PDA

View Full Version : One day in Van - Which store???

apex82
03-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Got a day after a concert and convinced the wifey to hit up one pet store. Out of all them... which is the best for sw fish?

Timbits
03-03-2011, 01:54 AM
I would definetly go check out JL Aquatics. Island Pets Unlimited is close by there too. If your`re looking for corals mostly i would go check out Ocean Aquatics. They got a huge selection of corals.

Youngster Dan
03-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Perhaps the furthest away, but Oceanic Corals is my favorite of the mainland stores especially for nice frags.

whatcaneyedo
03-03-2011, 03:40 AM
If you're purely after fish I'd go to J&L. Ocean Aquatics doesn't carry as much fish and Oceanic Corals doesn't really deal in fish at all.

VFX
03-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Because they're the nicest, most helpful guys in the Valley I'd have to say Oceanic Corals.

That they happen to have a huge selection of frags is a big bonus.

If Aldergrove is too far then J&L and Island Pets in Burnaby are always a good bet.

apex82
03-03-2011, 05:13 AM
I will check out J&L and island pets for sure... Thanks

Bblinks
03-03-2011, 06:04 AM
JL opens late, well later then most 8 pm weekdays and island pets is even later, doors closed at 9. I don't have much interest for island since their main focus is fresh water, and the salt selection is so over priced not worth the time. Oceanaquatics is a good place also. So many choices so little time.:neutral:

Kermit'da'Hermit
03-17-2011, 04:33 AM
Is it me or do the staff at J&L ignore you most of the time & then treat you like an idiot the rest of the time. I live 5 mins from J&L and I go all the way out to Ocean aquatics for everything because i get a MUCH better service from them.

patd
03-17-2011, 04:53 AM

trilinearmipmap
03-17-2011, 05:04 AM
I have gotten good service from J & L for many years.

christyf5
03-17-2011, 05:06 AM
I have gotten good service from J & L for many years.

same here :biggrin:

htfn
03-17-2011, 05:28 AM
I am surprise, JL treat you guys bad. I never got those kind of feeling every time I go there.

2pts
03-17-2011, 05:53 AM
I have gotten great service from J&L. I like that even if I ask a new person a question, they will ask the experienced person instead of bsing me.

Often have to wait a while to get help because they are busy, but thats ok, I'm a salt addict so I just browse.

VFX
03-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Is it me or do the staff at J&L ignore you most of the time & then treat you like an idiot the rest of the time. I live 5 mins from J&L and I go all the way out to Ocean aquatics for everything because i get a MUCH better service from them.

I found the exact opposite. J&L always treat me well whilst OA leave me wanting. Every. Single. Time.

I guess from the sounds of it, it's a case of Your Mileage May Vary.

Bblinks
03-17-2011, 06:10 AM
I am surprise, JL treat you guys bad. I never got those kind of feeling every time I go there.

Same here. I get awesome service from Jl. The problem with Jl IMO is having a huge online customer base. Jeff and Renee are the most experience there, of course being the most knowledgeable also has it's downfall as most of the customer want to deal with them and ask questions all the time but as we all know there are just not enough of them to go around. Jeff is always dealing with online orders and there web based customers while Renee deals with the retail customers. In there fish room only a few are left who knows what they are talking about so pick the rigt person to talk to is very important. I guess what I am trying to say is just like any other store, there are those who are very knowledgeable who are pleasant to deal with. Those who are able to answer most if not all your question, but vice versa there are those who are there just to catch fish for you. This does not only apply to Jl, it also applies to many other aquarium store in the lower mainland.

Kalifornia
03-17-2011, 06:11 AM
I have gotten great service at both JL's and Ocean Aquatics

There's always the back room of the Vancouver Aquariums , but you have to bring your own net and get ready to run :P

Bblinks
03-17-2011, 06:31 AM
I have gotten great service at both JL's and Ocean Aquatics

There's always the back room of the Vancouver Aquariums , but you have to bring your own net and get ready to run :P

Make sure you have your getaway car ready. :car: :)

Reefpins10
03-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Do they have store alarm at night ? :lol:

htfn
03-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Are you trying to bring your own net

VFX
03-17-2011, 09:10 AM
there are those who are there just to catch fish for you. This does not only apply to Jl, it also applies to many other aquarium store in the lower mainland.

Not always a bad thing sometimes...

One non-canreef sponsor in the Lower Mainland recently sold me a White Cheek Tang as a Lemon Peel Angel for $20 :mrgreen:

Bblinks
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Not always a bad thing sometimes...

One non-canreef sponsor in the Lower Mainland recently sold me a White Cheek Tang as a Lemon Peel Angel for $20 :mrgreen:

$$$Jack pot$$$ I assume the non-canreef sponsor is near JL? Just a shot in the dark.:mrgreen:

VFX
03-18-2011, 05:23 AM
$$$Jack pot$$$ I assume the non-canreef sponsor is near JL? Just a shot in the dark.:mrgreen:

No comment at this time. :wink:

SeanPrest
03-18-2011, 06:54 AM
there are 4 stores all within 40 minutes of each other jl king eds pets unlimited and ocean aquatics. i regularly drive out and go too all of them. if you dont get out often do yourself a favor and go too all of them. if you like how they treat you then buy from them. if you dont then move on too the next one.

Bblinks
03-18-2011, 08:34 PM
there are 4 stores all within 40 minutes of each other jl king eds pets unlimited and ocean aquatics. i regularly drive out and go too all of them. if you dont get out often do yourself a favor and go too all of them. if you like how they treat you then buy from them. if you dont then move on too the next one.

I guess it all depends on the wife...:neutral:

apex82
03-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Yea.... at this point most likely JL and island pets. I will try to make a push for ocean aquatics. Problem is if I get anything it will be a long wait time as I still have to go other to other stores as well as catch the ferry... Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chowder
03-18-2011, 09:17 PM
If you are leaving from the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal Ocean Aquatics is about 10-15 mins away.

Chris