PDA

View Full Version : Donut coral

sumpfinfishe
01-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried to propagate a donut coral by splitting it or cutting it?

StirCrazy
01-03-2004, 09:59 PM
I read something about cutting only the hard skeliton from underneith then slowly (over a month or two) forcing the two chunks apart.

nothing I am brave enuf to try though.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
01-03-2004, 10:02 PM
havent done a donught coral, but it should be the same as a brain, or plate coral, I did a plate coral, hard scribes, cuts, into the back bony plate, getting deeper and deeper over time untill it cound be broken in half when 2 seperate mouths were distinguishable...
or you can wrap an elastic band around the coral where you want it to split, it will start forming 2 mouths and begin to look like 2 seperate corals, then you just cut it in half
not really worth doing if you ask me....

sumpfinfishe
01-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks Steve,

Underworld, if I used an elastic band would this not injure the tissue or worse, prevent the donut from being able to feed.
It's really worth it for me as I'm not trying to boast, but I have never seen such a bright red donut like the one I have.
Maybe if I used a dremel to make small cuts at either side of coral, and then over time simply spltting it-I think I like your first idea better.

Thanks for the suggestions guy's :biggrin:

UnderWorldAquatics
01-04-2004, 01:14 AM
yes it will damage the tissue, so will scribing the back, the coral splits to try and save itself. It can be risky, thats why you only propagate healthy corals, hench my statment, its not worth it, mabey when there is no more importing of corals, but for now... no

sumpfinfishe
01-07-2004, 05:14 AM
Well I couldn't bare to trade/sell the whole thing, so instead I have tried some drastic measures.
I spoke to guy on RC that used to split them all the time and he gave me some suggestions along the lines of Underworlds reply.
So yesterday I gave it a rap and I'm now praying to the corals gods for a healthy split.
Here's an image after a full day and it seems ok so far, I will be keeping a close eye on it over the next while :eek:
http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/donutsplit.jpg

UnderWorldAquatics
01-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Its pretty, good luck...