PDA

View Full Version : Mysis Shrimp Stink!

MarkoD
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
so i've started feeding PE mysis shrimp to my tank and i've noticed that it leaves a film on the surface of the water and stinks everything up.....

i cant even get the smell off my hands (washed over 10 times with soap)

I have 2 powerheads pointed at the surface of the water but it doesnt seem to be helping with the nasty smell

any suggestions?

Aquattro
02-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I've been using it for years, can't say I've had that problem. I don't touch it with my hands though....

Leah
02-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Are you draining and rinsing it?

ALang
02-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Mine never smells like that, usually a clean seafood smell, if I noticed it at all. Bet the batch is rotten. I rinse mine prior to feeding, too, maybe that's why I don't notice a film on the water, either.

Better return it to where you've bought it for a refund. Can't be good.
Don't feed it to your fish, lest they get sick from it. If they even touch it at all.

Aquattro
02-25-2011, 10:33 PM

I am..

Leah
02-25-2011, 10:37 PM
I am..

Good boy! :wink:

MarkoD
02-25-2011, 10:39 PM
the fish have been eating it.... but how do i rinse it?

i usually just thaw the cube and pour it into a teespoon and then drop in a little at a time

globaldesigns
02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Mine never smells like that, usually a clean seafood smell

You made me chuckle. What exactly is a clean seafood smell?

FYI, fresh seafood never has a smell, if it does smell, then it isn't fresh. Remember this when buying seafood for your family to eat.

Leah
02-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Melt it... squeeze out liquid (I use a plastic spoon) and rinse in tank water or sometimes I use top off water. :biggrin:

toytech
02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
I had this problem in the past , not with mysis but with a type of flake food i was using . The film is from fatty acids in the food (causes the nasty smell too ) to fix it i pointed my 2 powerheads more towards the surface . Right now you could surf on the waves there making but if i turn them off there is still no filmy layer .

brizzo
02-25-2011, 11:09 PM
FYI, fresh seafood never has a smell, if it does smell, then it isn't fresh. Remember this when buying seafood for your family to eat.

PE Mysis is fresh water (okanagan lake in Kelowna) :mrgreen:

But regardless you are correct :lol:

ALang
02-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Hahaha...it does have a scent, you know, I don't care if you just fished it out of the lake or ocean...
What I do is I buy a small plastic strainer from local Dollarstore, then after I thaw the mysis, I then run cold tap water over mine.

paddyob
02-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Get a small strainer... dollar store... put frozen food in strainer... run under fresh water and then put in a small container. Good for a couple days in the fridge.

Should help eliminate that. I never use PE because of this probelm. Really good food but I prefer hikari for "clean smelling seafood". Hehe.

MarkoD
02-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Get a small strainer... dollar store... put frozen food in strainer... run under fresh water and then put in a small container. Good for a couple days in the fridge.

Should help eliminate that. I never use PE because of this probelm. Really good food but I prefer hikari for "clean smelling seafood". Hehe.

thanks.... where can i get hikari?

Wayne
02-26-2011, 01:42 AM
I do my mysis similar to Patty,

1. I de-thaw it with water in a cup
2. Pour it into fish net
3. Rinse with RO water
4. Put it back into another cup (or first cup if rinsed) by turning the net inside out and pouring more RO water through.
5. Feed fish clean food :biggrin:

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 02:33 AM

Is it really bad if you don't rinse it? I always just mix it in with shaved Pacifica Plankton and thaw it in warm water. I kind of just assumed the cloudiness was just extra food for my corals...

For what it's worth, it makes my fingers stink too, but then again I'm pretty interactive with the food, every morning I use kitchen shears to shave about half the food I feed off frozen blocks so my cleaner wrasse will always have pieces that can fit in it's mouth.

Madreefer
02-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I do my mysis similar to Patty,

1. I de-thaw it with water in a cup
2. Pour it into fish net
3. Rinse with RO water
4. Put it back into another cup (or first cup if rinsed) by turning the net inside out and pouring more RO water through.
5. Feed fish clean food :biggrin:

Exactly the way I do it but I use tank water.