PDA

View Full Version : 225 Gallon DIY LED BUILD Tank Shots with New True Violet Modification.

themastr
03-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Hello,

So I finally saved enough money and got the approval from the wife to build me a DIY LED Fixture. (took about year and a half) biggrin.gif

Specs of the tank
5ft long X 3 ft wide X 2 ft deep approx 225 gallon
Planning to keep SPS & LPS Or whatever I find in the future LOL
Can mount the lights any height no restrictions
So far I bought 4 used heatsinks from Ebay which measures 20"X14"X1.5"

total heatsink is going to be 40" long X 28 wide X 1.5" height" (industrial grade aluminum heatsink which weights in at 60 lbs) Heavy

So far for LED I need the total amount I will need and will place them this week with www.ledgroupbuy.com
Cree XP-G Cool White - 112 (not sure if I need more)
Cree XP-E Royal Blue - 168 (not sure If I need more)
Cree XP-G Neutral White R3 - 28 (Not sure how many????)
Cree XP-E Blue - 24 (Mainly for moonlights with no optics)
All will have a 60 degree optic unless somebody has a better angle to choose.

I am going to go with TRP Drivers but need help choosing them too. I was looking for dimmable (0-10v)
Was looking at the dimmable 200 watt , 700 mA, 143-285 VDC , model TRC-200S070DT.

http://www.thomasresearchproducts.com/2010...ies09-06-10.pdf
Will this work or over kill?

I want 90 X Cool White off 1 driver @ 700ma
1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 driver @ 700ma
1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 Driver @ 700ma
28 NW + 22 CW off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be the 150 W Dimmable)
run all the Blue "(moonlight) off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be 75W Dimmable)

i think that will make sense. ??? anyone want to tell me a better way I'm all for it.

Also I can add a fan on the heatsink if need be, I will post a picture of the heatsink

4 X Aluminum Heat Sink
Approximate Dimensions: 20" x 14" x 1 3/8"
43 Dissipating Heat Fins
Some Holes And Indent For Mounting Components
Used
Normal Wear From Normal Use
2 Fins Are Slightly Bent On End
What Is Pictured Is What You Will Receive

So I will put them 2 inch on center away from each other so from 40" X 28" ( i figured 20 LEDs across by 14 LEDs wide) therefor 20 multiply 14 is 280 LEDS I will randomly place the other 24 blue moonlights somehow and add the NW in somewhere with the CW. I will be dimming with either a PLC or an APEX (have ACIII now but no 0-10v dimming)

not sure how much heat heatsink will take but i thought mass plays a factor and the 4 heatsinks weighs in at 60 lbs and that's aluminum. I will also add a huge low rpm fan on the top to cool abit. Also this will be an open top canopy. floating above the tank

I'm am not a Guru or anything but have good soldering skills and took this along time ago in school. Hope someone can help me out. Also let me know if I need more LEDS, Drivers, etc etc. Researched and never found one this big so this is all new to me.
Thanks again and I will keep you posted
erick

Edmonton newbie
03-02-2011, 02:54 AM
tagging along i wanna see this through
:lol:

themastr
03-02-2011, 02:58 AM
I sent the heatsink to my brother in the states and it will cost him 230$ to ship it here cause of the weight so i have to wait a month till I get the heatsink. but other than that I can have everything ordered and just build on a long weekend.

hopefully I can get more info and help from everyone

thanks in advance

thanks
erick

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-02-2011, 03:15 AM
WoW that is a big setup.
i am placing my order of drivers from TRP in the morning.
they don't carry all drivers on hand so get yourself a list of what you are interested in then call them.
i could easily help you with the drivers but you need to find out the total LED you need.
I am going with XPG and XPE only. powerfull AC fan USA heat sink i believe 8X12 and placing 40 LED on each heatsink.

themastr
03-02-2011, 03:31 AM
I'm posting on all reef forums for help and hopefully can get a total led amount. not sure if I need more or less but I will be probably getting the 200 watt TRP so I can go bigger on my next tank build. I might overbuild now so when I upgrade I can. LOL

Let me know what the cost for the drivers are? I haven't :=(

thanks
erick

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-02-2011, 03:54 AM
if you go with the 200W TRC-200S070DT you could run max of 82 LED in a string with 3.5v forward at a 700ma
for any of the 200w drivers they need aprox 6to 8 weeks for build.

I am driving my LED to the max royal blue at 1050ma and the cool white at 1400ma.(not recommended for everyone though)

themastr
03-02-2011, 04:10 AM
WTF!!! 6-8 weeks WOW.

Okay well, I calculated 3.0 volts instead of 3.5volts. That's fine I will use 82 LEDs per string. thanks

Just add the other leds on the other drivers.

But man 6-8 weeks I better order now. !!! Damn good thing I'm in school till end of month. LOL

Yes I would run them at a higher mA rating but I rather have my LEDS last a little longer.
This build is like gonna be about $2500 and it's not even complete yet. OUCH!!!

Did you get a price on the TRP drivers?

let me know

thanks
erick

themastr
03-06-2011, 01:42 AM
So the order has been placed. Should get it in couple of weeks.
I still need to order my LED drivers. Will call this week.

Your Order Contains:

* 121 x CREE XP-G Cool White (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 24 x CREE XP-E Blue (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 320 x XP-* Optic
(Degree: 60) (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 4 x Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive 5g
* 168 x CREE XP-E Royal Blue (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 32 x CREE XP-G Neutral White R3 (This product is available for pre-order only)

I ordered extra LEDs just incase I go bigger. Or if any burns out I have replacement.

Will keep you guys posted on the progress. In school till end of month so don't expect anything till April sometime.

thanks
erick

Skimmerking
03-06-2011, 01:54 AM
well its about time man you did some work. good to hear that you are doing one up.

themastr
03-06-2011, 01:58 AM
I haven't changed bulb in over a 1.5 . It's about time. Also my tank is setup I'm just to lazy to do a write up and take photos. Wait till I get my PLC (programmable logic controller) to do my water changes. Once everything is up and running I will do the write up and take photos. By that time I might be moving back to winnipeg. hahaha

Then to my next big tank project. :D

Stay in touch I'll update when I can

thanks
erick

Milad
03-08-2011, 01:43 AM
tagging along! Pictures!

themastr
03-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks Milad

I will take photos and post them online when I get everything. Hopefully I get my stuff in the next month.

I need to buy my TRP drivers still. I will call them tommorrow. I will keep you posted.

thanks
erick

es355lucille
03-08-2011, 05:29 AM
I would like to see this one! Tag.

themastr
04-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Just ordered my TRP drivers. hopefully will get everything by end of month

I will keep you guys posted

thanks
erick

themastr
04-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Just ordered my Apex Controller and PM1 Module. Also seems like my LEDs will be shipped here soon. Still have to wait till end of month to get my heatsink but I should be starting soon.

I'll keep you posted

thanks
erick

StirCrazy
04-03-2011, 08:38 AM
did you order the LEDs or are they on back order? the reason I ask and I wish I saw this sooner is you don't need 4 different colors and it is going to contrubute to more color spotting. general opinion on colors of LEDs now is to forget about blue (doesn't do anything for you realy) and go with just a nutral white and royal blue at a ratio of two RB to 1 nutral white.

I am in the process of ordering a couple royal blue, couple cool white and a couple nutral white so I can do some color testing befor I do a big order.

Steve

themastr
04-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info
I'm really only using 3 colors which is CW,RB,NW. I will have them on all seperate dimmable drivers.

The 24 blue LEDS are purely for moonlights which also has it's own driver. I kinda wanted to play around with the differnt color spectrum so that's why I ordered so many types.

84 CW on 1 Driver
84 RB on 1 Driver
84 RB on 1 Driver
44 CW mixed with NW on 1 driver

24 Blues for moonlights on 1 driver

Something like this setup I will tally all the numbers up once I recieve the products.

I ordered from Milad from http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/. I ordered alot so some pieces weren't available but told him to hold off till everything arrives and just ship it as one. That way saves shipping cost.

I had a really hard time finding the TRP drivers about (10 week wait) but luckily found someone from Reefcentral who is ordering direct from manufacturer and got my order in on friday. Supposedly it's been ordered and should be here in 2 weeks. I also got a 75 Watt from nanotuners which I will get at the end of the month.

I am now waiting for my heatsinks from my brother in the states which I will get end of April. I will take them to a machine shop to get them drilled. Freak too much holes for me about 600. Then I will start my build.

I've been researching on G11 or acrylic to prevent creepage but not sure which one or where to order yet.

I'll keep you guys posted.

thanks
erick

mseepman
04-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Congrats on getting this build going. I too will be doing a large LED build...already have my LED's from Milad.
I have to admit that I'm a little worried about your choice to use the drivers that you've chosen in a serial LED string format. Unless you are doing parallel strings...doing large serial strings like that leaves a lot of risk for being electrocuted during your build.

If you look on RC, you will find several threads where people have been speaking of doing large strings on high voltage Thomas Research drivers...but the experienced electricians always warn them that this could be the last project they ever do. One of the most common issues during these builds are shorts to the heatsink...in using those high voltage drivers...you run the risk of getting injuured from touching the heatsink.

I can't profess to being an electrician...I just did a lot of research before ordering my LED'S. The continued warnings of the really good DIYer's on RC have got me convinced that large serial strings are not worth the risk. I hope that you research this some more before your parts all arive.

themastr
04-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks mseepman

I'm cureently a third year Powerlineman apprentice with an Electrical engineering tech background. I deal with highvoltage everyday and have access to materials that will help me protect myself like rated rubber gloves, volt meter, etc and also have a lot of soldering experience. (benefits of working in my Field :D)
I also have a high powered microscope for soldering the LEDs to see if I left any solder.
The only thing I'm not sure about right now is the Voltage creepage. That's got me researching. I want to use G11 or even acrylic and pot all the LEDs like nuclearHeli in reef central but not sure where to get them from in Canada.

I plan on putting a Resistor and a Fuse inline with each string (maybe 850mA or so) So if anything does go wrong it will hopefully blow before I lose my LEDs. Not sure how much current will be so not sure about the fuse sizes. Also I get alot of help from people at work and the engineers. Always bug them about questions.

I looked into parallel strings but was worried about 1 string blowing up and sending current in the other strings. So I figured Series would be alot easier (+ to -). Also I have a driver per string so I will know which one is messing up.

I do agree with you about the dangers of High voltage. Don't get into it unless you have the right equipment and knowledge. I think that Nuclearheli has been great with his build and I will try to copy it exactly. Probably not as neat but we will see. LOL

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1975251

I'm still learning but have a basic understanding of the whole LED build. Hopefully I can learn from my mistake and help someone else. Crossing my fingers XOXOXO

Oh and don't ever forget the OHM & diode Checks. 4 times atleast.

thanks
erick

golf nut
04-04-2011, 04:07 AM
$230 to ship a heat sink? what does it weigh?

themastr
04-04-2011, 05:53 AM
I have 6 heatsinks and all weights in at 100 lbs. So my brother is going to bring it to winnipeg and I will pick it up instead of shipping. hopefully end of April

thanks
erick

themastr
04-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Well I just got my Apex controller and PM1 module. I didn't realize that the PM1 only lets me control 1 PH/ORP I needed 2. So I just ordered another PM1. but since JLaquatics has all the Apex on sale I also got a PM2, Conductivity Probe and Temp Probe. Mind as well. Freak this HOBBY IS EXPENSIVE. :O Hopefully that's all I will need for now.

GO BIG OR GO HOME !!! LOL

:D
Erick

phi delt reefer
04-07-2011, 12:27 AM
should have waited - the new apex jr is coming out next month, lol.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/04/05/neptune-systems-apex-jr/

themastr
04-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Can the Jr dim too? I need it to Dim LED lights

Doesn't say anything about that?

Interesting and cheap will like to see it when it comes out.

thanks
erick

themastr
04-07-2011, 03:40 AM
So I found my next skimmer. LOL. This is a crazy skimmer. I will buy this one day. Just wait till my LED lights is paid for. LOL

WOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opYkKBVP3M

thanks
Erick

themastr
04-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Hey Guys

Got my LEDs yesterday. Thanks MILAD. Just waiting for my Drivers and Heatsink now.

I was surprised at how small the LEDs were. It's about the size of a quarter. All the photos I've seen made it look so much larger. haha. no wonder people have a hard time soldering these things. Good thing I have my microscope. :D

Also have the new Apex complete with 2 X PM1 module, 1 X PM2 module and hopefully will get up and running soon.

other than that I will keep you guys posted

Thanks
Erick

StirCrazy
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Eric, are you in wainwright by choice or were you sent there? :mrgreen:

Steve

themastr
04-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Both, moved for work, then quit that job now 4th year apprentice so want to stay here till I finish. Not military. How come you know anyone from here?

Erick

StirCrazy
04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Both, moved for work, then quit that job now 4th year apprentice so want to stay here till I finish. Not military. How come you know anyone from here?

Erick

I grew up about 20 min west of there in Hardisty.

Steve

Milad
04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Hey Guys

Got my LEDs yesterday. Thanks MILAD. Just waiting for my Drivers and Heatsink now.

I was surprised at how small the LEDs were. It's about the size of a quarter. All the photos I've seen made it look so much larger. haha. no wonder people have a hard time soldering these things. Good thing I have my microscope. :D

Also have the new Apex complete with 2 X PM1 module, 1 X PM2 module and hopefully will get up and running soon.

other than that I will keep you guys posted

Thanks
Erick

Try turning one on. Put two AA or AAA batteries in series and hook them up to one LED and see what happens (negative to negative of the series and positive to positive of the series). Now multiply that by how ever many LEDs you bought.

themastr
04-16-2011, 02:16 AM
So I finally got my 200 Watt TRP Drivers (sort of TRP). Freaking thing was going to take TRP about 7 weeks to get but this guy I met online got them to me in less than 2 weeks. All the way from China. He went Directly to the Manufacturer. I am just waiting on the heatsink which I will pick up end of the month.

I also got an acrylic sheet for potting my LEDs. I was going to use G11 but can't find it. So acrylic will work the same. I will keep you guys posted. Also I might be able to get more of the TRP Drivers if anyone is interested. I'm not sure if this guy will order more or I was the last one. Let me know

thanks
erick

themastr
04-16-2011, 03:17 AM
I just powered one on and They are so bright I might have to down size the Design. LOL

I attached 2 X AA batteries in series and attached it to a RB LED and WOW. I got dizzy so did my wife and I only looked at it for 4 secs. It's extremely bright and might have to downsize. We will see.

Also If anyone is interested in LED Drivers let me know he will see what is in stock and let me know when the next order is.

thanks
erick

themastr
05-04-2011, 04:39 AM
Okay so I finally got all my heatsinks with the holes drilled. I will post a photo. Got a CNC milling machine to drill me about 1200 holes.(Really $$$) LOL pricey but looks clean and professional. I was lucky enough to find me a place to do the CNC machining in Winnipeg while on vacation.

I also got my SS self tapping screws and plastic washers.

Okay the photo is of one Heatsink drilled and the other is all 4 connected before the holes where drilled.

I will try to find time the next 2 weeks to start and build everything. Really busy with work now so we will see when I get started.

Thanks
Erick

themastr
05-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Trying to upload more photos but can't cause I exceeded my limit of 4. Is there a way to increase my upload limit? Let me know got more photos for the build but don't know how to post them.

thanks
erick

Milad
05-04-2011, 05:05 AM
easy picture posting:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70155

themastr
05-04-2011, 05:08 AM
Will try tommorow

thanks
Erick

Milad
05-04-2011, 05:10 AM
who is the guy getting you the drivers? Is he getting them from Inventronics? TRP is the worst company to deal with. They kept leading us on for 3months to setup a partner ship to sell their products, finally they got us ahold of some guy in the states that tried to sell me business marketing subscription instead of drivers. It was probably the worst experience ive had with a vendor and in my business I deal with tons of vendors.

cale262
05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
...I only looked at it for 4 secs. It's extremely bright ...

I just spit my coffee all over the place :lol:

themastr
05-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Okay so I finally got off my butt and started to Build this $$$ light setup. :D

I have some photos and is a working progress. Enjoy. I will let you know how things work out. Please don't ask when this will be done cause I have no clue. LOL

If you got questions let me know I will try to help you out.

Comment and suggestions would be nice. :D

I have to stop the build today till I get more Artic Silver 5 I will get some on Tuesday.

Photos:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/29981277/1/DIY%20LED%20BUILD?h=77ee11

Hope that works and if so Thanks so much milad!!! much easier.

Thanks
Erick

lastlight
05-22-2011, 03:50 AM
That looks like a lot of fun actually!

AquaticFinatic
05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Whens this gonna be done???

Just kidding :mrgreen: She's a beast and should be sweet when its fully up and running.

themastr
05-22-2011, 07:43 PM
To be honest I could have done about 80 % of it today and monday but ran out of Artic Silver 5 and won't get any till wednesday or so. :( I can't leave cause I'm on call and can only go to Edmonton (which is 2 hours away) after work on Wednesday. This sucks!!! This was my plan for the long weekend. :(

Erick

themastr
05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey guys

So I bought this wire stripper made by Paladin Tools (pricey but worth every Penny !$100) I stripped about 400 wires in 30 mins. Amazing. Use to take me hours doing that before. I will post a photo now.

take a look.

I will also start epoxying the optics before I solder cause it won't sit flush if I solder first.

I'll keep you posted.

thanks
erick

Milad
05-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey guys

So I bought this wire stripper made by Paladin Tools (pricey but worth every Penny !$100) I stripped about 400 wires in 30 mins. Amazing. Use to take me hours doing that before. I will post a photo now.

take a look.

I will also start epoxying the optics before I solder cause it won't sit flush if I solder first.

I'll keep you posted.

thanks
erick

Can you link the stripper? Why was it so easy to do 400 wires with it in 30mins?

themastr
05-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Hey milad what do you mean Link the stripper? Like where I got it? or a video on how it works?

let me know

thanks
Erick

jthunder
05-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Nice looking build, I'm midway through my build as well, just got the LEDs all fired up and tested for the first time tonight. I've got a 240g 6' x 24"x 26" and I'm doing 84 LEDs (42 XM-L Cool Whites and 42 XR-E Royal Blues) running off a meanwell HLG-240-48A. I'm not planning on doing optics, but I'm really interested to see how your build works out.

Cheers!

Milad
05-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Hey milad what do you mean Link the stripper? Like where I got it? or a video on how it works?

let me know

thanks
Erick

link to it on the paladin site would be good
Also how does it work, why is it better than the other strippers?

themastr
05-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Hey Milad

Here is the link,

http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=124&parent_id=169

This stripper is fast and easy to use. The one thing I like about it is it doesn't bend my wires while I hold it. Usually I have to hold the wires so I can cut a small part of the tip. but this one here just cuts it smoothly. all my wires are still straight with no bends. :D

Easy and a life saver. I saved tons of time. Approx ($100)

Thanks
Erick

themastr
06-05-2011, 06:02 AM
So I finished mounting all the LEDS and now just need to wire the CW and NW. I am waiting for color coded wires so it's easier for me to trouble shoot. I also got a hanging bracket welded and constructed out of aluminium angle brackets. Take a look at the photos.
Tomorrow I will see if I can ohm test all the wires I've done so far. Then maybe fire up the RB. We will see.
I used a hot glue gun to temporarily hold the wires in place. I will epoxy the wires later on once everything is tested and working. I will then glue on the 60 degree optics and then coat everything with Super Dope ( supposed to prevent any arching I think ! ) Hopefully it will work. LOL

Let me know if you guys have any other cool Ideas I can use for the build.

thanks
erick

lpsreefer
06-05-2011, 06:21 AM
wow, it looks good! looking forward to see what it looks like on!

themastr
06-06-2011, 01:37 AM
I have one last string of CW and NW to wire up and test before I put on my optics and Super Corona Dope everything.

I tested the RB and the CW and all was perfect except one LED that had the bulb gone. Defective or blew up not sure. LOL Anyways here is the fixture with the lights lit up. I have them dimmable but this setting was set to the lowest setting possible. Way too bright.

:D

enjoy

thanks
erick

The Codfather
06-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Ive been following this for a while now, all I can say is wow. I was considering starting one myself, but electronics has never been my strong point. You'll have to keep us informed on your results.
Bob

themastr
06-07-2011, 12:05 AM
It's pretty simple just time consuming. I can help you out if you got questions.

thanks
erick

themastr
06-07-2011, 05:47 AM
I finished all the wiring and epoxying the optics. Super super super bright. :O Now I will just put a couple coatings of Super Corona Dope to prevent Tracking and Finish up the driver wiring and hopefully can have her up and running in the tank soon. I will keep you guys posted. :D

thanks
erick

themastr
06-14-2011, 01:24 AM
I finally got my canopy attached to the LEDs I will finish it up in 2 weeks. I'm away for work for atleast 2 weeks and can't work on it. :(

I am still trying to figure out the best way to mount the canopy. Very Very Heavy (150 lbs)
I still have to finalize the final wiring and the LOW RPM fans but other than that I should finish everything in a weekend. I hope.

Take a look and let me know if you got any questions

thanks
erick

Milad
06-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Very nice job. You could probably light a small stadium with that!

themastr
08-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Sorry Double Post

themastr
08-21-2011, 05:56 AM
So it's been about 2 months now and I finally had the time to complete my LED build. I put it up over the tank about 30 mins ago and fired it up. LOOKS GREAT !!! WOW !!! Between work and shooting GOPHERS, I haven't had much time to work on it. :D

I can't even remember what I wrote last so if I say things twice sorry. I got my wiring and the Zener diode (limit my output voltage to 9.6 volt from the Apex) for my dimming controls done today. Also mounted my moonlights. I bought 2 X 5 LEDs from neptunesys USB powered and went that route so my apex can control all my moon functions. I haven't had time to do any programming with the apex so I will try to learn and complete that this week.

I also used Super DOPE to isolate all my contacts and make them touch safe. I got two 120mm Fans for cooling and wired it up to a power supply. I will turn it on when it gets hot.

For hanging I used aircraft cable and a barn door track system. I got a 12 foot barn track cut in half and used 2 X 6 foot tracks running parallel with roller wheels. This way since my canopy was so heavy I can roll it pass my tank and work on in without worrying about the tank below. This track also holds up too 700 lbs of weight. Pretty cool to just wheel it one side and work on the canopy below and above using a ladder.

Here is a barn door track setup.
http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/doors-sliding.htm

I will take more photos tommorrow and maybe a tank and canopy shot if I get a chance to clean my tank. LOL been neglected since christmas. Seriously I haven't clean my glass since Christmas. :D hope you guys enjoy and Pm me if you have any question about a DIY LED build.

I will try to get all the cost and what items I used gathered up but no promises.
here are some more photos of the canopy completed.

thanks
erick

themastr
08-21-2011, 06:09 AM
I wish I put this in my build but I finished all my wiring before I saw it. It's a PLED. This is a shunt resistor that allows the rest of the led to still work if one fails open and prevents you from losing power for your whole string. It's a nice feature and well worth the price. It goes parallel with the LED and nuclearheli on reefcentral has it on his Version 2 build. Great Idea and very well planned. His work is just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH4q-CrnSJk

he's even got a video on youtube about it. :D

Enjoy and read his build thread you can get everything you need from it.

thanks
Erick

abcha0s
08-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Holy Crap Dude. If time is money, you definitly didn't save any. Those lights look incredible!!

- Brad

themastr
01-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Sorry it's been awhile. Busy with work and going to have a baby this year. :D:D:D

So far the LED is doing great and been saving some money with Electrical cost. From 8 amps Before with Halides and VHOs down to 1 amp with the LEDs. I'm currently running them at 40% and will increase this week to 50%. I have some photos of my current tank setup but I took these photos with my iphone so it's not the greatest.

So I heard about True Violet LEDs and ordered some. I will add it to my setup this week and see the difference. I also coughed up money to buy an Apogee PAR meter. Don't know how it works yet but I will mess around it with.

I just wanted to ask if anyone notices any benefits with having True Violet in the LED build or should I go and add some red and green also? Is it just for personal viewing preferences?

Thanks and will try to post newer photos this weekend.

Erick

mr_alberta
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Looks good Eric. Did you ever find the parts you needed for your reactor?

themastr
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I will give you a call later this week I need to special order them from Deltec I guess.

Thanks
Erick

Milad
01-11-2012, 12:14 AM
So I heard about True Violet LEDs and ordered some. I will add it to my setup this week and see the difference. I also coughed up money to buy an Apogee PAR meter. Don't know how it works yet but I will mess around it with.

I just wanted to ask if anyone notices any benefits with having True Violet in the LED build or should I go and add some red and green also? Is it just for personal viewing preferences?

Thanks and will try to post newer photos this weekend.

Erick

True Viloets (420nm True Violets) really bring out some intense colors. Especially in the light greens. They also give a good color to the tank.

Reds are good if they are the 660nm
For greens, I dont really recommend them but I do like the 495nm Turquoise which when combined with the 660nm red and 455 royal blue turns all the light to a nice white color and brightens the tank. The turquoise also makes the oranges and reds pop.

Milad
01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
BTW that build looks amazing (just finished looking at all the pics)

themastr
01-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks Milad

I got my order for the True Violets from Ledgroupbuy but haven't installed them yet. I just wanted to confirm that they don't need optics correct? Also I might take your advice and maybe throw in some Turquoise color we will see.

I will have time this weekend (hopefully) :D to solder and take more photos with a better camera. I hopefully can get some PAR readings. BTW What percent in intensity do you run your LED's at?

I might have to do a Tank Journal eventually. :D

Thanks
Erick

reefwars
01-13-2012, 12:25 AM
looking great erick buddy cant wait to see it all finished:):)cheers bud:)

Milad
01-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks Milad

I got my order for the True Violets from Ledgroupbuy but haven't installed them yet. I just wanted to confirm that they don't need optics correct? Also I might take your advice and maybe throw in some Turquoise color we will see.

I will have time this weekend (hopefully) :D to solder and take more photos with a better camera. I hopefully can get some PAR readings. BTW What percent in intensity do you run your LED's at?

I might have to do a Tank Journal eventually. :D

Thanks
Erick

True Violets are equipped with 60 degree optics so you dont need any additional optics. I run mine at 600mA max but to acclimate everything you should start out about 20% intensity.

themastr
01-16-2012, 01:24 AM
So I finished installing about 12 True Violet and can't see the difference with all the rest of the LEDs LOL. I have way too many RB and CW to even make a dent. LOL it's okay I just left them there and hopefully I will notice one day.

Here are some current photos of the modifications today. I still never got to use the Apogee Par meter yet so bare with me.

Also I will be trying to setup another 65 gallon Hexagon Seahorse tank and will build an LED light for that setup along with my refugium. I just have to find some aluminum heatsinks.

Thanks Milad I will be placing some orders shortly to get some more LEDS for my Refugium.

Check out the sliding door hanger I attached to the canopy so I can move it for cleaning and repairs if I need too. Don't forget this canopy is about 150 LBS if not more. :D Works perfectly.

Sorry for the dirty tank need to clean up this week and I will take better photos.

Enjoy

thanks
Erick

Milad
01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
So I finished installing about 12 True Violet and can't see the difference with all the rest of the LEDs LOL. I have way too many RB and CW to even make a dent. LOL it's okay I just left them there and hopefully I will notice one day.

Here are some current photos of the modifications today. I still never got to use the Apogee Par meter yet so bare with me.

Also I will be trying to setup another 65 gallon Hexagon Seahorse tank and will build an LED light for that setup along with my refugium. I just have to find some aluminum heatsinks.

Thanks Milad I will be placing some orders shortly to get some more LEDS for my Refugium.

Check out the sliding door hanger I attached to the canopy so I can move it for cleaning and repairs if I need too. Don't forget this canopy is about 150 LBS if not more. :D Works perfectly.

Sorry for the dirty tank need to clean up this week and I will take better photos.

Enjoy

thanks
Erick

Ya 12 isnt going to make a huge dent because of the number of RB you have running. Make sure you dont driver them past 700mA (keep them at 650mA to be save), they will burn out.

If you want to see what they pop, just turn their driver on and turn off everything else.

themastr
07-28-2012, 03:44 PM
It's been over a year now since I installed my LED over my tank and it's absolutely amazing the colors and the corals are doing great so is the cost of electricity and lets not forget changing of the bulbs. LOL I haven't had much time to do anything to it so it's been pretty much the same since I last spoke about it. I did build another Led setup for my Berghia nudibranches and my refugium lights and hopefully can post photos in a little while.

I bought a photo light meter about a year ago and haven't used it yet. LOL sorry just been busy with basement renos and 2 month old baby and yard work. :D

I will clean up the tank this weekend and post photos maybe even tommorrow we will see.

but hope all is well and just wanted to update you guys.

thanks
erick