PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Illumilux - Who's Got One?

gobytron
02-25-2011, 07:07 PM
How is it?

I'm about to pick one up I think...

albert_dao
02-25-2011, 07:08 PM
How is it?

I'm about to pick one up I think...

Don't think anyone has one yet. I only received them yesterday :P

I'll try to find some time to make a quick video tonight.

OscarMeyer
02-25-2011, 07:25 PM
They are a pretty sick light, would be perfect for a smaller tank!

Although I've heard through the grapevine that these are the lower end models, and they will have a "Pro" series which should be able to do what the Illumina does, ( sunrise, sunset, dim in and out, etc..) dont quote me on this tho

gobytron
02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Jl had them and sold out and now have them back in stock again.

albert_dao
02-25-2011, 08:26 PM
@ OscarMeyer

If this is true, it wouldn't be until the end of the year ;)

I'll keep you guys posted.

Jl had them and sold out and now have them back in stock again.

GRUURK? That's... impossible, haha. You may be thinking of the Illumina?

gobytron
02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Went in to JL around the 1st week of February and was told they had come in but I had just missed picking up the last one...

I see now that the website lists them as back in stock.

albert_dao
02-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Heh, miscommunication. I'm the distributor. They pick them up from me. The batch they have now is the very first, fresh off the lines from Germany!

Anyway, Video has been shot, now I just need to make some edits :D :D :D :D

OscarMeyer
02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
@ OscarMeyer

If this is true, it wouldn't be until the end of the year ;)

I'll keep you guys posted.

GRUURK? That's... impossible, haha. You may be thinking of the Illumina?

@ albert_dao

hahaha I knew it! Ill definitely be getting a couple of those to add as supplemental lighting to my Illumina! On a side note any news on the Cerebra or Libra?

Geez i gotta save some coin, Vertex is got some killer stuff coming out within the next year and bit!

Heh, miscommunication. I'm the distributor. They pick them up from me. The batch they have now is the very first, fresh off the lines from Germany!

Anyway, Video has been shot, now I just need to make some edits :D :D :D :D

In for the Video as well!

freezetyle
02-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Anyone know what is needed to control them via 0V-10V port on controllers?

albert_dao
02-25-2011, 09:39 PM
1-10V controller module should be available in six weeks or so.

Milad
02-26-2011, 06:00 AM
they use XP-Es, XP-Es are going out this year because there is much brighter more efficient LEDs. Thats the problem with these pre-made fixtures, by the time they get it through the design and manufacturing phase, the LEDs are dated.

Also, don't expect to use these as main lighting unless you have small tank. 6 XP-E LEDs per 12 inches isnt alot. You should be using 1 XP-E LED per 10-15 square inches of surface area. if you are wanting to grow SPS you should be closer to the 10.

so the strip at 6 leds can do about 60 square inches of surface space, so thats about a 12 by 5 inch wide tank.

and to add to that, the fixture has no optics.... tank shouldn't be more than 10 inches deep and you will get alot of light spill. (optics are a huge part of a LED)

looks slick though.... did i burst your bubble?

Nebthet
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
did i burst your bubble?

No bubble burst here. It helps explain a few things I was wondering about outside the hype generated by these.

I figured they would be best suited to supplement a tanks main lighting, but honestly, the price leaves a lot to be desired.
I was looking at the 12 inch all blue to use as an actinic light to supplement my 20L to bring more of that burst of colors for the corals, but at $175+tx for only 6bulb led unit.. you confirmed form me that it is best for me to just wait a little longer and get in 2 par30 all royal blue bulbs, which would give me 10-bulb leds total with optics.

In the mean time, I will keep my fingers crossed for future improvements.

Can't wait to see some video of these though, just to see what they look like.

Milad
02-26-2011, 11:41 PM
No bubble burst here. It helps explain a few things I was wondering about outside the hype generated by these.

I figured they would be best suited to supplement a tanks main lighting, but honestly, the price leaves a lot to be desired.
I was looking at the 12 inch all blue to use as an actinic light to supplement my 20L to bring more of that burst of colors for the corals, but at $175+tx for only 6bulb led unit.. you confirmed form me that it is best for me to just wait a little longer and get in 2 par30 all royal blue bulbs, which would give me 10-bulb leds total with optics.

In the mean time, I will keep my fingers crossed for future improvements.

Can't wait to see some video of these though, just to see what they look like.

if you are just looking for some "pop" grab a hand full of XP-E royal blues, slap them on a u-channel from the hardware store, throw a driver on it and you have a very nice LED supplement for your 20L. You can pull it off for under $75

albert_dao
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Okay, so I totally didn't spend enough time on Canreef this past week :( Sorry about that guys.

Anyway, some video (scroll down) of a small tank we fired the first batch of Illumiluxes over. The tank is 22" tall:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DxnWrwt7Voag%26feature%3Drelated&h=7fa7f

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DjccsBLxRlFc%26feature%3Drelated&h=7fa7f

Yes, I know it's Freshwater - But I like pea puffers!

Also, Ken at Sea U Marine has put a few more units over his display to supplement his SR260...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=341827&id=339077275866

OscarMeyer
03-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Ken's display looks awesome!! what are the dimensions on that tank?

the 2 illumiluxs definitely make a nice supplement!

Wanderer
03-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Umm according to the facebook page the tank is 36 x 36 x 27 high

wow

albert_dao
03-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Update by Jeremy @ Premium Aquatics:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1992015