PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Settings?

GMGQ
02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've never really had consistent skimmate production from my Euroreef RS-135 (nor with my old skimmer for that matter). I did the gate valve mod on the outlet, with a long 1.5" riser pipe. I took out the airline valve, so the venturi gets all the air it wants.

I constantly have to tweak the outlet gate valve to raise or lower the level to get the foam to go into the cup. It skims very wet.

I find a lot of gunk just lines the top of the inner tube and the lid, before it goes into the cup. Most of the foam will barely overflow into the cup, but I dont usually get the kinda thick foam inside the cup that I see other people get.

I was wondering if the flow into the skimmer section of the sump makes a difference with the skimmer's efficiency? I have noticed that when I increase or decrease the flow, the bubbles inside the skimmer would subside for a while as it adjusts to the flow, then the bubbles will rise up again.

Thoughts??

Thanks.

canadianbigkat
03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I had constant battles with my skimmer, couldnt get it adjusted, would bubble like crazy or not at all. Then someone told me to stop using the aquasafe chlorine remover and use prime, it solved all my problems, apparently the aquasafe has aloevera or something in it. Almost immediately after switching I could set it and leave it.

The Grizz
03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
I just got my reef octopus 3000 recirc skimmer and it was suggested by another reefer to do the gate valve mod to it as well. I didn't do it but I did find that it didn't work with a pump rated for 1 1/2 time your tank volume. So I said what the hell let's try a aqua medic ocean runner 2500 to feed the skimmer. Valve is wide open and pump is not restricted at all, the crap it is pulling out is AMAZING I have to empty the cup twice a week.

So what I am suggesting is to try increasing the feed volume to see if that works.

brotherd
03-27-2011, 04:26 AM
I seriously rec you contact Jeff Turcheck at www.lifereef.com (http://www.lifereef.com). you wont be dissapointed. check his website and phone him if you can.He's serious.You can't get better customer service and rock solid products.