser you can buy in this hobby. However, it does still use tubes and rollers (somewhat hidden from view). I bought mine from BRS.

Bblinks
03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I replaced my Aquamedic dosers with the LiterMeter III system. I really believe this is the best doser you can buy in this hobby. However, it does still use tubes and rollers (somewhat hidden from view). I bought mine from BRS.

I always thought the liter meter uses a worm shaft to drive the fluids through?
Didn't know they had tubes also. Thanks for clarifying that Brad.:redface:

viperfish
03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
J&L have been selling the AM dosers for quite a while. They probably move more product than any other Canadian retailer and most people will agree they do not sell junk. Jeff will back anything he sells and if you ask questions before you buy, he will give you an honest answer. I can't vouch for the AM dosers personally since I do not own one but I can tell you AM has awesome customer service.

reefermadness
03-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I owned an Aquamedic doser and I think they are poor design.

Got rid of it and now Im much much happier with BRS dosers.

Bblinks
03-05-2011, 07:18 PM
JL has great service, Jeff is a great guy, he has been straight with any questions that I had with any products. As for customer service with AM, I also agree hundred percent. I got nothing but good things to say about them, but when it comes to aqua doser it does have its limits not saying it's a piece of junk but just there is better systems out there.

viperfish
03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I owned an Aquamedic doser and I think they are poor design.

Just curious, what did yours do (or didn't do) to make you think it was a poor design?

reefermadness
03-06-2011, 01:03 AM
The thing I hated most was the back-siphon. AM supplies you with just enough plastic check valves but they are crap and get clogged so easy....especially when used with calcium and alkalinity supplments...we all know how things can get gummed up....a check valve on a dosing pump will never work long term.

Also the controller sux....you program the time in seconds but you also program the time inbewteen doses but it doesnt work like a 24hr clock...it has nothing to do with normal daytime hours, minutes...its quite strange.

Also when the power goes out the memory of the programing holds but for some strange reason you have to hit two buttons together to make it start dosing again....very wierd.

cwatkins
03-06-2011, 02:10 AM
I love my BRS dosers. One's a little louder than the other, but they work great. No back siphon.