PDA

View Full Version : FS BioPellet with TLF 150 - Calgary

Jackie
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I tried it for 2 days and is about to give up.
I only used 2 spoon from the 500ml bag.
$80

globaldesigns
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I tried it for 2 days and is about to give up.
I only used 2 spoon from the 500ml bag.
$80

May I ask why you give up after 2 days. For biopellets, it takes longer than 2 days for them to work. I don't know your setup, but 2 spoons wouldn't be enough for any tank either.

Whats your issues?

Jackie
03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
May I ask why you give up after 2 days. For biopellets, it takes longer than 2 days for them to work. I don't know your setup, but 2 spoons wouldn't be enough for any tank either.

Whats your issues?

I am thinking using pellet instead of dosing Vodka daily to make it easier for my father to baby sit my tank when I am away. I am not trying to 'fix' my tank by
using Bio Pellets.
But even I only put 2 spoons in, those stupid pellet still stick together like glue.
I wish my epoxy will glue my frag like that :twised:

Jackie
03-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Bump

The Grizz
03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I found it best to give the pellets and little soak in FW for a bit and kind of churn them up by hand. Just some food for thought. :biggrin:

phi delt reefer
03-05-2011, 12:11 AM
you should soak them in RO water for 24-48 hours before putting them in the reactor.

The Grizz
03-05-2011, 12:15 AM
you should soak them in RO water for 24-48 hours before putting them in the reactor.

Ya that's what I ment to say, I keep forgetting not everyone has a whole house RO like I do.

globaldesigns
03-05-2011, 01:55 AM
Good advice guys, I never thought to soak them. Personally I don't have issues with them sticking together... But if yours are, most likely you don't have enough flow.

The trip is to give enough flow so the top tumbles agressively while the mid to bottom area of the pellets don't. If you watch the reactor, you should see the bottom slower ones, slower move there way to the top to be agressive, while the top, then moves to the bottom. Basically a slow cycle through, with the top more aggressive.

I hope that made sense.

Jackie
03-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Good advice guys, I never thought to soak them. Personally I don't have issues with them sticking together... But if yours are, most likely you don't have enough flow.

The trip is to give enough flow so the top tumbles agressively while the mid to bottom area of the pellets don't. If you watch the reactor, you should see the bottom slower ones, slower move there way to the top to be agressive, while the top, then moves to the bottom. Basically a slow cycle through, with the top more aggressive.

I hope that made sense.

Yes, it make sense and I have seem enough youtube...but mine just stick together. I am about to put a mag-float it there to loose it up. :twised: I would like to run them in series with Rowaphos since I dont have much room in the sump. It is getting more complicated.

globaldesigns
03-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Yes, it make sense and I have seem enough youtube...but mine just stick together. I am about to put a mag-float it there to loose it up. :twised: I would like to run them in series with Rowaphos since I dont have much room in the sump. It is getting more complicated.

Very wierd, if they are that sticky, do what the others say. Rinse them good. It will mean that the bacteria will be destroyed, but if it is only 2 days, your not going to have much then anyways.

You shouldn't need Rowa with the pellets. If you do this, let me know how it works out. Always interested in other setups.

Jackie
03-05-2011, 02:30 AM
You shouldn't need Rowa with the pellets. If you do this, let me know how it works out. Always interested in other setups.

That's why I want to give up the pellets. I am happy with Vodka and Rowa.
Didn't know it is so hard to run pellets.:neutral:

ALang
03-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Funny, it really isn't that hard. Could be a bad batch???

The Grizz
03-05-2011, 02:40 AM
It's not hard at all, I had the same issue at first as well. Took the pellets out of the reactor, put in strainer to rinse them really good. Then dumped into a bowl, filled with RO water, let soak fiver night and then broke up any clumps with my hand. Problem solve.

Jackie
03-05-2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks for all advice guys. I will give it another try. :biggrin: