PDA

View Full Version : moving tank about 100 feet away...

reef bound
02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Any suggestions......
We are finally ready to get moving and are trying to figure out the simplest way to transfer the tank water over to the new house. We will only be moving about 100 or so feet to the new house and were wondering if there was a kind of hose we could use to siphon the water from the one property to the other. Would any kind of new garden hose work?
It's a 180 g with a 60 g sump.

ALang
02-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I would try the hoses variety only if you can get the ones for RV's water use (white in color). They are only 25 & 50' long so you might have to hook up a few together, then you'll have to somehow maintain the siphon.
That maybe the hardest, maintaining siphon.

Or you can see how many of you Kamloopers have Python type water changer hoses to hook up together instead of buying hoses. But again, to maintain siphon....would be hard.

Or I'd just save/beg/borrow as many salt buckets as possible and start hauling buckets over. There's no way around going through a ammonia-nitrogen cycle, even if you used ALL of your old tank water, anyway. Why not save yourselves the backache and transfer 50% old water only, just as if you're doing a major water change?? Good luck with your move.

Rogue951
02-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Ummm with RV hose won't the liquid needed to fill the hose for 100 feet nearly be the capacity of the tank??? I'd go get a rubbermaid tub for the new place, make fresh water in it and save what I can in buckets.

ALang
02-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Not if they are the water hose for filling up your Recreational Vehicles:biggrin: They look and sized almost exactly like the regular garden hoses except they are not treated for anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc... that maybe detrimental to your tank inhabitant.

reef bound
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the input. We're just looking at all the options that may be the easiest......and if this idea were feasible, the new house is below the old house so gravity would be on our side. We've got a few more days, so I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Again, thanks.

mark
02-28-2011, 12:25 AM
just mix up say about 75% new water and just bring over the remaining from the old tank

The Grizz
02-28-2011, 02:25 AM
It might be cheaper just to go get 125' of the clear 3/4" tubing versus buying the RV hoses and just run a small pump to help with the flow or just do the old fashion bucket bragade.