PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Suspension

Salinity Now
03-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Just wanting to get a bit of input regarding suspending my lighting on a new 75gal tank that I've been slowly setting up and I mean sloooooooowly setting-up. I have currently a 30gal tank with a diy type of contraption made from wood (it's more Frankenstein than DIY :twised:). The great thing about it though is I can adjust the lighting vertically as I need to. I'd like to go metal for the supports so it looks a bit cleaner on my new 75gal tank. I've only been able to find this type of suspension arm system that gets screwed to the aquarium stand. Has anyone used it? If so what are the pro's/con's. If anyone has any other options I'd love to hear them.

http://www.aquaticlife.com/hangers/index.html

Ps: Forgot to mention I live in an apartment so drilling into the ceiling is not an option.

Maverick00
03-03-2011, 01:44 AM
im curious about whats out there as well. im renting at the moment and would rather not start making holes in the roof :razz:. As long as the stand is of decent enough quality i cant see mounting a fixture to the stand itself to be a problem.

e46er
03-03-2011, 04:22 AM
just FYI if the ceiling is popcorn its easy to fix little holes dab of white silicone and you cant tell.

The Grizz
03-03-2011, 04:35 AM
I personally would have something custom built just in case your light is a little heavier then manufacture spec. But that's just me :biggrin:

Salinity Now
03-03-2011, 04:37 AM
It's still a bit of a pain in the rear because it's a high sloping ceiling. Also the fixture in the link that I posted doesn't seem to have a long enough horizontal arm it's only 11-1/2" so it wouldn't be centered over my tank. Too bad the horizontal arms didn't extend as well. Sure would be a clean look though.

imcosmokramer
03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
just FYI if the ceiling is popcorn its easy to fix little holes dab of white silicone and you cant tell.

agreed, and is what I did in my old house.