PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Flex PVC 1-1/2" whats best when...

seasmurf
03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi all, Thank you for reading this,

My tank(180) is drilled for 1.5" bulkheads. I think I can work with Tiger Flex PVC 1-1/2".

Is there an online source that can help me lay out my plumbing:

From over flow "herbie" (what size of gate valve do I need)

Between equipment, and for equipment mantanance purposes: what size of union fittings.

I have an idea that whats needed here is 2" joints; however, what size of barb fittings should I use?

I'm not good at plumbing. So.... help?

PS, I have observed forum pictures, Kein is especially demographic (kudos)
But I'm not 100% sure.

sphelps
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
The tiger flex or often called "spa flex" is available locally and you don't used barb fittings with it. It glues into to standard PVC fittings just like rigid PVC pipe. If you're using 1.5" pipe just keep everything consistent and use two 1-1/2" bulkheads in your overflow and a 1-1/2" gate valve. Unions and other fittings can be 1-1/2" as well.

More details on tank size and bulkhead sizes for drains and returns would be helpful, as well as your return pump and desired flow rate.

seasmurf
03-02-2011, 05:46 PM
More details on tank size and bulkhead sizes for drains and returns would be helpful, as well as your return pump and desired flow rate.

My tank size is 180G, drains and returns are all 1.5" and my Danner Supreme Return pump is rate at 4800 gph (which I will throttle back, going to have to)

Where is a recomended vendor of spa hose in Calgary?

sphelps
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
My tank size is 180G, drains and returns are all 1.5" and my Danner Supreme Return pump is rate at 4800 gph (which I will throttle back, going to have to)

Where is a recomended vendor of spa hose in Calgary?

I've never seen a Danner pump rated at 4800gph, what's the model number? Keep in mind you won't get anywhere near the rated output of the pump.

Seeing how everything is 1.5" I would stick to that size pipe and fittings for everything, that'll be more than enough for the 180 and keep things nice and simple.

Spa flex is typically available from hot tub and spa retailers. I haven't purchased it in Calgary before but I know lots of people have so sit tight and I'm sure someone else will post more details.

seasmurf
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I've never seen a Danner pump rated at 4800gph, what's the model number? Keep in mind you won't get anywhere near the rated output of the pump.

Seeing how everything is 1.5" I would stick to that size pipe and fittings for everything, that'll be more than enough for the 180 and keep things nice and simple.

Hmmm, Danner might be the wrong word. It says "Supreme" "Submersable water pump" "Item number 02570"
OK... found it online: Pondmaster WFP 4800 HyDrive Aquarium
Delphinus had a look...

It is really nice, came as a "package with the tank & light".
Anyways, I guess best thing to do is take my bulkhead into the shop...

sphelps
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeap that's a big pump. Check the flow charts in your manual to see what kind of watt draw you'll be getting. You probably don't want to use something like that if it's going to use close to 300W 24-7 (~$20/month) and only push around 1500gph. You could consider a Reeflo Dart which is about the same flow rate but half the power consumption. Could be quieter too, pondmaster or mag pumps are usually pretty noisy and I've never seen one in person over 2400gph rating.

seasmurf
03-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeap that's a big pump. ... ...

Sigh, just when you think bigger is better. :sad:

sphelps
03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Sigh, just when you think bigger is better. :sad:
Just check the manual, if you're ok with the power consumption and noise level you have nothing to worry about. Over the years I've just become pretty anal about power consumption and noise, especially on parts that operate 24-7.

seasmurf
03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Its fortunate for me that all the eqiupment is in a basment, water return head is 6'.
Thank you for your help!

sphelps
03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
FYI, Western Pump in SE Calgary carries Spa Flex.