PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Setup

Maverick00
03-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Hey guys ive recently setup a cpr 100 oveflow box along with an ecoplus return pump rated for just over 1000gph. Im having a hard time keeping the level in the tank consistent. I have two ball valves, one between the return pump and the tank and the other right after the overflow heading to the sump. I find i keep adjusting the pump valve with the overflow wide open but i cant seem to find the 'sweet spot'. If i have the pump open to much i obviously come close to bringing the water level to the top of the tank, too low and the overflow becomes noisy and starts sucking in alot of air from the surface? can anyone offer any advice how how to keep this level consistent or is this just an issue a hang on overflow has? Im trying to keep the water height about a 1/4" above the overflow inlet to prevent any air from trying to enter. Thanks.

BlueTang<3
03-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Not familiar with this product but seeing it is only rated to flow 800 gph i would say throttle down your pump a lot. It shows once the pump flow is established that then the overflow its self is adjustable for water level in the tank.

The Grizz
03-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Is there set screws on each side of the overflow box to adjust the height of the box? If so lower the box as far as it will go and turn you pump valve open full. Adjust the flow the flow with the valve after the box to maintain it level.

Hope this helps.

Maverick00
03-02-2011, 01:45 AM
the overflow box is at its lowest setting. I think where im really confused about this setup is how much flow is too much? I can decrease the pump flow enough to the point where hardly any water is entering the overflow, the problem with this is the amount of air its sucking up not only from the intake but also from the exit down to the sump making the overflow loud on all ends. If i increase pump gph i can make the overflow work harder and shut it up almost completly but this also increases the amount of water sitting in the last chamber (exit chamber) even above the final baffle. im assuming a water level that high in the exit chamber is telling me im exceeding what the overflow is able to handle.. i hope this makes sense...

The Grizz
03-02-2011, 01:52 AM
As long as the water level in the final stage of the overflow is not really close to the top then it will be fine. I ran a 1200gph overflow with the water above the last baffle.

I would consider changing the pump out for one that is rated for the same gph as the overflow box.

Maverick00
03-02-2011, 02:04 AM
As long as the water level in the final stage of the overflow is not really close to the top then it will be fine. I ran a 1200gph overflow with the water above the last baffle.

ok, yeah thats where it got confusing. Ive been tinkering with it and have it running fairly quietly just over the final baffle. Maybe ill give a smaller pump a try as well, Thanks.

The Grizz
03-02-2011, 02:13 AM
I would definately try a pump closer to the overflow rating, what size of tank do you have it on?

Maverick00
03-02-2011, 02:33 AM
its on a 33g with a 30g sump. the return pump is the ecoplus 1056 with 4' of head pressure and a couple 90* bends I as well as the LFS figured itd come out pretty close to 800gph. The overflow also has a couple 90s to deal with before reaching the sump. Perhaps im losing more flow than i figured because the sump is currently sitting ground height, beside the display stand and not directly under it. (new stand needed to fit the sump...)

freezetyle
03-02-2011, 02:37 AM
are you using the little tube that fits in the strainer inside the overflow. if you play with the height of that a little bit it should allow you find the point were it lets all of the air escape.

Maverick00
03-02-2011, 02:49 AM
yeah i played around with that as well, i didnt find it to be much help, however if i keep the water level close or above the level of the baffle, it shuts the outlet right up. its just keeping the whole setup stable so the water level doesnt start creeping up or down.

Maverick00
03-02-2011, 03:36 AM
i opened the overflow valve completely, and set the pump valve to a point in which i know the overflow has no problem keeping up. I then closed the overflow valve just slightly to bring the exit chamber water level just over the baffle and it seems to be holding. exit and intake of the overflow are also whisper quiet. The intake is just beneath the water and isnt picking up any air or bubbles from the surface. I guess ill try it like this for 24hrs and hope the levels dont change. (im running an ATO in the sump)

The Grizz
03-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Keep an eye on it, you might have just found the sweet spot.

sam
03-02-2011, 04:40 AM
make a durso inlet. check out this link

http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/construct.htm

i made one and it works pretty good. no noise.

its a DIY and it is easy to make.

when you make one let me know how it goes.

:laluot_14:

The Grizz
03-02-2011, 04:49 AM
make a durso inlet. check out this link

http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/construct.htm

i made one and it works pretty good. no noise.

its a DIY and it is easy to make.

when you make one let me know how it goes.

:laluot_14:

This is not an option with a CPR overflow box.

Aquaria
03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I have the same overflow only my problem is not big enough pump and I have to keep the overflow throttled back quite a bit creating excessive noise hoping once i get a bigger pump it will quiet down also because of this my waterlvl in the exit chamber of the CPR is only 2-3" not even above the foam of the bulkhead

pscott99
03-03-2011, 08:25 PM
I can't understand why you would want to buy a new slower pump if you can adjust yours down. Sounds like you found the way to play with it.

Maverick00
03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I have the same overflow only my problem is not big enough pump and I have to keep the overflow throttled back quite a bit creating excessive noise hoping once i get a bigger pump it will quiet down also because of this my waterlvl in the exit chamber of the CPR is only 2-3" not even above the foam of the bulkhead

I had mine running like that for awhile. I was more comfortable having that chamber as low as it was and not having to worry about overflowing in that chamber if the water level in the tank started to creep up. I couldnt take the noise coming off it though, and the air breathing tube didnt appear to help at all with the water level in that chamber so low.

Aquaria
03-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Hahahahaha I laugh because I actually caved a night or two ago and toned it down couldn't take the noise any longer now it's fairly quiet